Kronos XTR Easiest way to adjust servo saver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be hell on the servo, but will definitely get rid of any play. I haven't looked anywhere for a replacement spring yet myself, but am going to look outside of the rc industry and see what I can find when i get a chance.
Now that I have some measurements of what comes stock, maybe I can find something.
I don't see how it would be any worse, as its still going to have a servo saver

I'm not a fan of C spring, Kinborough style servo savers. There's a limit to how much spring resistance you pack into a servo mounted servo saver.

Don't get me wrong - they can work fine on pan cars or touring cars - but generally not suitable for much bigger, heavier vehicles.

Going from a soft, stock spring in the Corally Kronos, tightening it up all the way - only to put a softer, C spring, servo mounted horn/saver doesn't seem like progress to me - or am I missing something? 🤔

Guys! Check out this page!
https://www.leespring.co.uk/compression-springs

View attachment 2483

This explains how to measure the spring and then your can put all that in the filter and voila!

There's a few like this:
View attachment 2484

No idea what a music wire is. Also wonder what the load rating is on the stock one...?
The load rating on the stock spring would have to be lower, being made from a thinner wire. This spring at 240ish N spring would require about 24kg of weight to fully compress the spring. Sounds ball-park to me.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of C spring, Kinborough style servo savers. There's a limit to how much spring resistance you pack into a servo mounted servo saver.

Don't get me wrong - they can work fine on pan cars or touring cars - but generally not suitable for much bigger, heavier vehicles.

Going from a soft, stock spring in the Corally Kronos, tightening it up all the way - only to put a softer, C spring, servo mounted horn/saver doesn't seem like progress to me - or am I missing something? 🤔

The load rating on the stock spring would have to be lower, being made from a thinner wire. This spring at 240ish N spring would require about 24kg of weight to fully compress the spring. Sounds ball-park to me.
Ok so we're thinking the following spring might be a good fit.

Part Number: LC 085J 0 M
Screenshot_20220608-081634.png

Now I'd just like to understand what's the difference between hole diameter and rod diameter?

I just want to make sure it'll fit in the post, did you happen to measure the diameter of that @Horatio ?
My calculations would be that of the outside diameter is 18.29 and the wire diameter is 2.16 then the inner diameter must be 18.29-(2.16x2) = 13.97. Right?

Ok so we're thinking the following spring might be a good fit.

Part Number: LC 085J 0 M
View attachment 2485

Now I'd just like to understand what's the difference between hole diameter and rod diameter?

I just want to make sure it'll fit in the post, did you happen to measure the diameter of that @Horatio ?
My calculations would be that of the outside diameter is 18.29 and the wire diameter is 2.16 then the inner diameter must be 18.29-(2.16x2) = 13.97. Right?
This spring looks like it's worth a try.

Rod diameter is the maximum size rod you could put into the spring without an interference fit.

Hole diameter is size of hole you could put the spring into with a clearance.

One small issue with this company is that orders below $30 attract a handling fee of £12.50.

So, we'd need to buy around 10 springs to avoid paying the additional fee.

Last edited:
This spring looks like it's worth a try.

Rod diameter is the maximum size rod you could put into the spring without an interference fit.

Hope diameter is size of hole you could put the spring into with a clearance.

One small issue with this company is that orders below $30 attract a handling fee of £12.50.

So, we'd need to buy around 10 springs to avoid paying the additional fee.
Ok so the question is if the diameter of C-00180-145 servo saver shaft is 13.44 or less? If it is then we're sorted!
1654677703354.png

About the handling fee, I'm not sure what I prefer, ordering 10 to avoid it with the risk that they don't work, or getting 1 spring to try first and absorb that initial cost.

Ok so the question is if the diameter of C-00180-145 servo saver shaft is 13.44 or less? If it is then we're sorted!
View attachment 2486

About the handling fee, I'm not sure what I prefer, ordering 10 to avoid it with the risk that they don't work, or getting 1 spring to try first and absorb that initial cost.
If the post is 13.4mm or less, it should work.

The spring is a little longer, which can make it slightly harder getting the thumbscrew tightened without cross threading (because you're fitting it against the force of the newer, longer spring).

I had hoped we could try just 1 spring, but I'm obviously a tighta$$. 😂💵

I'm going to contact the company I think and see if we could test some. Off the back of it, I reckon they'll get many orders.....

View attachment 2486

Welp, if y'all weren't on the otherside of the globe, I'd be in🤣🍻
I had hoped we could try just 1 spring, but I'm obviously a tighta$$. 😂
I have the same syndrome 🤣🤣

So I took mine apart to take some more measurements and I think we'll be ok with that spring.

The servo saver shaft is 12mm in diameter.
PXL_20220608_092258843.jpg

The depth available for the spring is 16.50mm, so yeah it'll be tight but I'll work.
PXL_20220608_092443414.jpg

The one thing that might be a struggle is where the spring goes into the saver arm, that's only 18mm but it think I'll go in, last resort we can file that part a bit. Same with the collar.
PXL_20220608_092347414.jpg

PXL_20220608_092311785.MP.jpg

So I took mine apart to take some more measurements and I think we'll be ok with that spring.

The servo saver shaft is 12mm in diameter.
View attachment 2487

The depth available for the spring is 16.50mm, so yeah it'll be tight but I'll work.
View attachment 2488

The one thing that might be a struggle is where the spring goes into the saver arm, that's only 18mm but it think I'll go in, last resort we can file that part a bit. Same with the collar.
View attachment 2489
View attachment 2490
Thank you so much! I've only just put mine back together! 😂 You saved me a chore. Solidarity bro!

Welp, if y'all weren't on the otherside of the globe, I'd be in🤣🍻

I have the same syndrome 🤣🤣
It sucks when there's a pond in the way. Or the subsequent postal charges, import duty... Yada Yada.

I have that same feeling when I see stuff I love on A main...

I think this spring is going to work fine. As Danni pointed out, one minor issue is the .29mm excess diameter that will foul the plastic arm - but I'm confident that this small interference can be 'fettled' away from both the spring itself and the plastic arm.

In return, we'll have a thicker gauge spring, with a higher rate, and a more positive action - without having to clamp it all the way down.

I'm about to pull the trigger on 10 of these springs with a view to selling the other 9 at cost. 👍

Before that though, I will wait until Danni gives us the heads-up.

It was afterall Danni that found the part - so Kudos - great job..

After that, if anyone is interested in buying single springs, please let me know! 👍

I think this spring is going to work fine. As Danni pointed out, one minor issue is the .29mm excess diameter that will foul the plastic arm - but I'm confident that this small interference can be 'fettled' away from both the spring itself and the plastic arm.

In return, we'll have a thicker gauge spring, with a higher rate, and a more positive action - without having to clamp it all the way down.

I'm about to pull the trigger on 10 of these springs with a view to selling the other 9 at cost. 👍

Before that though, I will wait until Danni gives us the heads-up.

It was afterall Danni that found the part - so Kudos - great job..

After that, if anyone is interested in buying single springs, please let me know! 👍
Excellent!

I'll let you know when I get them. I hope it doesn't take too long.

Guys, for those not in Europe, it looks like this is a global company. Have a look here: https://www.leespring.co.uk/contact-us
I just looked up leespring here in US. $8.08 each, price drops to $4.92 each if I buy 20. Free shipping over $40. I could probably use maybe 5 or 6 myself on various 1/8 rigs I have..🤔
Thanks for doing the digging guys!! Much appreciated 😃👍🍻

While I wait for those springs, the 7075 servo saver arm arrived. Looks like great quality!
It's the first time I see a servo saver where half of it will be plastic and the other half will be metal. It's always been either all plastic or al metal. We'll see how this works. 🤷‍♂️
PXL_20220610_134342712.jpg

PXL_20220610_134429862.jpg

PXL_20220610_134500819.jpg

While I wait for those springs, the 7075 servo saver arm arrived. Looks like great quality!
It's the first time I see a servo saver where half of it will be plastic and the other half will be metal. It's always been either all plastic or al metal. We'll see how this works. 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 2504
View attachment 2505
View attachment 2506
Looks like a nice quality bit of kit! 👍

My steering was less vague today with the servo saver clamped up, but I think what I'm getting is a little bit of torque steer.

I'd like to think this could be reduced by careful geometry changes on the ackerman plate and track rods, but that spring - as long as there is room for it to compress - is likely not going to be able to hold the forces of 830g worth of wheel and tyre going at 20,000 rpm.

Even the slightest angular change is going to result in gyroscopic forces being fed into the spring.

Speaking of which...
Screenshot_20220610_200559_com.gps.revogi.jpg
Screenshot_20220610_201004_com.gps.revogi.jpg

This is why we need tidy steering.

And proper cooling....

IMG_20220530_113634.jpg

Motor Temps were kept within the 130°F after these dozen or so runs today.

IMG_20220512_201556.jpg

Even with all this space - steering is still essential! 🤣

IMG_20220509_221528.jpg

JetKo Tyres grip well and are belted - but they're heavy and place demands on your servo saver that the stock wheels/tyres don't. A good servo is essential, but without an equally good servo saver setup and correct geometry - steering can be......fun.

I'd love to know what sort of speeds/acceleration people are getting out of their rigs.

Looks like a nice quality bit of kit! 👍

My steering was less vague today with the servo saver clamped up, but I think what I'm getting is a little bit of torque steer.

I'd like to think this could be reduced by careful geometry changes on the ackerman plate and track rods, but that spring - as long as there is room for it to compress - is likely not going to be able to hold the forces of 830g worth of wheel and tyre going at 20,000 rpm.

Even the slightest angular change is going to result in gyroscopic forces being fed into the spring.

Speaking of which... View attachment 2507View attachment 2508
This is why we need tidy steering.

And proper cooling....

View attachment 2509

Motor Temps were kept within the 130°F after these dozen or so runs today.

View attachment 2510

Even with all this space - steering is still essential! 🤣

View attachment 2511
JetKo Tyres grip well and are belted - but they're heavy and place demands on your servo saver that the stock wheels/tyres don't. A good servo is essential, but without an equally good servo saver setup and correct geometry - steering can be......fun.

I'd love to know what sort of speeds/acceleration people are getting out of their rigs.
Wow! Nice Street basher!!!! I haven't done any speed measurements yet. Will try to do that soon.

Wow! Nice Street basher!!!! I haven't done any speed measurements yet. Will try to do that soon.
I love ripping it around off road too, but I just had to find out what it could do, opened out on 6S. Turns out, it's completely bonkers.

The SkyRC GSM020 is brilliant. Does exactly what it says on the tin and answers all those questions.

My only criticism is that I want to know the G loading as I corner as well - not just on drag mode, so ideally this should be on the tracking mode as well.

I'll be putting the GSM020 on my Lumineer QAV drone as well and seeing what sort of speed I can get out of it. My Iflight Titan on 6S had 136.2mph last week but my hunch is that the QAV is a good deal faster - it's significantly lighter, although it runs on 4S. Time to find out!
IMG_20220602_194315.jpg

Back