Kronos XTR First 6s run... Complete failer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks and yes, this thing has more definition than my old eyes can perceive for sure.
The camera itself is easy enough to operate, the problem I have is no device to view such HD vids on!! LOL. Had to download gopros handbrake app to lower the codecs so my PC can play the videos..An hour and a half to convert a 15 minute video into something I can actually watch!!🤔🙄🤣🤣
Problems in paradise! 🌴😅

I have 4k TV's (4 of them) but editing the videos - not so easy. I've got 3 computers, 1 which is only for work, am old HP laptop which has 1TB hard drive, but it's 11 years old running Windows 7.
My current Dell laptop is running Windows 11, i5 and 256Gb SSD with an OLED screen. So I can preview the videos OK (the 4k videos are downscaled by the video player on playback), but due to the lack of space, I have to upload them to cloud as is - in their unedited stare.

So, next on my shopping list is a computer suitable for video editing and a dirty great SSD to store stuff on. £££'s

The Hero 11 dies 5k videos, which is beyond anything I currently own - unless I rushed out and bought a Mac - which might be an option for decent video editing.

Anyone here do anything with video?

Problems in paradise! 🌴😅

I have 4k TV's (4 of them) but editing the videos - not so easy. I've got 3 computers, 1 which is only for work, am old HP laptop which has 1TB hard drive, but it's 11 years old running Windows 7.
My current Dell laptop is running Windows 11, i5 and 256Gb SSD with an OLED screen. So I can preview the videos OK (the 4k videos are downscaled by the video player on playback), but due to the lack of space, I have to upload them to cloud as is - in their unedited stare.

So, next on my shopping list is a computer suitable for video editing and a dirty great SSD to store stuff on. £££'s

The Hero 11 dies 5k videos, which is beyond anything I currently own - unless I rushed out and bought a Mac - which might be an option for decent video editing.

Anyone here do anything with video?
Yeah, I have nothing even close to what you have..PC'S or TV's!!
I'm afraid the Hero11's true potential will never be realized or appreciated by me. No way I'm dropping that kind of money for videos.. even if I wanted to, I don't have the mean$. LOL
I have a Dell Inspiron 11 notebook!! Windows 10, which I still never truly figured out how to navigate.. I'm familiar with windows 7 and that's about it. Mac?🤔🤨🤢🤮 No thanks!! I can't even figure out iTunes!! Pure rubbish IMO. I find Apple's operating systems to be counterintuitive myself.

Yeah, I have nothing even close to what you have..PC'S or TV's!!
I'm afraid the Hero11's true potential will never be realized or appreciated by me. No way I'm dropping that kind of money for videos.. even if I wanted to, I don't have the mean$. LOL
I have a Dell Inspiron 11 notebook!! Windows 10, which I still never truly figured out how to navigate.. I'm familiar with windows 7 and that's about it. Mac?🤔🤨🤢🤮 No thanks!! I can't even figure out iTunes!! Pure rubbish IMO. I find Apple's operating systems to be counterintuitive myself.
I can't cope with iPhones - but macs are pretty good at video and music production. Provided you can cope with them.

Your Hero 11 will be awesome, I'm quite sure.

Please excuse the typo's in last post - fat fingers on phone!

IMG_20221126_172609.jpg
IMG_20221220_145053.jpg

I can't cope with iPhones - but macs are pretty good at video and music production. Provided you can cope with them.

Your Hero 11 will be awesome, I'm quite sure.

Please excuse the typo's in last post - fat fingers on phone!

View attachment 3260View attachment 3261
Ur phone has fingers?! What phone is that? I could always use extra fingers (even fat ones)!!🤣🤣🍻

So tride an 11t gear today. Traxxas 6484x i believe was the part number. 4s was slow, like how it used to be on 3s with stock gearing. Didnt get hot so thats good. Tride a 6s pack, and the 11t pinion and the smaller amazon tires didnt work so well. Not enough wheel speed in the air, did a nice lawn dart from 10ft up. Steering locked up, i kept running and it started working again. Either the servo is going or i bent the front chassis. Then the pinion went, took the teeth right off it. Took the truck apart to clean and found the rim on one of the tires shattered , just like the other cheap amazon tires i tride. So i will be waiting for jennys to get oem back in stock. Just gave it a hot water bath to get the mudd off as it was packed full. Have a 12t traxxas pinion but im affraid it will fail too.

IMG_20230115_180626775.jpg

So tride an 11t gear today. Traxxas 6484x i believe was the part number. 4s was slow, like how it used to be on 3s with stock gearing. Didnt get hot so thats good. Tride a 6s pack, and the 11t pinion and the smaller amazon tires didnt work so well. Not enough wheel speed in the air, did a nice lawn dart from 10ft up. Steering locked up, i kept running and it started working again. Either the servo is going or i bent the front chassis. Then the pinion went, took the teeth right off it. Took the truck apart to clean and found the rim on one of the tires shattered , just like the other cheap amazon tires i tride. So i will be waiting for jennys to get oem back in stock. Just gave it a hot water bath to get the mudd off as it was packed full. Have a 12t traxxas pinion but im affraid it will fail too.

View attachment 3275
Sorry to hear. So a stock or amazon wheel broke?
Looks like ur pinion decided to take a walk? Perhaps that's what caused the broken teeth? I've never had a TRX pinion fail but most say they're not great. I know the Robinson and Tekno pinions are pricey but they do generally last along time for me.
I guess I hadn't thought much of it before but my TC combo runs pretty warm in my xtr whether 4 or 6s. I always chalked it up to aggressive programming. The esc has never thermalled, nor the motor had any real issues but the motor needed fans in the xtr whereas the same combo running in a Thunder Tiger truggy the motor never got hot..weird. perhaps the xtr is on the heavy side of the truggy models? Thereby giving the WP-8bl150 a hard time?
I've moved the TC combo from Thunder Tiger to a stretched mt410 now, calling it my mt48..seems very competent there on 4s. That truggy is crazy light compared to the xtr.

Sorry to hear. So a stock or amazon wheel broke?
Looks like ur pinion decided to take a walk? Perhaps that's what caused the broken teeth? I've never had a TRX pinion fail but most say they're not great. I know the Robinson and Tekno pinions are pricey but they do generally last along time for me.
I guess I hadn't thought much of it before but my TC combo runs pretty warm in my xtr whether 4 or 6s. I always chalked it up to aggressive programming. The esc has never thermalled, nor the motor had any real issues but the motor needed fans in the xtr whereas the same combo running in a Thunder Tiger truggy the motor never got hot..weird. perhaps the xtr is on the heavy side of the truggy models? Thereby giving the WP-8bl150 a hard time?
I've moved the TC combo from Thunder Tiger to a stretched mt410 now, calling it my mt48..seems very competent there on 4s. That truggy is crazy light compared to the xtr.
The pinion didnt move. It just took all the gears off. Didnt hurt the spur gear.. amazon rim broke.. i had to get new tires because i had one split open. 2 sets on amazon tires have done the same thing. I just ordered a set of oem tires

The pinion didnt move. It just took all the gears off. Didnt hurt the spur gear.. amazon rim broke.. i had to get new tires because i had one split open. 2 sets on amazon tires have done the same thing. I just ordered a set of oem tires
So you loosened and slid the pinion away from the spur before taking the above photo?
The stock tires are pretty good, very light with great tread pattern for loose terrain. Some report them blowing out at higher speeds but stock gearing "shouldn't " be a problem. Did you get em from JRC? I never looked to see what they retail for but $40 at JRC is a no brainer. At retail I think backflip 6s is my first choice.
Edit..
Oh wow!! I'm sorry, I see it now..teeth are stripped clean off!! Dang, yeah, I don't think you should bother with another TRX pinion!! LOL.
I've never stripped teeth like that on any rc. I completely missed that initially in ur pic..

Last edited:
So you loosened and slid the pinion away from the spur before taking the above photo?
The stock tires are pretty good, very light with great tread pattern for loose terrain. Some report them blowing out at higher speeds but stock gearing "shouldn't " be a problem. Did you get em from JRC? I never looked to see what they retail for but $40 at JRC is a no brainer. At retail I think backflip 6s is my first choice.
Edit..
Oh wow!! I'm sorry, I see it now..teeth are stripped clean off!! Dang, yeah, I don't think you should bother with another TRX pinion!! LOL.
I've never stripped teeth like that on any rc. I completely missed that initially in ur pic..
No bought them from chicagolandrc . Along with the sketer.. was going to go through jennys, but they wanted 20 for shipping

No bought them from chicagolandrc . Along with the sketer.. was going to go through jennys, but they wanted 20 for shipping
So you did go with the Sketer? Good choice I think. The driveline should be plenty stout on 4s. Hopefully it doesn't eat the front center cups and shafts as bad as the 6s rigs. Congrats.
Yeah, JRC has gone up quite a bit since becoming popular..

So you did go with the Sketer? Good choice I think. The driveline should be plenty stout on 4s. Hopefully it doesn't eat the front center cups and shafts as bad as the 6s rigs. Congrats.
Yeah, JRC has gone up quite a bit since becoming popular..
Yes got a sketer, getting rid of the arrma big rock

Welp another half pack of 6s and its broke again. Never had an issue till i started running 6s. What do i do with these 2 brand new 6s batteries?

IMG_20230128_150931607.jpg

3 of my corally's live on 6s, the other 2 on 8s and I never have this many problems! Don't take this the wrong way but maybe it's the operator?? Everything breaks eventually but seems like you've got it down to a science 😆

3 of my corally's live on 6s, the other 2 on 8s and I never have this many problems! Don't take this the wrong way but maybe it's the operator?? Everything breaks eventually but seems like you've got it down to a science 😆
Yeah i have no idea, i don't bash hard. Literly in back yard with the kids and a 2ft tall plywood ramp. I ran it a good ,6months on 4s with hardly any issues.

Ur not alone.. I run my xtr on 4s 95 percent of the time too. 6s seems to really stress it out. I'm not putting it down by any means but I do experience more failures with my xtr than my kexb. The kexb runs on 6s exclusively too.
IMO the kraton just takes the hits better. The xtr handles the power well enough, it's just the extra forces exerted from 6s speeds that it doesn't take as well as the kraton.
Perhaps I need to drive more cleanly/conservatively, IDK.
I will say though that the TC motor/esc combo runs really well on 4s for me. Initially the kexb had a max6/4092 combo in it. Wasn't very efficient on 4s, so, ran it on 6s all the time.
I've switched things up since. The max6 went into my Xmaxx and, wow, never going back to a vxl8s!! Night and day difference there!!
Currently, the kexb has a Hobao 150a esc and Surpass hobby 4076, 2000kv. Runs great on 6s, haven't tried it on 4s though.
I just snapped the steering rack in my xtr last weekend, took a nasty hit to a tree which broke the body clean in 2. Bent the chassis slightly, and snapped the center CF chassis brace.. Doh!!
The rack was fine until a subsequent cartwheel broke it. Yes, I kept on bashing after "kissing" the tree. What can I say, it was still running soo.. I HAD to bash-on!!😜😉🍻🤣🤣
In summary, maybe you should give the kexb a try? Personally, I'm waiting for the next generation xtr, should be killer!!

Ur not alone.. I run my xtr on 4s 95 percent of the time too. 6s seems to really stress it out. I'm not putting it down by any means but I do experience more failures with my xtr than my kexb. The kexb runs on 6s exclusively too.
IMO the kraton just takes the hits better. The xtr handles the power well enough, it's just the extra forces exerted from 6s speeds that it doesn't take as well as the kraton.
Perhaps I need to drive more cleanly/conservatively, IDK.
I will say though that the TC motor/esc combo runs really well on 4s for me. Initially the kexb had a max6/4092 combo in it. Wasn't very efficient on 4s, so, ran it on 6s all the time.
I've switched things up since. The max6 went into my Xmaxx and, wow, never going back to a vxl8s!! Night and day difference there!!
Currently, the kexb has a Hobao 150a esc and Surpass hobby 4076, 2000kv. Runs great on 6s, haven't tried it on 4s though.
I just snapped the steering rack in my xtr last weekend, took a nasty hit to a tree which broke the body clean in 2. Bent the chassis slightly, and snapped the center CF chassis brace.. Doh!!
The rack was fine until a subsequent cartwheel broke it. Yes, I kept on bashing after "kissing" the tree. What can I say, it was still running soo.. I HAD to bash-on!!😜😉🍻🤣🤣
In summary, maybe you should give the kexb a try? Personally, I'm waiting for the next generation xtr, should be killer!!
Thing was mostly fine untill i started playing with 6s. N no if this 1/8th scale endever with this truck dosnt work out , i will just stick to the larger 1/10 scale rigs. Cheaper , cheaper parts seem to be more durable

What happened? What broke? I see the center diff is removed..
Spur screws backed out, chewed up the mount. Rear drive cup, loosened and rounded rear pinion shaft

Perfect team work and calculating the correct spec etc. That company's admin fee for smaller orders is a pain, but you can't fault the spring we run now. It's perfect.

You tried some others as well - how did you get on with them?
Hia, I’m trying to find the post, or the actual place I can get an upgraded servo saver spring.
Is there a certain spring, gap to measure when fitting an upgraded one?

Back