CCB’s Tekno ET48 2.0 Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, ohhhhhh,……………looks like the goodies have arrived!!! 😁😁😁😁😁😁

View attachment 5433

Soon my friends! 😊, very soon! 😈
The Protek 170 SBL (and TBL) are awesome servos. 💪👍

IMG_20191008_220309.jpg

Getting closer,…………..

IMG_3403.jpeg

IMG_3404.jpeg

IMG_3405.jpeg

For the most part there is enough space. I may play with relocating the esc to the opposite side, it appears to have enough space. We will see.

Getting closer,…………..

View attachment 5590

View attachment 5589

View attachment 5588

For the most part there is enough space. I may play with relocating the esc to the opposite side, it appears to have enough space. We will see.
This is ready to rip, right?! 🤩💪

The layout is very similar to the Sworkz, though the radio box on mine is hanging off the side. Where you've got yours is where I mount my GPS.

What size pinion are you going to run with? My 15t pinion hit 54 mph on 6S, so you can run comparatively larger pinions on these race rigs in comparison to Corally stuff. The internal gearing is lower. 10/46 vs 13/43.

Loving the castle system!! 🤩

Lookin good brother!! I picked a set of those Hobao wheels/tires up a couple years back, they're decent, but really need a clean surface to hook up. I haven't used them much, my track is has too much loose dirt.
I run Losi XTT truggy tires on my MT/ET 48, 4s with Tenshock 2200kv, stock spur size(steel) and a 18t pinion. It's all I can use on my small track, never really gets up to full speed. Does lift the front wheels on occasion though. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!😁👍🍻

Lookin good brother!! I picked a set of those Hobao wheels/tires up a couple years back, they're decent, but really need a clean surface to hook up. I haven't used them much, my track is has too much loose dirt.
I run Losi XTT truggy tires on my MT/ET 48, 4s with Tenshock 2200kv, stock spur size(steel) and a 18t pinion. It's all I can use on my small track, never really gets up to full speed. Does lift the front wheels on occasion though. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!😁👍🍻
Thanks KA, it’s getting there but life has been getting in the way. Hopefully in the next week or two I’ll get it finished up.

Everything seems good, however my protec 170 servo has got me a little spooked. It seems like it just can’t settle down, like it’s always just grumbling and squeeking even without a load of any kind. I’m honestly ready to send it back and drop in a reefs raw and call it good but I’m waiting for them to respond to my email before I give up. To me, it seems flawed upon arrival which has been disappointing with what they cost.

Hey all, if anyone has any ideas on why my servo has went batshit straight outta the box, I’m all ears? (I swear that I didn’t talk about it to anyone)! WTF 😂

I’m planning on running 18t on 4S as well. I figured that there’s no point in 6S for this rc, the local track is not big enough for 6 anyway.

IMG_3410.jpeg

The Hobao wheel and tires are only just aesthetic at this point, I’ve got some Buckshots that I still need to mount and glue up for track use and I’ll probably throw on some terrain crushers for just screwing around.

I really only bought this to race with my nephew at the local track, he’s been wanting to get into it for a few years so I bought him one for him as well that he’s been building. What really surprised me is just how well and solidly this truck is built and designed. I was worried that at his age he would need more help, but nope, he’s doing great. Mine will definitely get more than just “track” use in my world.

Hopefully soon! 👍

Thanks KA, it’s getting there but life has been getting in the way. Hopefully in the next week or two I’ll get it finished up.

Everything seems good, however my protec 170 servo has got me a little spooked. It seems like it just can’t settle down, like it’s always just grumbling and squeeking even without a load of any kind. I’m honestly ready to send it back and drop in a reefs raw and call it good but I’m waiting for them to respond to my email before I give up. To me, it seems flawed upon arrival which has been disappointing with what they cost.

Hey all, if anyone has any ideas on why my servo has went batshit straight outta the box, I’m all ears? (I swear that I didn’t talk about it to anyone)! WTF 😂

I’m planning on running 18t on 4S as well. I figured that there’s no point in 6S for this rc, the local track is not big enough for 6 anyway.

View attachment 5595

The Hobao wheel and tires are only just aesthetic at this point, I’ve got some Buckshots that I still need to mount and glue up for track use and I’ll probably throw on some terrain crushers for just screwing around.

I really only bought this to race with my nephew at the local track, he’s been wanting to get into it for a few years so I bought him one for him as well that he’s been building. What really surprised me is just how well and solidly this truck is built and designed. I was worried that at his age he would need more help, but nope, he’s doing great. Mine will definitely get more than just “track” use in my world.

Hopefully soon! 👍
Uh, can I be ur nephew too?😁😉😂
Yeah, IDK on the servo, sounds like the sensor is fugged up, having a hard time reading center maybe? Shame. Hopefully they fix ya up. I imagine they will, Protek is a high end company from what I've heard. Never had the coin to buy any of their products myself though.

lol, im with you, usually I’m into the well sub $100 range for a servo, (sub $30 if I can). Most of my driving is just for fun so usually I can get away with a $30 animos. I spent a little more on this figuring that it was bought and built for a track but I’m honestly probably not nearly good enough at driving to feel much of the difference. I don’t mind spending some $$ every once in great while if I’m getting what I want from it. But when you don’t get what you paid for, it kinda irritates me. I agree with you, they are a reputable company so I’ll see if they take care of me.

I'd probably send it back and either ask for a new one or change the brand out. Some servos can be just be plain noisy, but I haven't really heard that about ProTek.

Another possibility is the receiver set up. I remember reading awhile back that some brushless coreless servos need proper Mhz on the receiver; the older wavelengths worked for the analog servos but tend to make the newer tech servos noisy.

I wouldn't like my servos making noise either. That used to be something that was unavoidable in the AM days with some servos (are you listening, HiTec?), but thankfully the newer ones I've been running have been quiet.

Your Protek 170 SBL/TBL are excellent servos - I have a few of them. They are very accurate at centering.

Is your servo jittering?

Potek servos are usually very smooth and quiet, so either it is faulty - or - it's receiving a noisy signal.

I'm leaning towards noisy signal. What receiver are you running? I can see the wire coming out the box, which should be fine for testing. 🤔 Very odd.

It would be super unlucky to receive a duff 170 SBL. 🧐

Your Protek 170 SBL/TBL are excellent servos - I have a few of them. They are very accurate at centering.

Is your servo jittering?

Potek servos are usually very smooth and quiet, so either it is faulty - or - it's receiving a noisy signal.

I'm leaning towards noisy signal. What receiver are you running? I can see the wire coming out the box, which should be fine for testing. 🤔 Very odd.

It would be super unlucky to receive a duff 170 SBL. 🧐
Thanks H,

This has always been my experience with Protek as well. Albeit, I have not run many of them, but many of the local guys around me swear by them as well.
It’s constantly noisy, like it just doesn’t believe it’s found its home accurately. What’s weird is that even with no load it’s acting that way. I did order a couple of extra replacement cables so I can verify. It’s possible there’s an issue with the supplied cable, however in theory, that should be highly unlikely, but it could still happen.

I should have new cables today or tomorrow so then I can verify.✌️

Well after all that, it was a bad cable. Weird, I even checked resistance of each wire but there must be a break in one of them. Swapped the original cable for a new replacement cable and all the noise went away instantly. 👍

Now I gotta get my old a— in gear and get some bodies painted up.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Well after all that, it was a bad cable. Weird, I even checked resistance of each wire but there must be a break in one of them. Swapped the original cable for a new replacement cable and all the noise went away instantly. 👍

Now I gotta get my old a— in gear and get some bodies painted up.

Have a good weekend everyone!
Well I never. Good job finding the fault.

On the other hand - how hugely unlucky to have a new Protek servo with a duff cable. 🫤

Shoot them an email and maybe they'll send you an e-voucher for your troubles. 🤞

Really looking forward to your posts regarding how these rigs go! 😎💪👍

Well I never. Good job finding the fault.

On the other hand - how hugely unlucky to have a new Protek servo with a duff cable. 🫤

Shoot them an email and maybe they'll send you an e-voucher for your troubles. 🤞

Really looking forward to your posts regarding how these rigs go! 😎💪👍
Thanks H,

They were really good about the entire thing. Even offered to send me a direct replacement for the entire servo but I told them that was not necessary as the cable worked so they gave me a credit towards my next purchase. Totally fine with me, lol, I can always use a good servo. I think I may take that Mugen MBX8TR Eco that I was asking you guys about, $400 is a steal compared to what I’m seeing online. I’m pretty sure that another 170 would look great in there as well. 😁

IMG_3450.jpeg

It’s hard to see, but that little white speck on the signal wire is a little tear/hole. It’s entirely possible that I could have inadvertently caused the damage as well, but I’m pretty careful, I do work on high end electrical components daily. Anyway, that little hole caused me way too much undue stress. 🥵

Last edited:
Thanks H,

They were really good about the entire thing. Even offered to send me a direct replacement for the entire servo but I told them that was not necessary as the cable worked so they gave me a credit towards my next purchase. Totally fine with me, lol, I can always use a good servo. I think I may take that Mugen MBX8TR Eco that I was asking you guys about, $400 is a steal compared to what I’m seeing online. I’m pretty sure that another 170 would look great in there as well. 😁

View attachment 5641

It’s hard to see, but that little white speck on the signal wire is a little tear/hole. It’s entirely possible that I could have inadvertently caused the damage as well, but I’m pretty careful, I do work on high end electrical components daily. Anyway, that little hole caused me way too much undue stress. 🥵
It looks like it's been pinched? 🤔 How odd.

Great news about the Mugen. 🤩 I think Mugen are an excellent brand. 👍💪 You'll love it. I can't wait for your comparison of it compared to the Tekno.

For $400, you can't go wrong with the Mugen if in good condition? As a race company, I assume parts are still readily available? That would be my only concern. As to age, I really don't think there have been any significant advancements in rc tech in the last 10 years or so? Aside from electronics anyways.

For $400, you can't go wrong with the Mugen if in good condition? As a race company, I assume parts are still readily available? That would be my only concern. As to age, I really don't think there have been any significant advancements in rc tech in the last 10 years or so? Aside from electronics anyways.
Agreed. The platforms are very samey. Besides pivot ball Vs c hub, or short arm wide pivot Vs long arm narrow pivot, the designs are all based around the Kyosho Burns! There's one on eBay right now!

1000016934.png

The weight forward design was incorporated by the Mugen MBX4 RR first,

1000016935.gif

and fairly soon, engines were being moved forward. Losi got engines more centre-line, at the expense of drive line angles. Losi buggies did jump really well. 😅

For $400, you can't go wrong with the Mugen if in good condition? As a race company, I assume parts are still readily available? That would be my only concern. As to age, I really don't think there have been any significant advancements in rc tech in the last 10 years or so? Aside from electronics anyways

That was my logic as well. I’ve never owned a Mugen but they are on my list of “want to have”, I just never figured that I’d have one. I only just got into racing with my nephew but I’ll never really expect to compete, for me, it’s just the fun. Most of my rigs have no real chance of ever seeing a track. Mugen seems to have a really solid history and I know their rc buggies are legit. This is a new, unbuilt MBX8TR Eco in a factory box, so that’s more than a fair deal to me. He also had a TA RC8T4E that he sold to another guy at the track. He got $575 for that, mostly because there’s a lot of TA guys at our track, lots of interest. For some reason, nobody wanted the Mugen but you can’t blame them, pretty sure that they all share a brain. (Honestly, if one of those guys gets something new, then the next week they all have them, I don’t understand that mentality). Sheep.

Hopefully I’ll have time to grab it this weekend. I’m excited to compare it to my ET48 2.0, just to see and feel the differences. Should be fun! 😁

It looks like it's been pinched? 🤔 How odd.

Great news about the Mugen. 🤩 I think Mugen are an excellent brand. 👍💪 You'll love it. I can't wait for your comparison of it compared to the Tekno.
Thanks! Hopefully I’ll have enough time to grab it this weekend!

Last edited:
That was my logic as well. I’ve never owned a Mugen but they are on my list of “want to have”, I just never figured that I’d have one. I only just got into racing with my nephew but I’ll never really expect to compete, for me, it’s just the fun. Most of my rigs have no real chance of ever seeing a track. Mugen seems to have a really solid history and I know their rc buggies are legit. This is a new, unbuilt MBX8TR Eco in a factory box, so that’s more than a fair deal to me. He also had a TA RC8T4E that he sold to another guy at the track. He got $575 for that, mostly because there’s a lot of TA guys at our track, lots of interest. For some reason, nobody wanted the Mugen but you can’t blame them, pretty sure that they all share a brain. (Honestly, if one of those guys gets something new, then the next week they all have them, I don’t understand that mentality). Sheep.

Hopefully I’ll have time to grab it this weekend. I’m excited to compare it to my ET48 2.0, just to see and feel the differences. Should be fun! 😁

Thanks! Hopefully I’ll have enough time to grab it this weekend!
Awesome!! I couldn't agree more about imitation either!! "Guys, check out my new blacked out Ram pickup!" 🤗🥴🤔🤷‍♂️..
As to capability of the Mugen, I have no doubts it's competitive. Pretty confident that at anything below professional level racing, finish placement will be more operator dependent than equipment . Just my .02
And BTW, I'm not putting down Ram trucks, just soo tired of seeing blacked out quad cabs running around, LOL.

Back