Worth upgrading to Max 8 G2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pujozor

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just wanted some input whether it's worth upgrading to hobbyywing Max 8 G2 from the original Max 8 for my Kronos XTR.

The Max 8 esc thermal shut off tends to activate within 15 mins of runtime. I believe the G2 version esc is a bit cooler. Also the fact that the G2 is sensored.

What do you guys think? Convince me not to spend more money haha.

don't have the max8. Have the max8 g2 combo in.my asuga. Compared to my Kuron 825 in my heavy Sketer, it runs much cooler. That said, my Sketer is a heavy girl. If the g2 was there when i bought the 825, i would have put the g2 combo in my Sketer for sure. I can still always do that but don't feel like spending the money to do it. Maybe others can give you better advise though.

My Python has the standard motor esc. Just ran it for about 25 mins on grass that had been cut but all the grass cuttings had been left. What a mess it made. 3 handfuls of grass I removed from the wheels and inside. These fan had stopped working due to this but the motor was not all that hot, only running 15T and not a lot of this was at full throttle. 2 questions, is there a cover to keep the grass and crap out.
The other question just got new silicone oils for the diffs. The book says fill to 70% but what is 70% do I fill them so that the gear are just covered or what. I am new to all this fine tuning. I’m the past with the cheaper HSP cars I just used red and tacky but Corally is a lot more refined. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks all

My Python has the standard motor esc. Just ran it for about 25 mins on grass that had been cut but all the grass cuttings had been left. What a mess it made. 3 handfuls of grass I removed from the wheels and inside. These fan had stopped working due to this but the motor was not all that hot, only running 15T and not a lot of this was at full throttle. 2 questions, is there a cover to keep the grass and crap out.
The other question just got new silicone oils for the diffs. The book says fill to 70% but what is 70% do I fill them so that the gear are just covered or what. I am new to all this fine tuning. I’m the past with the cheaper HSP cars I just used red and tacky but Corally is a lot more refined. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks all
Sorry about the grammar predictive text can be a pain

Honestly I don't see any significant improvement.
I had a G2 in my Punisher, changed it back to the Kuron/Torox Combo. Both deliver enough power and control...

Heat is a problem with both power systems. Especially the motors need decent cooling.

I’ve never had an issue with heat in the hobbywing combo. Although the first day I got the Kronos the esc shut down and blew a capacitor. Had to send the esc to corally for new one. Hmmmmm

They send the new esc with a booster pack soldered on the esc wires now. Lol

Last edited:
I've just bought a twin fan with heatsink for the motor. Seems like esc isn't activating thermal protection early now. I might just hold off on getting the G2 version now.

Honestly I don't see any significant improvement.
I had a G2 in my Punisher, changed it back to the Kuron/Torox Combo. Both deliver enough power and control...

Heat is a problem with both power systems. Especially the motors need decent cooling.
Would fitting another fan to the bodyshell help get rid of the heat. The Python has holes along the top above the esc and motor. Don’t know if they are effective as mine broke down after 20 mins on grass. One of the pins snapped in the front diff.

I have the max 8 in my kronos xtr 2022 and it kept shutting down so I turned esc up to 7.4 v then put a 28000 rpm fan in there and on the motor its not shut down sinse also put a 11t pinion on and its still like a rocket on 6s 😳

Is there a two piece spur and pinion cover to fit the V2 Python. I am changing pinions to try and find the sweet spot but it’s a bit of a pain undoing all the bolts and removing the brace every time just to change a pinion gear. There are other covers available but none of these cover the spur and pinion properly. Corally sent me C-00180 640/829 and 780 but these don’t do what I am looking for. Any thoughts!

I have been looking now for a month or two of upgrading to a more powerful motor. The HW 4278 will work with the Torox esc, cheap swap but do I gain more mph or change to Castle 1515 motor/esc next step or blow the budget and go TP 4080 motor/esc. I am open to suggestions. I have a 40T speed spool that I would like to try but with a high pinion 20T+. I am not sure the current standard setup would handle that.
The Python is supposed to go 70+ mph with the right pinion and battery. I have most size pinions up to 23T using the 46T spur and either 6S 100C battery or two 150C 3S batteries. I have not even made 60mph. So my issue must be not enough space. How much should I need?

Go with the max8 combo. U won’t b disappointed. And the acceleration is so fast u don’t need much room. Mayb try gearing it better

I’ve done speed runs and have got to 50 mph within one block radius. 🤷‍♂️

Btw that’s with stock gearing.

Last edited:
Thanks, had thought of that but wasn’t sure. Postage may be high being in the UK but worth looking into

Had 62mph on Corally Torox and Kuron on my XTR using a fairly average Gens 6S. Yes, heat is the main enemy, but mitigated by shroud and fans. No shroud = blocked/burnt out fans. Using Onyx 6S now, so should see some more speed.🤞

Had 62mph on Corally Torox and Kuron on my XTR using a fairly average Gens 6S. Yes, heat is the main enemy, but mitigated by shroud and fans. No shroud = blocked/burnt out fans. Using Onyx 6S now, so should see some more speed.🤞
Was that on rough grass. I am aiming for 70mph on playing fields. I don’t have any roads near me that I can use. I had one strip on an industrial estate that closes at the weekend. Some mobile security jobs worth told me to leave. Ar##ho##

Sorry about the grammar predictive text can be a pain
I just fill up to the cross pins

Was that on rough grass. I am aiming for 70mph on playing fields. I don’t have any roads near me that I can use. I had one strip on an industrial estate that closes at the weekend. Some mobile security jobs worth told me to leave. Ar##ho##
b;;;;;tards hate that had that happen a few time's over the years

Last edited:
No, it was was on a stretch of tarmac adjacent a dual carriageway.

IMG_20220512_201556.jpg

Hitting 70mph on grass would be a good deal harder.

No, it was was on a stretch of tarmac adjacent a dual carriageway.

View attachment 4410
Hitting 70mph on grass would be a good deal harder.
Yeah, there’s plenty of coverage of speed runs on the road. What about speed runs on grass or even compacted sand. I have no chance of ever getting anywhere near Scorched RC’s record run. Is there a grass record.

Go with the max8 combo. U won’t b disappointed. And the acceleration is so fast u don’t need much room. Mayb try gearing it better

I’ve done speed runs and have got to 50 mph within one block radius. 🤷‍♂️

Btw that’s with stock gearing.
Would I only need the max8 motor as the Torox is really a max8 only painted red. It’s also 185Amps so this should work, although it doesn’t have a sensor connection

Yeah, there’s plenty of coverage of speed runs on the road. What about speed runs on grass or even compacted sand. I have no chance of ever getting anywhere near Scorched RC’s record run. Is there a grass record.

Would I only need the max8 motor as the Torox is really a max8 only painted red. It’s also 185Amps so this should work, although it doesn’t have a sensor connection
I think KT got one of his rigs to 100mph on grass, unless I dreamt it. 🤔 Wasn't it with the sausage?

Max 8 combo is what people say the Corally electronics are based on - yet, a number of reviewers are quick to point out that these stock electronics are noticeably faster. The Torox 185 and Kuron 825 seem to be tweaked by Corally.

Brand name:Team Corally
Max. Cont. Current (A):120A
Input Voltage (V):7.4 - 25.2V
Kv Rating:2050kV
Motor Shaft ø:5mm
Poles:4-Pole
Motor Type:Brushless 4-Pole
Motor Length:74mm
Motor ø:41mm
Max. Power (Watt):3000W
Motor Rear bearing size:5x13x4mm
Motor Front bearing size:5x16x5mm
Connector(s) Type:6.5mm male bullet connector
Motor weight:415g
Recommended ESC(s):C-54011

The 2050kv 4174 is 4.02 HP!! 😳

Getting a bigger can motor with more torque will pull higher gearing and run cooler, but then it's going to be heavier and require lifting (higher CoG) or modification to the side guards.

Max 8 is 4274, so is physically different, the 2200 kv is also rated at 3000w.

Screenshot_20230806-100642.png

Last edited:
Back