Asuga Horatio's Sworkz S35 T2E Pro Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrecked my first busa; lucky that I came out of that fairly unscathed. Nothing broken, just major rash and a concussion. The only accident scenario I was involved in was when a friend of mine blew through an apex and hit a road sign. At our previous stop Allan was asking me if I could help him get a helmet for him and his girl (who was with him when he crashed). I told him not a problem, just check me when you're ready and I'll help you out.

He was the second bike, my other friends were at 1st and 3rd, I was 4th. I saw him go down, avoided the spillage and came to a stop about 200 yards up the hill the group was riding. I went back down the hill to see if I could help with anything. I saw him laying down on the side of the road. His gf was a little further away, rashed up but nothing at a weird angle. The other girls were tending to her, so I focused on my friend. Directed people to block traffic both ways and another person to call 911 since everyone was blank and frozen. Nothing looked crooked on my friend's body, so I leaned over and listened for breathing after calling out to him. No breath, no response, so I gently turned him over on his back and felt for a pulse. It was weak and seemed fading, so I tried to administer rescue breathing. Had a slightly harder time opening his mouth and moving his tongue out of the way, but I tried to work with what was presented to me. Heard a weird noise when I was pushing breaths in. Felt for pulse, it was weaker than before. Noticed some kind of fluid on the side of the road where he was at; didn't smell like gas so I ignored it. Another friend told me he noticed Allan was bleeding from his head, so I took off my Fox jersey and gave it to him and told him to put it on Allan where the bleeding was. Continued to provide rescue breathing, still heard a weird noise. Gurgling. Like when you blow air through a straw in a drink that's almost finished. What I didn't realize is that he was leaving this earth right in front of me.

Continued until the medics came. They took over and we were questioned by police. Most of that is a bit foggy in my memory bank. I went to then-gf's house and told her about it. Couple weeks later, I ran into my friend that I told to put the jersey where it was bleeding. Turns out when Allan hit the pole, his head hit the metal part and it basically caved his skull in. The weird sound I was hearing when I was doing rescue breathing? Air going into his skull cavity and bubbling up through the remaining cranial fluid. Speaking of cranial fluid, that was the liquid I noticed going down the hill on Allan's left side. My friend did what I told him to do, but was too shocked to let me know that there was basically a hole in Allan's head.

I went on to crash my Busa and then rebuild it and then ride again. Sold it, went several years without a bike and then picked up two more. Sold those when I got my second Busa. Haven't ridden in like 9 years or so. I'll get there again, but I'll be even more defensive this time around, especially considering how the drivers are now.

And agreed, being a 1st responder takes a whole different person. For me, when scenarios like that need to be addressed, I go into auto-pilot and do what I was trained to do. There's no emotions, no processing, no thinking. Just pulling from the memory banks what needs to be done. It's the afterwards that make it hard. You can put it out of your head for most of the day, but those last 5 minutes when you lay your head down, right before you go to sleep...sometimes that turns into hours.

I agree with Horatio...RC is a nice way to fill the time. I've done other hobbies as well...downhill and freeride MTB, air rifles, hunting, fishing.

I wrecked my first busa; lucky that I came out of that fairly unscathed. Nothing broken, just major rash and a concussion. The only accident scenario I was involved in was when a friend of mine blew through an apex and hit a road sign. At our previous stop Allan was asking me if I could help him get a helmet for him and his girl (who was with him when he crashed). I told him not a problem, just check me when you're ready and I'll help you out.

He was the second bike, my other friends were at 1st and 3rd, I was 4th. I saw him go down, avoided the spillage and came to a stop about 200 yards up the hill the group was riding. I went back down the hill to see if I could help with anything. I saw him laying down on the side of the road. His gf was a little further away, rashed up but nothing at a weird angle. The other girls were tending to her, so I focused on my friend. Directed people to block traffic both ways and another person to call 911 since everyone was blank and frozen. Nothing looked crooked on my friend's body, so I leaned over and listened for breathing after calling out to him. No breath, no response, so I gently turned him over on his back and felt for a pulse. It was weak and seemed fading, so I tried to administer rescue breathing. Had a slightly harder time opening his mouth and moving his tongue out of the way, but I tried to work with what was presented to me. Heard a weird noise when I was pushing breaths in. Felt for pulse, it was weaker than before. Noticed some kind of fluid on the side of the road where he was at; didn't smell like gas so I ignored it. Another friend told me he noticed Allan was bleeding from his head, so I took off my Fox jersey and gave it to him and told him to put it on Allan where the bleeding was. Continued to provide rescue breathing, still heard a weird noise. Gurgling. Like when you blow air through a straw in a drink that's almost finished. What I didn't realize is that he was leaving this earth right in front of me.

Continued until the medics came. They took over and we were questioned by police. Most of that is a bit foggy in my memory bank. I went to then-gf's house and told her about it. Couple weeks later, I ran into my friend that I told to put the jersey where it was bleeding. Turns out when Allan hit the pole, his head hit the metal part and it basically caved his skull in. The weird sound I was hearing when I was doing rescue breathing? Air going into his skull cavity and bubbling up through the remaining cranial fluid. Speaking of cranial fluid, that was the liquid I noticed going down the hill on Allan's left side. My friend did what I told him to do, but was too shocked to let me know that there was basically a hole in Allan's head.

I went on to crash my Busa and then rebuild it and then ride again. Sold it, went several years without a bike and then picked up two more. Sold those when I got my second Busa. Haven't ridden in like 9 years or so. I'll get there again, but I'll be even more defensive this time around, especially considering how the drivers are now.

And agreed, being a 1st responder takes a whole different person. For me, when scenarios like that need to be addressed, I go into auto-pilot and do what I was trained to do. There's no emotions, no processing, no thinking. Just pulling from the memory banks what needs to be done. It's the afterwards that make it hard. You can put it out of your head for most of the day, but those last 5 minutes when you lay your head down, right before you go to sleep...sometimes that turns into hours.

I agree with Horatio...RC is a nice way to fill the time. I've done other hobbies as well...downhill and freeride MTB, air rifles, hunting, fishing.
Solidarity. Well done for trying and sorry you lost your friend. 😟

It's horrendous to go through.

RC has been an enormous part of my life since I was 8 years old. Essentially the skills learnt then applied to aspects of my work previously and now.

UAV007small.JPG

I promise I'll be getting this Castle 1515 installed soon. 😎👍

Solidarity. Well done for trying and sorry you lost your friend. 😟

It's horrendous to go through.

RC has been an enormous part of my life since I was 8 years old. Essentially the skills learnt then applied to aspects of my work previously and now.

View attachment 5171

I promise I'll be getting this Castle 1515 installed soon. 😎👍

Thanks Horatio. (y) Good on you for your service!

I've been in and out with RCs since 4 or 5 years old. My first "hobby grade" RC was a Tamiya Clodbuster QD. That little bugger still brings back memories that put a smile on my face. Every now and again I'll scour Ebay in the hopes of finding one.

Definitely would like to hear how the 1515 runs in that sexy S35. 🙌

So, servo installation detail:

1000015561.jpg

1000015562.jpg

Note that I am using the anti-vibration grommets. Some prefer not to use these, but I've learnt that this is an extra layer of protection - pretty much for all servos.

The wire folds back down and underneath the servo, before entering the receiver box.

1000015565.jpg

Trim line for ESC mount. The Castle MMX will fit, but the mount needs 'relieving' for the 1515, which is about as long as you can possibly fit on this chassis layout.
1000015563.jpg

Due to the fact that FASST compatible 3 channel receivers no longer exist (apparently!) this 7 channel, diversity antenna Rx will have to do. It's low latency and full range, so I just have to sort something out with the second antenna. On the Futaba variants, the diversity antenna was built in to the Rx - so you only had 1 wire to deal with. This aero Rx will sit on protective foam, so... 🤞

1000015564.jpg

Progress is being made. Just need to solder some XT90 plugs onto the ESC and manage the cable shambles into something practical and presentable and I'll report back here! 🤩

I'm gonna have to remember to put those grommets on. I burned a couple of servos, as did a couple of my friends that I race with. Or maybe it was just a faulty batch of HobbyStar servos. We all had em, and we all burned at least one. :unsure:

Rig is lookin sweet! I saw an S35 on ebay, but I already have two Teknos and a Python. My spidey sense is telling me the wife just might make me wear one of them. :oops:

I'm gonna have to remember to put those grommets on. I burned a couple of servos, as did a couple of my friends that I race with. Or maybe it was just a faulty batch of HobbyStar servos. We all had em, and we all burned at least one. :unsure:

Rig is lookin sweet! I saw an S35 on ebay, but I already have two Teknos and a Python. My spidey sense is telling me the wife just might make me wear one of them. :oops:
The grommets definitely help with vibration and shock, which for bashers is very significant.

Racers often claim that steering precision is affected by grommets and that centering is less accurate.

I find that if they're tightened down the right amount, the amount of 'give' in the grommets is significantly less than any given servo saver anyway, so it really shouldn't impact the steering 'feel' in any meaningful way, or the centering.

To finish first, first you have to finish.

Grommets do lift the servo by 2-3mm, so this can cause installation complications sometimes, depending on whether the rig was designed around them or not.

In nitro/internal combustion powered models, it's essential to isolate vibration from electronic components - especially receivers and servos.

With bashing rigs, vibration is less of an issue with brushless compared to shock - especially for jump rigs.

Some state that modern servos and electronics are much more resilient.

My thoughts are:

When I raced competitively, FETservos virtually never failed, running on 6v. KO, Futaba, Sanwa, Hitec were pretty much the only servos used - all sub 15kg torque.

Nowadays, despite all the digital servos having much higher specs, there are accounts of them failing all the time.

The question is - why?

Last edited:
I used to use the grommets faithfully, over the last decade I have not.. I also buy the cheapest servos that will do the job. Honestly over the last 3 or so years my only failures have been from stripping teeth and twisted output shafts. If I paid $100 for a servo I would likely go back to the grommets just for insurance.

The grommets definitely help with vibration and shock, which for bashers is very significant.

Racers often claim that steering precision is affected by grommets and that centering is less accurate.

I find that if they're tightened down the right amount, the amount of 'give' in the grommets is significantly less than any given servo saver anyway, so it really shouldn't impact the steering 'feel' in any meaningful way, or the centering.

Grommets do lift the servo by 2-3mm, so this can cause installation complications sometimes, depending on whether the rig was designed around them or not.

In nitro/internal combustion powered models, it's essential to isolate vibration from electronic components - especially receivers and servos.

With bashing rigs, vibration is less of an issue with brushless compared to shock - especially for jump rigs.

My thoughts are:

When I raced competitively, FETservos virtually never failed, running on 6v. KO, Futaba, Sanwa, Hitec were pretty much the only servos used - all sub 15kg torque.

Nowadays, despite all the digital servos having much higher specs, there are accounts of them failing all the time.

The question is - why?
Morning H,

I hear you, things don't seem to last as long as they once did. I work in Electrical as and it literally blows me away on how fast certain electronics fail. I don't know how many times I've opened brand new plc's, vfd's and controllers are dead on arrival. Unfortunately it's not just relegated to rc servo's alone.

My 2 cents, there are a LOT of companies making electronics that simply should not be making them. Just because your factory made sweatshirts for 20 years doesn't mean that you have the people, technology and and ability to switch into circuit boards or servo's. With almost "0" regulation on that stuff coming out of country's with even less regulation it's no wonder things fail.

I've taken the minimalistic approach to servo's lately and I'm honestly afraid to spend too much on them and have been buying the cheaper units and just replace them.

If you have some good servo's to try out please feel free to shout, I'm looking for a new one for my Habao.

-CCB

My thoughts are:

The question is - why?

Very valid question. Before I used to run Hitec servos. This time around I used PowerHD servos for my onroad cars, a discontinued Hitec in my EB48, HobbyStar in my truggy and a ANIMOS servo from amazon. One batch of Hobbystar servos burned out a little early, but the second one I installed is still running like a champ. Same as my ANIMOS, surprisingly. That servo has been running for a good while, no issues.

I can only guess that either the workmanship is lacking or the quality of the materials has declined. I'm honestly quite surprised at how underwhelming some of the stuff we purchase today is.

Morning H,

I hear you, things don't seem to last as long as they once did. I work in Electrical as and it literally blows me away on how fast certain electronics fail. I don't know how many times I've opened brand new plc's, vfd's and controllers are dead on arrival. Unfortunately it's not just relegated to rc servo's alone.

My 2 cents, there are a LOT of companies making electronics that simply should not be making them. Just because your factory made sweatshirts for 20 years doesn't mean that you have the people, technology and and ability to switch into circuit boards or servo's. With almost "0" regulation on that stuff coming out of country's with even less regulation it's no wonder things fail.

I've taken the minimalistic approach to servo's lately and I'm honestly afraid to spend too much on them and have been buying the cheaper units and just replace them.

If you have some good servo's to try out please feel free to shout, I'm looking for a new one for my Habao.

-CCB

You can try some of the Hobbystar servos from rcjuice, although be prepared for early burnout. Or not. I guess it depends on which batch they came from?

I just got these a couple of days ago from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CP42BD78?ref_=pe_386300_442618370_TE_sc_as_ri_0&th=1

Two of 'em for about 40 bucks. They look identical to my ANIMOS servo, but time will tell if they're just as good or any better.

Here's the link for the ANIMOS. Interesting...the price dropped on them. I got mine for 35 bucks a couple of years back. Now they're 28.99.
https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Core...words=ANIMOS+servo&qid=1707277254&sr=8-5&th=1

Very valid question. Before I used to run Hitec servos. This time around I used PowerHD servos for my onroad cars, a discontinued Hitec in my EB48, HobbyStar in my truggy and a ANIMOS servo from amazon. One batch of Hobbystar servos burned out a little early, but the second one I installed is still running like a champ. Same as my ANIMOS, surprisingly. That servo has been running for a good while, no issues.

I can only guess that either the workmanship is lacking or the quality of the materials has declined. I'm honestly quite surprised at how underwhelming some of the stuff we purchase today is.

You can try some of the Hobbystar servos from rcjuice, although be prepared for early burnout. Or not. I guess it depends on which batch they came from?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CP42BD78?ref_=pe_386300_442618370_TE_sc_as_ri_0&th=1

Two of 'em for about 40 bucks. They look identical to my ANIMOS servo, but time will tell if they're just as good or any better.

Here's the link for the ANIMOS. Interesting...the price dropped on them. I got mine for 35 bucks a couple of years back. Now they're 28.99.
https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Coreless-Stainless-Waterproof-Standard/dp/B07SWW9NDR/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=ANIMOS+servo&qid=1707277254&sr=8-5&th=1
At $20 a piece, I suppose this is why bashers just throw the dice.

It's hard to justify the $170 price tag of a Protek, despite the fact they are fine servos.

This is why I'm happy to use the AGF810BHMW in the T2E. It's got very similar specs to the Protek, but is waterproof and about 40% cheaper. It's not the wonder bargain it used to be however, not since King Cobra became the UK importer. (Note: KC has now stopped trading for about a year)

When you total up all your current servos.....I must have about 20. It's no joke if they fail every 5 minutes.

Edit to add: The spec on those Animos servos is pretty respectable if people are happy with coreless rather than brushless powered servos. Over the years, I've had excellent service from digital coreless servos, especially my old Hitec 5925 servos that I used for 1/10th Touring and 1/10th Buggy. Very fast 0.08 sec/60° - but less than 10 kg of torque, which at the time was awesome and perfectly fine. Hitec 5945 I used in 1/8th Buggy - 0.13 sec/60°, 13 kg. Again, perfectly fine - even in the Savage, though I did burn one out when one of my kids turned on the RX switch on, but with no TX signal, resulting in steering servo trying to push past endpoint for a sustained period of time. No reflection on the servo IMO.

It's since all alloy bodied, brushless servos have come on the market that we see such extreme high voltage, torque & speed values. Almost always at figures waaay beyond what we really need. But you can never have too much performance, right? 💪😝

Last edited:

https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Core...words=ANIMOS+servo&qid=1707277254&sr=8-5&th=1
I have about 8 of these in use right now. Both 25 and 35kg variants, for the money they can't be beat IMO. That's assuming they're good enough for our needs. They are a bit slow but no complaints here. FWIW I'm pretty sure they all come from DS servo. I mean the blue 35kg or red 25kg sold on amaxon or AliEx. I've also wanted to try the GX servo brand found on ebay. They make 1/10 through 1/5 scale servos for pretty cheap. I do have a Savox 1256TG that's been solid, but I think i paid like $90 10 years ago. A bit much for what it is I feel.

I have about 8 of these in use right now. Both 25 and 35kg variants, for the money they can't be beat IMO. That's assuming they're good enough for our needs. They are a bit slow but no complaints here. FWIW I'm pretty sure they all come from DS servo. I mean the blue 35kg or red 25kg sold on amaxon or AliEx. I've also wanted to try the GX servo brand found on ebay. They make 1/10 through 1/5 scale servos for pretty cheap. I do have a Savox 1256TG that's been solid, but I think i paid like $90 10 years ago. A bit much for what it is I feel.
I'll vouch for the GX, I've had 3 of these in use for 6 months, fast and strong and so far so good, and at $24 a pop not much more than the tried and true DS

Screenshot_20240207-070448.png

Hey all,

I’ve had about 10 people suggest these within the last week so I’ll order a couple and give them a shot. Only $28 for the 35 on Amazon, that’s pretty cost effective in my world. Hopefully they work well, I’ll let you all know. I don’t usually worry about bad servo’s I don’t usually burn them out too often but lately I feel like they have been cursed.

Thanks everyone!

-CCB

Hey all,

I’ve had about 10 people suggest these within the last week so I’ll order a couple and give them a shot. Only $28 for the 35 on Amazon, that’s pretty cost effective in my world. Hopefully they work well, I’ll let you all know. I don’t usually worry about bad servo’s I don’t usually burn them out too often but lately I feel like they have been cursed.

Thanks everyone!

-CCB
The link shared above by @VaporTrail is only $20 for the 35kg servo on amazon. There's options for 1@$19.99 or 2@$39.99. Save a penny and get them quicker by buying them one at a time? 🤷‍♂️ LOL
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CP42LW4...TE_sc_as_ri_0&th=1&tag=+corallyforum-20&psc=1

Screenshot_20240207-082336_Samsung Internet.jpg

At $20 a piece, I suppose this is why bashers just throw the dice.

It's hard to justify the $170 price tag of a Protek, despite the fact they are fine servos.

This is why I'm happy to use the AGF810BHMW in the T2E. It's got very similar specs to the Protek, but is waterproof and about 40% cheaper. It's not the wonder bargain it used to be however, not since King Cobra became the UK importer. (Note: KC has now stopped trading for about a year)

When you total up all your current servos.....I must have about 20. It's no joke if they fail every 5 minutes.

Edit to add: The spec on those Animos servos is pretty respectable if people are happy with coreless rather than brushless powered servos. Over the years, I've had excellent service from digital coreless servos, especially my old Hitec 5925 servos that I used for 1/10th Touring and 1/10th Buggy. Very fast 0.08 sec/60° - but less than 10 kg of torque, which at the time was awesome and perfectly fine. Hitec 5945 I used in 1/8th Buggy - 0.13 sec/60°, 13 kg. Again, perfectly fine - even in the Savage, though I did burn one out when one of my kids turned on the RX switch on, but with no TX signal, resulting in steering servo trying to push past endpoint for a sustained period of time. No reflection on the servo IMO.

It's since all alloy bodied, brushless servos have come on the market that we see such extreme high voltage, torque & speed values. Almost always at figures waaay beyond what we really need. But you can never have too much performance, right? 💪😝

Yeah, my racer friends have been pushing for me to get a Savox or Protek 170bl, but yikes those prices. The Animos servo I have has been doing well, has decent transit speed and gobs of torque (if the published specs are accurate) and is pennies on the dollar compared to the other 2.

I've been wanting to try the 45kg variants. I'll also take a look at those GX servos you posted up...and those AF servos from Horatio. I know I should put a quality servo in my rigs, but it's not like we're racing professionally out here. Maybe if the competition gets extremely fierce, but perhaps until then I'll spare my wallet.

I'll vouch for the GX, I've had 3 of these in use for 6 months, fast and strong and so far so good, and at $24 a pop not much more than the tried and true DS

View attachment 5216

Oh? Another budget bin gold find? Nice!!

Hey all,

Thanks everyone!

-CCB

Sounds like it's time to burn an effigy, dance around a fire and start shaking the hips, CCB. That should help get rid of the curse. If you follow the link I posted up, those blue 35kg servos are 19 bux a piece and 40 bucks for 2. Just in case you want to try it out.

The link shared above by @VaporTrail is only $20 for the 35kg servo on amazon. There's options for 1@$19.99 or 2@$39.99. Save a penny and get them quicker by buying them one at a time? 🤷‍♂️ LOL
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CP42LW4...TE_sc_as_ri_0&th=1&tag=+corallyforum-20&psc=1

View attachment 5217

I'm acutally tempted to buy another couple of sets of these. Maybe even three. This one has a different brand name, but appears to be the same as the Animos for all intents and purposes.

Maybe after Valentines day I'll pick up about 6.

Last edited:
Ok, so final installation bits have been done. Just got to bind the Rx and then centre the steering servo - and it's ready to rock n roll!!

1000015763.jpg

Soldering setup, which I have to say has been excellent throughout all my FPV drone building stuff.
1000015767.jpg

XT90'S suck some heat, but these joints are looking alright.
1000015768.jpg

ESC plate is a tight fit - but it's in. Just!
1000015769.jpg

The Sworkz battery tray has inserts for 2x2s packs, or one 4s pack. I've removed 1 of the four spacers and have no trouble fitting this 6s pack.

Time to get my Futaba 3VCS Transmitter out and setup a new model profile! 🤩

Ok, so final installation bits have been done. Just got to bind the Rx and then centre the steering servo - and it's ready to rock n roll!!

View attachment 5255
Soldering setup, which I have to say has been excellent throughout all my FPV drone building stuff.
View attachment 5256
View attachment 5257
View attachment 5258
The Sworkz battery tray has inserts for 2x2s packs, or one 4s pack. I've removed 1 of the four spacers and have no trouble fitting this 6s pack.

Oh boy! "I'm" getting excited..😁👍👌🤘

View attachment 5255
View attachment 5256
View attachment 5257
View attachment 5258

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I love it, heck of a set up H! 🤩🤩🤩🤩

Very nicely done!👍👍

Back