Kronos XTR First 6s run... Complete failer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No too wet and snowy. I have prolines avengers for a buggy I can throw on for a speed run
Just ran my kronos for the first time in snow last weekend. Only a few inches. Packed the chassis right full though.. running 6s backflips ATM. Did quite well actually. I still prefer MT's in snow though, more clearance. The chassis doesn't drag the snow as much, therefore less floatation..can go either way depending on how the snow pack as to what works best for chassis type. Tires too.
I will say, modern electronics are quite tolerant of snow and water.. bearings not so much, LOL.

So im still waiting for my new pinion gears to gear it down some. Usps lost my package, and ebay takes for ever. This second set of amazon tires came. They are quite abit smaller than the stockers. Will see how long they last, i will just be buying from jennys next time. Amazon tires suck unless namebrand

View attachment 3231
Sorry to hear the post office lost ur packge, can't say surprised tho.
Those tires look ok for beating on over mixed terrain. I agree, JRC for the win!! If they have what I need, usually my first choice. I can't believe the kronos tires stayed in stock for as long as they did at $40 for 4.. been gone awhile now I think..

Sorry to hear the post office lost ur packge, can't say surprised tho.
Those tires look ok for beating on over mixed terrain. I agree, JRC for the win!! If they have what I need, usually my first choice. I can't believe the kronos tires stayed in stock for as long as they did at $40 for 4.. been gone awhile now I think..
These tires are quite abit shorter maybe i wont have to regear. I needed new ones because i split one of mine

These tires are quite abit shorter maybe i wont have to regear. I needed new ones because i split one of mine
That sucks. I haven't used the stock kronos tires much. I took them off pretty quickly after getting the truck. I put 5.5" truggy wheels and tires on all my truggies. I don't care much for the handling of 6+" tires.
I do want to try the kronos tires in snow though. Seem like they should do well.

That sucks. I haven't used the stock kronos tires much. I took them off pretty quickly after getting the truck. I put 5.5" truggy wheels and tires on all my truggies. I don't care much for the handling of 6+" tires.
I do want to try the kronos tires in snow though. Seem like they should do well.
I've run my stock XTR tyres off road on grass / dirt and they hook up pretty well. They balloon of course, but it's not such a biggie unless it's on tarmac.

Truggy tyres are significantly smaller and would lower the rollout/ratio significantly.. Not necessarily a bad thing, so long as the gearing is adjusted accordingly. Especially on 6S - it's bonkers popping wheelies etc as it is! 🤣

IMG_20211126_092950.jpg

IMG_20211126_092625.jpg

I've run my stock XTR tyres off road on grass / dirt and they hook up pretty well. They balloon of course, but it's not such a biggie unless it's on tarmac.

Truggy tyres are significantly smaller and would lower the rollout/ratio significantly.. Not necessarily a bad thing, so long as the gearing is adjusted accordingly. Especially on 6S - it's bonkers popping wheelies etc as it is! 🤣

View attachment 3234
View attachment 3235
I find larger tires such as stock produce alot more wheelies.

I find larger tires such as stock produce alot more wheelies.
I think larger diameter tyres sit the truck up higher, which can lead to MT type entertainment. On the other land, having smaller diameter tyres effectively lowers the gearing and gives more aggressive acceleration - that can also lead to wheelies.

Tbh, no matter what the occasion, the XTR wants to standing backflip on 6S. I still have to be careful using the heavy belted JetKo road tyres.

I'll have to experiment with higher gearing and truggy tyres - maybe I can try some speed runs on them. My concern is that the XTR will just shred them. I've got a sets of truggy tyres floating about.

I have wondered what the 40 series would run like - but I think the problem again will be lack of beadlock and I can't stand constantly attempting re-glue tyres.

How do you cope? 🤣

I think larger diameter tyres sit the truck up higher, which can lead to MT type entertainment. On the other land, having smaller diameter tyres effectively lowers the gearing and gives more aggressive acceleration - that can also lead to wheelies.

Tbh, no matter what the occasion, the XTR wants to standing backflip on 6S. I still have to be careful using the heavy belted JetKo road tyres.

I'll have to experiment with higher gearing and truggy tyres - maybe I can try some speed runs on them. My concern is that the XTR will just shred them. I've got a sets of truggy tyres floating about.

I have wondered what the 40 series would run like - but I think the problem again will be lack of beadlock and I can't stand constantly attempting re-glue tyres.

How do you cope? 🤣
How do I cope with tire loss/destruction? Easy, 4s!!🤣🤣
Just kidding. Well, kinda. I really don't run 6s much in my kronos though.
Between the small battery tray that lacks good support for dual 3s packs, and the violent power of the truck I really don't feel a need for 6s.
I find 6s to generally not be sustainable for my budget. Sure the truck holds it well enough, but tires always end up failing before worn out in my experience.
Plus the drivetrain wear..things just last so much longer under 4s power. Plenty of fun for me.👌😎

How's the weight of the new ones compare to stock? I'd say stay with your current gearing since new tires are shorter.. but if they weigh more than stock, perhaps lower the pinion anyways? Stock kronos tires are very light for their size..about 40 percent lighter than 6s backflips(arrma) and 6s talons(TRX Erevo)..

Last edited:
They feel about the same weight. Ran the truck today. No cogging so thats good. Lowered the punch from 6 to 4, was boring on 4s. Still a handfull on 6s.. still overheats, im about to give up on it. Thing seems to break every time i use it. First pack, it broke a shock piston in the rear. Rebuilt it and put second pack in, then blew a front shock. Not sure what went but there is oil leaking out of it

They feel about the same weight. Ran the truck today. No cogging so thats good. Lowered the punch from 6 to 4, was boring on 4s. Still a handfull on 6s.. still overheats, im about to give up on it. Thing seems to break every time i use it. First pack, it broke a shock piston in the rear. Rebuilt it and put second pack in, then blew a front shock. Not sure what went but there is oil leaking out of it
Sorry to hear.. IDK what's going on with the heat issues.. obviously we all use these things differently. I have broken a shock rod end,couple tie/camber rod ends too. But thats really about it. Weird.
I did have a rear shock cartridge loosen up and come apart, dumped fluid all over the rear suspension. More my fault I think on that one, after reassembled and topped up, it's been fine since.
What other rc's do you have or had?
I don't waive any brand flags so, if you have a bad taste in your mouth from the TC, I've been enjoying my kraton 6s for over a year with very satisfying results. The rtr v5 can be had for around $500 or less. Just throwing it out there✌

Sorry to hear.. IDK what's going on with the heat issues.. obviously we all use these things differently. I have broken a shock rod end,couple tie/camber rod ends too. But thats really about it. Weird.
I did have a rear shock cartridge loosen up and come apart, dumped fluid all over the rear suspension. More my fault I think on that one, after reassembled and topped up, it's been fine since.
What other rc's do you have or had?
I don't waive any brand flags so, if you have a bad taste in your mouth from the TC, I've been enjoying my kraton 6s for over a year with very satisfying results. The rtr v5 can be had for around $500 or less. Just throwing it out there✌
Rival mt10 and arrma big rock. The mt10 once i put rpm arms on has been awsome. The big rock has been ok, takes a beating. But the slipper clutch and axles have been the biggest let down. This kronos was my first venture into 1/8 scale rc. At first it was good but the more i use it, the more random weird stuff breaks. I don't bash hard, no skate parks. Just out back with the kids and a ply wood jump i built. Problem is i have alot vested into it, i hate to sell it and loose a ton of money

Rival mt10 and arrma big rock. The mt10 once i put rpm arms on has been awsome. The big rock has been ok, takes a beating. But the slipper clutch and axles have been the biggest let down. This kronos was my first venture into 1/8 scale rc. At first it was good but the more i use it, the more random weird stuff breaks. I don't bash hard, no skate parks. Just out back with the kids and a ply wood jump i built. Problem is i have alot vested into it, i hate to sell it and loose a ton of money
I understand, and you will loose money selling it no doubt.. sounds like decision time..keep going and get the Kronos where you want or cut your losses. This is an xtr right?
I have seen folks use kraton shocks on the kronos, JRC makes that fairly economical, and even tho TC shocks have been fine for me, I feel the Arrma bits are more sturdy.
You could just buy a Castle or max8 ,should solve the esc issues. That BL150 you have could be useful elsewhere down the road? I guess the TC Kuron just pulls too many amps for the bl150a? IDK.
Your use sounds relatively conservative as is mine. The Kronos should be up for what you're asking of it.. Mine has done me well.

How do I cope with tire loss/destruction? Easy, 4s!!🤣🤣
Just kidding. Well, kinda. I really don't run 6s much in my kronos though.
Between the small battery tray that lacks good support for dual 3s packs, and the violent power of the truck I really don't feel a need for 6s.
I find 6s to generally not be sustainable for my budget. Sure the truck holds it well enough, but tires always end up failing before worn out in my experience.
Plus the drivetrain wear..things just last so much longer under 4s power. Plenty of fun for me.👌😎

How's the weight of the new ones compare to stock? I'd say stay with your current gearing since new tires are shorter.. but if they weigh more than stock, perhaps lower the pinion anyways? Stock kronos tires are very light for their size..about 40 percent lighter than 6s backflips(arrma) and 6s talons(TRX Erevo)..
So it's official - 6S is overkill for the Kronos. Yet, there are folk amongst us running 8S and crazy Max 6 hobbywing combo >8 hp.

Wow.

I'm fairly sure 4S is 'more than adequate" for normal use. I suppose in large open areas 6S is more fun, but you're right - it stresses everything - tyres, diffs, drive etc.

My truggy tyres would cope more easily with 4S, but I suppose I'd better stock up with super thin CA, just incase! 😂

That's a shame. I'd hold off giving up just yet. The over heating can be cured with dual fans on the motor. If your motor is still getting hot, perhaps it's over geared for the area where you run?

Pistons don't usually break unless you have too much droop - you want to ensure the droop screws aren't gouging holes into your chassis and that they meet with the chassis lugs before your piston meets the bottom of the shock.

Standard droop screws need replacing for button head alternatives. There is a thread dedicated to it here somewhere.

The Kronos XTR is a great truck in my estimation, but obviously it's ridiculously over powered on 6S. But - it's so nice to drive - it handles like a race car. A psychotic one, but so much fun all the same.

No need to sell up because the truck breaks from time to time - fix it, upgrade it, alter the way you thrash it around or even where you run it around perhaps? 🤔

Kraton owners tend to upgrade everything too. If we're honest - upgrades are a major part of the fun. As is wrenching on our machines when things go wrong. Demonstrate to your kids how resourceful you are and engage your inner dad skills!

This RC malarkey requires a lot of it! 👍

Last edited:
I run 4S and 6S in my XTR, depending on what I am doing.
20million in the center diff helps immensly to soften the initial hit but is still quite rowdy at speed.
I'm going to go with something thicker in the front diff to reduce the diffing out while the front wheels are in the air

So it's official - 6S is overkill for the Kronos. Yet, there are folk amongst us running 8S and crazy Max 6 hobbywing combo >8 hp.

Wow.

I'm fairly sure 4S is 'more than adequate" for normal use. I suppose in large open areas 6S is more fun, but you're right - it stresses everything - tyres, diffs, drive etc.

My truggy tyres would cope more easily with 4S, but I suppose I'd better stock up with super thin CA, just incase! 😂

That's a shame. I'd hold off giving up just yet. The over heating can be cured with dual fans on the motor. If your motor is still getting hot, perhaps it's over geared for the area where you run?

Pistons don't usually break unless you have too much droop - you want to ensure the droop screws aren't gouging holes into your chassis and that they meet with the chassis lugs before your piston meets the bottom of the shock.

Standard droop screws need replacing for button head alternatives. There is a thread dedicated to it here somewhere.

The Kronos XTR is a great truck in my estimation, but obviously it's ridiculously over powered on 6S. But - it's so nice to drive - it handles like a race car. A psychotic one, but so much fun all the same.

No need to sell up because the truck breaks from time to time - fix it, upgrade it, alter the way you thrash it around or even where you run it around perhaps? 🤔

Kraton owners tend to upgrade everything too. If we're honest - upgrades are a major part of the fun. As is wrenching on our machines when things go wrong. Demonstrate to your kids how resourceful you are and engage your inner dad skills!

This RC malarkey requires a lot of it! 👍
High speed fan on esc, twin high speed fans on motor. No i get upgrades are a part of the game. Just seems every dang time i take this out i need to fix it. Plus there are zero after market support for the factory short comings

High speed fan on esc, twin high speed fans on motor. No i get upgrades are a part of the game. Just seems every dang time i take this out i need to fix it. Plus there are zero after market support for the factory short comings
I feel your pain, part of my problem is the amount of power I'm pushing through my stuff but I do feel the corally's are a little more prone to failures, they don't like tumbles. I've never broken a thing on my radix, but my kronos xp and my xtr are almost guaranteed to have something break when I use them, not always, but usually. Been in the hobby a long time so I'm used to it, have enough corally parts on hand to probably build 3 rigs, but it still gets old after a while.

I feel your pain, part of my problem is the amount of power I'm pushing through my stuff but I do feel the corally's are a little more prone to failures, they don't like tumbles. I've never broken a thing on my radix, but my kronos xp and my xtr are almost guaranteed to have something break when I use them, not always, but usually. Been in the hobby a long time so I'm used to it, have enough corally parts on hand to probably build 3 rigs, but it still gets old after a while.
Believe it or not but i have yet to break an arm yet. Have a full set ready to go. Broke a few tie rod ends, but no arms. Most my problems have been drive line related. Mine is a 2021 xtr, the stock black drive cups didnt last 10runs on 4s. They did send me all new swiss cups, and diff gaskets to fix it. But dang! Had to order the towere to tower brace, as i did a small knose dive and broke the center carbon support and put a small bend in the chassies. . don't get me started on the rear wing and mount

Mine is the 21 XTR (no centre, end to end brace) and I'm keeping a close eye on the drive line input/output cups for wear. I'd like to upgrade these when they start developing slots or burrs.

I suppose there is a tendancy for a cascade effect on RC cars - once certain stuff starts to wear out, all the rest of it goes shortly thereafter.

So far, the only stuff I've broken has been the rear wing - it seems to crack right in the middle along the mould line. Ruins the decals as well. 🙄 Tatty looking decals trigger OCD. 😝

Corally plastic seems to have been formulated to preference rigidity over durability. For most bashers, this is viewed as a negative thing.

After market support is nothing like the Kraton's yet, but the XTR is well and truly out there now. Support will be sure to follow. And let's not overlook the fact it drives nice (when it's intact! 🤣)

Have a happy new year everyone! 🎉👍

I understand, and you will loose money selling it no doubt.. sounds like decision time..keep going and get the Kronos where you want or cut your losses. This is an xtr right?
I have seen folks use kraton shocks on the kronos, JRC makes that fairly economical, and even tho TC shocks have been fine for me, I feel the Arrma bits are more sturdy.
You could just buy a Castle or max8 ,should solve the esc issues. That BL150 you have could be useful elsewhere down the road? I guess the TC Kuron just pulls too many amps for the bl150a? IDK.
Your use sounds relatively conservative as is mine. The Kronos should be up for what you're asking of it.. Mine has done me well.
The max 8 and the ezrun 150 i have now are pretty much the same. Would it even make a difference?

Back