Kagama Let's Talk About Chargers - Good, Bad, Ugly - What do you use for 6S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horatio

Reaction score
As per title:

What do you use to charge up your 6S batteries?

For my requirements when racing, I needed a system that could pulse charge my Nicad and Nimh cells for complete charging, whilst not overheating them or damaging the chemistry of the (very expensive) matched packs.

I still have that charger today! I use it for all my radio battery packs and receiver packs of all different sizes. It's an Eagle Racing Super Linear Pulse. Circa 2000 ish. It was about £200 back then.

For my lipos, I bought a charger primarily for my drone requirements. Initially, 4S was typically the the maximum voltage I dealt with, so priorities have changed a fair bit since then - even my drones are 6S now.

1000016094.jpg

My Sky RC Quad 200 is an excellent charger, but it's really got it's work cut out for it charging 6S packs - especially 5500 mah + size packs, because even at 100w (if I charge just 1 at a time) the charge rate isn't 1C - it's more like 0.7c - thus it can take a while charging my packs!

It strikes me that 100w per channel isn't enough to charge larger capacity 6S packs in a timely way.

I have considered another AC/DC charger - something like this:

1000016095.jpg

Channel 1 can charge at 400watts! Or you can distribute the power 200/200, 300/100 - etc. It seems like an excellent bit of kit.

It's also dawned on me that I might be missing a trick by not just going getting a DC charger, for the sake of a decent 25v power supply.

It's a more expensive option by the time you add up the cost of a DC charger and separately purchased power supply, but then you are looking at these kind of chargers:

1000016096.jpg

1000watt on a channel!!! 🤯 1500watt in total.
This is about £200.

1000016097.jpg

And a half decent power supply (useful for a bunch of other stuff - especially if you're racing and need to power everything). £242 😬

Ouch.

So, I'm looking at option 1 as - the Sky RC D400 as a comparatively economical way to meet my ever increasing requirements.

• How do all you guys & girls charge your kit?
  • What are you preferences around AC vs DC charging?
  • Tell us why you use what you do?
  • Is the kit reliable?
  • Have you experienced charging related disasters?
  • What should we avoid?
Let's bring it all to the table. 👍

Here's what I use but my needs are pretty basic, I've got probably 20 lipos so I just charge what I feel I'm going to need for that given day, never a case that I'm waiting around for a pack to charge back up so I can run again so big watts for faster charging hasn't been a necessity for me

IMG_20240223_065744089.jpg

I'm using a Hota S6 currently. 400 watts on ac input, I believe it has a max amp output of 16a on one channel or 15a split. It's been good thus far, I've had it for a little over a year now. The internal cooling fan took a dump at 1 year old. I replaced it with a fan from amazon for $10. The new fan is dual BB, much quieter than the original, which started chattering within a week or so of new.. that's a common theme for me. The only thing I dislike about the S6 is the thumb/scroll wheel..
My Spektrum S2100 fans chattered on day one, after a couple months, channel 2 popped, never to return.. I believe the Spektrum is made by ISDT. If so, I think I'll be avoiding ISDT chargers altogether since my brother also lost a Spektrum S2100 in less than a year. His is completely dead though, won't power up at all. Mine still works on channel 1..
I really prefer the all inclusive AC/DC chargers due to simplicity and portability. Plus they generally have a small footprint.
With the Hota, I love the trickle charge feature. When the battery has finished charging, it will continue to monitor voltage and keep at exact peek until I unplug the batteries. The Spektrum hits peak, then stops. So if I leave the battery plugged in for say an hour, it'll have dropped a bit of voltage before use.. moot perhaps, IDK.
I really like the specs and features of the Gens iMars D300. Seems like alot of value and capability. If I were shopping again, D300 for me.

I don't generally babysit while charging. All my charging and discharging is done in the barn. If it were in my living space I'd be more watchful.
I also don't have any fire safe storage devices in play. Ryobi tool bag (large) with around 30 batteries just stuffed in there. That's in the house. Tempting fate perhaps, IDK. I've never seen or heard of a lipo battery going off for no reason.. impacts, over charging yes.

I'm using a Hota S6 currently. 400 watts on ac input, I believe it has a max amp output of 16a on one channel or 15a split. It's been good thus far, I've had it for a little over a year now. The internal cooling fan took a dump at 1 year old. I replaced it with a fan from amazon for $10. The new fan is dual BB, much quieter than the original, which started chattering within a week or so of new.. that's a common theme for me. The only thing I dislike about the S6 is the thumb/scroll wheel..
My Spektrum S2100 fans chattered on day one, after a couple months, channel 2 popped, never to return.. I believe the Spektrum is made by ISDT. If so, I think I'll be avoiding ISDT chargers altogether since my brother also lost a Spektrum S2100 in less than a year. His is completely dead though, won't power up at all. Mine still works on channel 1..
I really prefer the all inclusive AC/DC chargers due to simplicity and portability. Plus they generally have a small footprint.
With the Hota, I love the trickle charge feature. When the battery has finished charging, it will continue to monitor voltage and keep at exact peek until I unplug the batteries. The Spektrum hits peak, then stops. So if I leave the battery plugged in for say an hour, it'll have dropped a bit of voltage before use.. moot perhaps, IDK.
I really like the specs and features of the Gens iMars D300. Seems like alot of value and capability. If I were shopping again, D300 for me.

I don't generally babysit while charging. All my charging and discharging is done in the barn. If it were in my living space I'd be more watchful.
I also don't have any fire safe storage devices in play. Ryobi tool bag (large) with around 30 batteries just stuffed in there. That's in the house. Tempting fate perhaps, IDK. I've never seen or heard of a lipo battery going off for no reason.. impacts, over charging yes.
Gotta love the Ryobi bags, I use one for all my nitro stuff, another for my chainsaw stuff, ironically I've never used one for what they actually intended them for

Gotta love the Ryobi bags, I use one for all my nitro stuff, another for my chainsaw stuff, ironically I've never used one for what they actually intended them for
Nope, I have never actually put a Ryobi tool in it's bag that I recall.. many other tools, rc batteries of course, LOL.
Our 30 year old daughter got me a lipo storage bag for xmas this past year. It's pretty small, holds maybe 4-6 lipos. I use it as my transport bag. I take what I plan on using out of the Ryobi bag and put them in the small lipo bag to carry out to the barn and use.. once things warm up outside, I store all the batteries out there in the barn.

The SkyRC D200neo has some impressive features too. While AC power is average, SkyRC is the most copied brand of chargers on the market. They have a solid reputation too. Worth a look I think considering all it's capabilities.
https://www.skyrc.com/d200neo

Excellent info! The Bluetooth on Skyrc stuff is nice - I can check all the individual cell voltages and monitor with my phone. 👍

As per title:

What do you use to charge up your 6S batteries?

For my requirements when racing, I needed a system that could pulse charge my Nicad and Nimh cells for complete charging, whilst not overheating them or damaging the chemistry of the (very expensive) matched packs.

I still have that charger today! I use it for all my radio battery packs and receiver packs of all different sizes. It's an Eagle Racing Super Linear Pulse. Circa 2000 ish. It was about £200 back then.

For my lipos, I bought a charger primarily for my drone requirements. Initially, 4S was typically the the maximum voltage I dealt with, so priorities have changed a fair bit since then - even my drones are 6S now.

View attachment 5457

My Sky RC Quad 200 is an excellent charger, but it's really got it's work cut out for it charging 6S packs - especially 5500 mah + size packs, because even at 100w (if I charge just 1 at a time) the charge rate isn't 1C - it's more like 0.7c - thus it can take a while charging my packs!

It strikes me that 100w per channel isn't enough to charge larger capacity 6S packs in a timely way.

I have considered another AC/DC charger - something like this:

View attachment 5458

Channel 1 can charge at 400watts! Or you can distribute the power 200/200, 300/100 - etc. It seems like an excellent bit of kit.

It's also dawned on me that I might be missing a trick by not just going getting a DC charger, for the sake of a decent 25v power supply.

It's a more expensive option by the time you add up the cost of a DC charger and separately purchased power supply, but then you are looking at these kind of chargers:

View attachment 5459
1000watt on a channel!!! 🤯 1500watt in total.
This is about £200.

View attachment 5460

And a half decent power supply (useful for a bunch of other stuff - especially if you're racing and need to power everything). £242 😬

Ouch.

So, I'm looking at option 1 as - the Sky RC D400 as a comparatively economical way to meet my ever increasing requirements.

• How do all you guys & girls charge your kit?
  • What are you preferences around AC vs DC charging?
  • Tell us why you use what you do?
  • Is the kit reliable?
  • Have you experienced charging related disasters?
  • What should we avoid?
Let's bring it all to the table. 👍
Love my gensacearespammers Dual...all the power I need for bashing & racing without the hassle of hauling around a power supply. The discharger is weak so I use an isdt FD-200 for that job.

Love my gensacearespammers Dual...all the power I need for bashing & racing without the hassle of hauling around a power supply. The discharger is weak so I use an isdt FD-200 for that job.
Yes, the discharge on my SkyRC is weak too. It works, but it's slow.

I love how this site censors gens to gensacearespammers! 🤣🤣

Yes, the discharge on my SkyRC is weak too. It works, but it's slow.

I love how this site censors gens to gensacearespammers! 🤣🤣
If you get the SkyRC BD350 discharger to go with, you can discharge up to 40a/350watts with the D200. 🤷‍♂️

The BD350 is the latest and greatest discharger from SkyRC, they run about $130 over here.
The BD250 was the predecessor, 35a/250watts around $90..

Here i have a HOTA S6 1-6S Dual LiPo Battery Charger, a powerful charger that is easy to use. The ability to discharge batteries and put them in storage is also very useful.

Some advantages of the HOTA S6:

Dual channel: Charge two batteries at the same time.
Powerful: Charging power up to 650W (DC) / 400W (AC).
Suitable for 1-6S LiPo batteries.
Easy to use: Intuitive menu with color display.
Safety functions: Protects against overcharging, overheating and short circuits.
Additional features:

Discharging and storage: Discharge batteries and put them in storage mode.
Balancing: Ensures even cell tension.
Memory function: Saves charging profiles for different batteries.
The HOTA S6 is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a powerful, easy-to-use and safe LiPo charger.

I dream..alot! LOL 😉😂

Here i have a HOTA S6 1-6S Dual LiPo Battery Charger, a powerful charger that is easy to use. The ability to discharge batteries and put them in storage is also very useful.

Some advantages of the HOTA S6:

Dual channel: Charge two batteries at the same time.
Powerful: Charging power up to 650W (DC) / 400W (AC).
Suitable for 1-6S LiPo batteries.
Easy to use: Intuitive menu with color display.
Safety functions: Protects against overcharging, overheating and short circuits.
Additional features:

Discharging and storage: Discharge batteries and put them in storage mode.
Balancing: Ensures even cell tension.
Memory function: Saves charging profiles for different batteries.
The HOTA S6 is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a powerful, easy-to-use and safe LiPo charger.
Apparently there is a way to use the Hota S6 to control a discharger, I never figured what discharger they are referring to but, see below that Hota is claiming the ability to discharge at 325watt x 2..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223-152310_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223-152310_Google.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back