CCB’s Tekno ET48 2.0 Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3462.jpeg

I was really going to try and let this kit sit for a few weeks, I’ve got some downtime coming up but I’ve got a feeling that might be an impossible task.

I can hear SpongeBob in my head already.

(I don’t need it, I don’t need it, I don’t need it,………..I NEED IT!) 🤗

that's gonna be real nice. Probably not a basher, but I'm sure it'll handle some goofing off in the wide open areas.

and I agree with Horatio; anything below professional level is going to be about 85-90% driver. I love how the 48.3 drives, but I think for the first race we have I'm gonna send out the Shogun to battle the field.

Then the 48.3 is going to come out and test her mettle.

that's gonna be real nice. Probably not a basher, but I'm sure it'll handle some goofing off in the wide open areas.

and I agree with Horatio; anything below professional level is going to be about 85-90% driver. I love how the 48.3 drives, but I think for the first race we have I'm gonna send out the Shogun to battle the field.

Then the 48.3 is going to come out and test her mettle.
Love the Shogun! I hope it does well!

I’m really excited to hear about how your et48.3 does for you as well. I’ve been so impressed with the 48.2 quality and initial set-up that I would love to add another Tekno. I honestly would really like to compare them both 48.2 and 48.3 head to head as well, just to feel and see the differences for myself. Maybe one day. I think that I can possibly get away with one more this summer if I’m lucky.

Thanks! I hope she has a good placing as well.

Bro, the 48.3 is pure butter. She turns well, jumps like a dream and just overall handles as smoothly as you would expect of a race machine. I've read some people saying that the 48.3 can be a handful to drive due to it's snappy steering nature. I think Bill DeLong said that it drives with the expectation of the driver having quick reaction times and reflexes. I can definitely see what he means. I've also heard that the 48.3 can be prone to oversteer; I can see that happening as well. I let my friend drive it for a couple of laps, and he said it drives almost like his 48 2.0. That was reassuring.

I think all I need to do is get more familiar with her. Once we get more time together I'm pretty sure she's gonna be a major PITA for the other drivers when race day comes. 😁

Finally got around to finishing the ET48.2. Overall, I’m very happy with the build. Very easy, great instructions, went together just as it should. I would highly recommend building one if you ever have the opportunity!

I’m still a little undecided on the nose, I’ve got a few other options that I’m going to print out and probably end up swapping out the rear wing as well. Unfortunately the 8” of fresh snow will put a test run in hold for a bit but I should have plenty of time before our local races start up.

IMG_3522.jpeg

IMG_3524.png

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3523.jpeg

Finally got around to finishing the ET48.2. Overall, I’m very happy with the build. Very easy, great instructions, went together just as it should. I would highly recommend building one if you ever have the opportunity!

I’m still a little undecided on the nose, I’ve got a few other options that I’m going to print out and probably end up swapping out the rear wing as well. Unfortunately the 8” of fresh snow will put a test run in hold for a bit but I should have plenty of time before our local races start up.

View attachment 5713

View attachment 5714

View attachment 5716

View attachment 5715
This is one sweet rig! 🤩💪 Definitely a keeper. 👍

I'm upto my elbows with the house move, which is on going.

PXL_20240324_114441777.jpg

Our new workshop. A blank canvas! Requires lighting, racking, workbench etc. It's mahoosive and dry! The entirety of my Drum kit literally rattles around in a corner.

The old carpet had to be lifted from the house (it was bloody heavy!) and all sorts of jobs had to be completed before new ones get laid.

1000017320.jpg

Decorating nearly completed...
1000017323.jpg

Paint drying....
1000017322.jpg

Kitchen done....😅

New cooker on the way. Money = Gone! 🤣

In between all this bedlam, I was gigging last Saturday. Cracking gig, but there's so much work left to do.

Over Easter, I'm off to Brighton with my wife, then it's back to moving all the big stuff.

View attachment 5717
Our new workshop. A blank canvas! Requires lighting, racking, workbench etc. It's mahoosive and dry! The entirety of my Drum kit literally rattles around in a corner.

The old carpet had to be lifted from the house (it was bloody heavy!) and all sorts of jobs had to be completed before new ones get laid.

View attachment 5718
View attachment 5719
Paint drying....
View attachment 5720
Kitchen done....😅

In between all this bedlam, I was gigging last Saturday. Cracking gig, but there's so much work left to do.

Over Easter, I'm off to Brighton with my wife, then it's back to moving all the big stuff.
Looking great H! You guys are doing a bang up job! That moving stuff always wears you out in the end but it’s worth it!

Kitchens and bathrooms always get ya! 💰💰💰

Love the “blank canvas” work shop! Nothing better than making it the way you want it!

Looking great H! You guys are doing a bang up job! That moving stuff always wears you out in the end but it’s worth it!

Kitchens and bathrooms always get ya! 💰💰💰

Love the “blank canvas” work shop! Nothing better than making it the way you want it!
Cheers bud!

What's this Tekno going to drive like? If it's half as good as it looks, it's going to be killer on the track.

Gotta love truggies. Literally the pinnacle of off-road.

Yeah, I know - buggies - but still.

Truggies are just so stable and performance-wise they just deal with tough stuff and carve turns nimbly like a buggy. Win win. 🤩

View attachment 5713

View attachment 5714

View attachment 5716

View attachment 5715

Gorgeous! I think you're going to like it, especially at the track. I know I have trouble running down the 2.0 that my buddy drives; I have to be on top of my game when I'm running the track with him. Every now and again I catch him slipping, but those days are far and few in between. :oops:

View attachment 5717

View attachment 5718
View attachment 5719
Paint drying....
View attachment 5720
Kitchen done....😅

Coming along nicely, Horatio! I'm diggin it! Brighton? Isn't that where John and Mary went for their honeymoon? Before she got thrown off the train? :D

Cheers bud!

What's this Tekno going to drive like? If it's half as good as it looks, it's going to be killer on the track.

Truggies are just so stable and performance-wise they just deal with tough stuff and carve turns nimbly like a buggy. Win win. 🤩
I agree, while buggies may be considered the most competitive, I really like the terrain capability of a truggy more myself. Easily my favorite segment of rc's.

I agree, while buggies may be considered the most competitive, I really like the terrain capability of a truggy more myself. Easily my favorite segment of rc's.

Buggies are a love/hate relationship for me. I love em because they're nimble, fast and can carve the infield a bit faster than a truggy. I hate driving them for the exact same reasons, though. It takes a bit to traction roll my truggies, but it doesn't take alot to traction roll my buggy. Tell you what, though: learn how to drive a buggy in less than optimal conditions and you're gonna make your truggy absolutely fly when you drive it.

At least that's what happens for me. The better I drive my EB48.3, the easier it is to drive my truggy. 😬

Cheers bud!

lol, Hopefully it does alright. If it makes it through the season in one piece, I’ll be a happy man. It’s designed well enough that “human error” will definitely be the cause of any disasters.

I’ve only ran it indoors so far, weather here is piss poor at best. Inside, it ran really well, however carpet/dirt so I’m sure it will behave a little differently outside with its proper shoes back on its feet. Plenty of power, even for a bigger rig, although surprisingly it handles much lighter than I expected. (I am more familiar with pivot ball set ups), but it turns pretty well. I was also expecting it to “soar” or “float” a bit more, like a buggy can at times, but to me at least, it really kind of just cuts right through the air. Not sure if it’s the weight, body, design, maybe all 3? Much more like a missile than a glider.

I’m hoping by mid next week it will be dry enough to get some outdoor time on it. If not, it will have to sit until mid-late April but that’s ok, I can start the Mugen and I’m also thinking about trying some Frankenstein ideas on the SSTE so I’ll stay busy.

The new pad looks amazing H! I’m sure you will thoroughly enjoy it!

My wife has been hinting at renovating our kitchen as well. 😔 I'm hoping that maybe I can distract her with a vacation, some jewelry and lots of shoes! The costs of kitchens today is incredibly frightening. Anything but a kitchen. 😱

Buggies are a love/hate relationship for me. I love em because they're nimble, fast and can carve the infield a bit faster than a truggy. I hate driving them for the exact same reasons, though. It takes a bit to traction roll my truggies, but it doesn't take alot to traction roll my buggy. Tell you what, though: learn how to drive a buggy in less than optimal conditions and you're gonna make your truggy absolutely fly when you drive it.

At least that's what happens for me. The better I drive my EB48.3, the easier it is to drive my truggy. 😬
I agree, driving a buggy sure does require much more attention. We run buggies too at KnowAir not-a-raceway.. while it is a pretty rough surface for 1/8 buggies and any 1/10 scale, I can see just how fast the buggies are on the smoother sections of the track. Nothing can touch them.

Lol. Not-a-raceway, eh? Splendid! :ROFLMAO:

I agree with you though; the buggies do require a bit more concentration. At our sorta-kinda-raceway, the track is rough. The truggies can eat it up mostly with no problems, but the buggies struggle. They can still go fast, but the terrain more easily upsets their driving lines.

Smooth track though? I wouldn't race my truggy against a buggy. That'll be a tough rundown.

Buggies are lighter so therefore can accelerate, decelerate and change direction faster, making them nimbler.

Truggies obviously have wider track, longer arms, more suspension travel and larger wheels and tyres, with more rubber in contact with the ground. This makes them easier to drive and more consistent.

As Truggy designs have improved over the years, they have got lighter, lower CoG, drive much like buggies but with greater stability.

I really enjoy looking through the lap times for each class. For years, nitro Truggy had the fastest lap times. As E Truggy electronics and batteries have got better/lighter, now we see things change.

Here are some hot laps (race times) at DNC 2024.

Elliot Boots Nitro Buggy: 44.512
Juan Carlos Canas E Buggy: 44.351
Ryan Maifield Nitro Buggy: 45.005
Ryan Maifield E Truggy: 42.313
Ryan Lutz E Truggy: 42.335
Ryan Maifield Nitro Truggy: 43.007

Interesting to note that a Nitro Truggy (.21 powered) is lapping faster than the race winning E Buggy. 🧐

The fastest E Truggy is consistently lapping 2-3 seconds faster than electric or nitro buggies. How things have changed.

Interesting indeed! I always thought of buggies as the touring cars of the offroad segment. I'll try to remember the lap times once we get the new surface for the track sorted out. It's currently kind of rough, pitted and rocky. A smooth surface will make it a level playing field.

Then I can really get that CoG down.

I had a couple of down days so I threw some titanium on the Et48.2. Not sure how much lighter I can get her. I know I can switch out to titanium screws and toss is a little more carbon fiber but I think I’m almost at my limit. Pretty sure I’m almost a “zero sum” situation and for the additional $$$ I’m not going to get much, if any additional benefit so I believe that this is the final club racing set up for the season.

lol, again if I can just get through the race, I’ll be very happy! 😃

IMG_3705.jpeg

Not too shabby, she’s getting lighter.

IMG_3703.jpeg

IMG_3701.jpeg

IMG_3698.jpeg

I had a couple of down days so I threw some titanium on the Et48.2. Not sure how much lighter I can get her. I know I can switch out to titanium screws and toss is a little more carbon fiber but I think I’m almost at my limit. Pretty sure I’m almost a “zero sum” situation and for the additional $$$ I’m not going to get much, if any additional benefit so I believe that this is the final club racing set up for the season.

lol, again if I can just get through the race, I’ll be very happy! 😃

View attachment 5850
Not too shabby, she’s getting lighter.

View attachment 5851

View attachment 5852

View attachment 5853
This is one sweet rig. 🤩 Looks racey and rugged at the same time. 💪

The Tekno truggies smashed the Psycho Nitro blast. 👍

Back