Kagama Let's Talk About Chargers - Good, Bad, Ugly - What do you use for 6S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way back when I had a MRC Super Brain 989(?) that I used for my NiMh and NiCD packs. When I switched over to lipo, I still used the SB but added a balancing plug.

Fast forward to several years ago, I was using a CRX1-e or something. Worked for a little until I started growing my lipo inventory. Switched out to a SkyRc T200 around last year and that's what I currently use. Debating if I should get a quad charger, but I think I can hold off on that one; current lipo inventory is four 4S packs, six 3S packs and eight 2S packs. Four 4S packs and four 3S packs are plenty for a day of running; I usually have one 4S pack that hasn't been touched and maybe two 3S packs that weren't touched. For race day I may go overboard and charge them all up so that I have a fresh pack for every heat and every main, but even at that, I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot of packs to discharge to storage mode. The 4S packs are easy to run down; it's the 3S packs that are more difficult. The 3S packs power my EB48.3, and my runtime is usually about 20-25 minutes a pack; rare do I hit the LVC in my buggy. The truggy can LVC the smaller 4S packs in about 12-15mins.

The T200 also has a discharge/storage mode, but wow does it take long. You can set it to 2A for discharge, but then it trickles down to 1A or even lower. I bought a standalone discharger from RCJuice, but that thing is even worse. Took about 9-10 hours to discharge a 5200mAh 4S pack. Um...wat? 😳

Which reminds me...I need to cycle some of those batts. My older 2S packs haven't been ran in about 3 months and the newer 3S packs haven't been ran in about 2. I really don't mind the inventory size, but I'm starting to find out that cycling them is starting to get cumbersome. That, or I just need to run more. 🤦‍♂️

As it's traditional to recommend whatever you've got, I'll go for the SkyRC B6neo!
Yes it's absolutely tiny, but it actually does charge at 200W, and it's less than 40 quid in the UK.
For DC power supply, I use a laptop supply with an XT60 soldered on. It's rated at 230W, so plenty of headroom to power the B6neo.

As it's traditional to recommend whatever you've got, I'll go for the SkyRC B6neo!
Yes it's absolutely tiny, but it actually does charge at 200W, and it's less than 40 quid in the UK.
For DC power supply, I use a laptop supply with an XT60 soldered on. It's rated at 230W, so plenty of headroom to power the B6neo.
2nd that JW! I got the b6 a few years back to power 4S LiPo drone batteries. Small, not the fastest but it gets the job done! 👍

……that being said, some of there newer dual chargers are pretty noice! 😬

Ain’t gonna lie, I’m kinda digging that d200 with that 350 option at moment. 🤤🤤

I'm leaning towards D400 for charging 6S at 1C or above. I'm liking the AC/DC flexibility and the fact that 200W per channel means I could - for the first time - charge my 5500mah 6S packs up to 8 amps!! 💪😎

In reality, I'm looking at 5.5 amps as my normal charge rate (1c).

Last edited:
yeah, that thing is pretty nice as well! I’d honestly just be happy having a dual, one just isn’t keeping up for me anymore. My schedule is so all over the place that I can’t plan much at the moment and a second charger or adding a dual is definitely in the near future.

I'm leaning towards D400 for charging 6S at 1C or above. I'm liking the AC/DC flexibility and the fact that 200W per channel means I could - for the first time - charge my 5500mah 6S packs up to 8 amps!! 💪😎

In reality, I'm looking at 5.5 amps as my normal charge rate (1c).
Try this one. Same and cheaper

IMG_20240223_191702.jpg

Try this one. Same and cheaper

View attachment 5479
That’s pretty nice too Stig, I definitely like it.👍👍

A friend of mine is using the Skyrc q200 as well with good success. Not a super beast by any means but it can handle 4 batteries at a time and he likes the bt connectivity a heck of a lot. Lots of very nice choices out there and lots of options for them. 😈

Is there any charger that will try to rejuvenate dead, or near dead cells, instead of beeping "low voltage" and stop?
Once a cell starts playing up, it means the chemical structure of the cell has deteriorated. The chemical starts to crystalise and once the 'tendrils' reach the opposite side, the battery effectively starts to dead short - and catch fire. Even though you're not charging it or placing it under any load.

Basically, once the cell is bad - the only safe thing to do is responsibly dispose of it. 👍

Once a cell starts playing up, it means the chemical structure of the cell has deteriorated. The chemical starts to crystalise and once the 'tendrils' reach the opposite side, the battery effectively starts to dead short - and catch fire. Even though you're not charging it or placing it under any load.

Basically, once the cell is bad - the only safe thing to do is responsibly dispose of it. 👍
😈………responsibly!

I had an 4S ignite on a cheap racing drone last year, it was quite a show as it screamed back to earth as a glowing mass of melting plastic, sparks and flame. Yep, don’t breathe in, no bueno!

It was only an Arris X Speed 280 so it wasn’t too $$, Not that I ever want to lose anything, but it was probably worth the price for the10 minutes of excitement and the image will remain solidly in my memory for years to come.

Still have one more but I’ve been afraid to fly it because I can’t figure out what cooked the first one. 😬😬😬

IMG_3247.jpeg

Well I suppose I asked for that - you international bunch of reprobates!! 👍😝

I was definitely not holding the camera....

Obviously, play with petrol and microwaves - responsibly. 🤣😝
😂😂😂

He says “Magic Begins”, and runs like hell!

Thats freaking Brilliant! I love it! 😍

I had an 4S ignite on a cheap racing drone last year, it was quite a show as it screamed back to earth as a glowing mass of melting plastic, sparks and flame. Yep, don’t breathe in, no bueno!

It was only an Arris X Speed 280 so it wasn’t too $$, Not that I ever want to lose anything, but it was probably worth the price for the10 minutes of excitement and the image will remain solidly in my memory for years to come.

Still have one more but I’ve been afraid to fly it because I can’t figure out what cooked the first one. 😬😬😬

View attachment 5480
That's a shame. 🫤

I've had one explode - on it's first charge. Smoked out the house. It was on a heli.

image470.jpg

image471.jpg

Brand new Heli, charger and battery - blew up on first charge. Nearly destroyed our home. Lesson learnt.

IMG_20221209_125819.jpg

IMG_20220302_091810.jpg

Now my charging takes place on glass mats, inside a fibreglass bag. With the best monitoring I can afford and always under my watchful eyes. 👍

No disasters with my 5" racing drone.

that’s always a shame when batteries fail or malfunction. Fortunately for me that drone battery was the only one I ever lost.

They changed the size classification of the airport near me last year. I live within 5 miles so now I can’t fly anymore without getting in the car and going for a loooooong drive. Occasionally we find a warehouse or two that will let us fly inside. I have a few friends that are GC’s so if they are putting large buildings up they give us a heads up. We usually get a few days in that way.

My larger drones hardly see any use unless I really plan a day around it. It’s too bad, I do enjoy them.

IMG_3248.jpeg

Anyway, the FAA can’t do anything about my surface vehicles! 🚗🚗 😁😁😁😁

Was there any hint of it being a bad pack? Or even charger?

The smoke and vapours that come off them can be quite nasty!
Nope, it was weird. About 4 minutes of flight time for that pack and 💥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥.

……..could have been any one of the cheap Chinese rebranded components inside. Not that all Chinese stuff is bad but a $200 drone a $200 drone after all.

Back