What is everyone using for a Transmitter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running an RC6gs on my 100mph speedrun car, Dumbo on my Outcast exb, and an slt3 on the most thrashed car I own, my Granite. I am trying to move everything over to my RC6gs except the Granite. I would like friends to drive that when I am bashing with my outcast.

Just switched me and both boys to Radiolink RC6GS V2. I couldn't stomach the price of all 3 of us, with multiple vehicles being on Spectrum (although they worked great). My buddy was running Radiolink, so I tried it, and haven't looked back. Great radio, and its cheap too!

Only drawback that I have noted is that it binds to multiple receivers, but only switches profiles. In other words, if all your cars are turned on, it will control all at once! This has caused a little havoc with my boys till they got used to it.

Flysky GT3b here, only one model space left unassigned. Then I'll have to put second GT3b into service. Honestly I can't see a reason to spend more on a radio? Never had any issues with it and its 10 years old. Extra receivers are $7 bucks a piece from Hobbyking.

The 4PM is sooo nice.

Sanwa MT4S for racing
TQi for all my Traxxas cars
Spektrum DX5C for all my bashers
Futaba 4PM for miniscale
FSGT5 for re-releases

And then a bunch of RTR radios here and there for cars I didn’t want to change the receiver on.

Only drawback that I have noted is that it binds to multiple receivers, but only switches profiles. In other words, if all your cars are turned on, it will control all at once! This has caused a little havoc with my boys till they got used to it.

Most radios do that. The receiver actually binds to the radio, not the other way around. 👍 As you found out, all models are, are just different preprogrammed “profiles”.

Radiolink RC4GS V2 for the boys, and RC6GS V2 for me. For now, they do the job admirably. I have had less issues with them, than my DX5C.

What are you running on your planes? I was looking at a Frsky x20 but can never get it while its in stock.
I have a frsky i6x dx6i and a dx8
Most times I just use the dx6i everything I have is a horizon hobby plane and they all use the spectrum stuff. The spectrum air is different the spectrum surface. I can’t stand spectrum surface. The air electronics are actually really good and have never had an issue.

The DXE is a decent beginner radio.

Last edited:
Now see I have only had Jr's back in the day (loved them) and Spectrums (when they took over JR) for air and I hate them for one simple fact (besides being a HH product)...That stupid scroll wheel. I have replaced that sensor on my grandfathers DX6 probably 3-4 times, I even got the "Upgraded" anodized aluminum wheels in hope it would be better but nope. I had a DX8 and sold it because for the money I think the x20 is way better and has way more features. How do you like your x20, Do you use it for multirotor as well? I'm looking to just replace everything with that so I really appreciate your feedback.

Now see I have only had Jr's back in the day (loved them) and Spectrums (when they took over JR) for air and I hate them for one simple fact (besides being a HH product)...That stupid scroll wheel. I have replaced that sensor on my grandfathers DX6 probably 3-4 times, I even got the "Upgraded" anodized aluminum wheels in hope it would be better but nope. I had a DX8 and sold it because for the money I think the x20 is way better and has way more features. How do you like your x20, Do you use it for multirotor as well? I'm looking to just replace everything with that so I really appreciate your feedback.
I think for the dollar the frsky is amazing. But when you buy a horizon plane they are designed to work with the spectrum stuff and they work well together. I don’t think I have had the problem you have simply because I have a controller for every plane or rotor 😂 so I literally just have to power it on and it’s good to go. I did have the left joystick on my frysky go bad but I replaced it with a right so it will self center and have come to really enjoy that as I do a lot of 3d flying so it helps me. But go for it man. If you don’t need the stability function of spectrum then there is no need. I just turn all that crap off anyway

What are you running on your planes? I was looking at a Frsky x20 but can never get it while its in stock.

I have a frsky i6x dx6i and a dx8
Most times I just use the dx6i everything I have is a horizon hobby plane and they all use the spectrum stuff. The spectrum air is different the spectrum surface. I can’t stand spectrum surface. The air electronics are actually really good and have never had an issue.

The DXE is a decent beginner radio.
I have a NX6 for my new micro heli obsession. Although the RadioMaster tx16s looks pretty nice and I’ve heard good things about them. 🤷‍♂️

I have a NX6 for my new micro heli obsession. Although the RadioMaster tx16s looks pretty nice and I’ve heard good things about them. 🤷‍♂️
Nice!! I have been flying since I was about 6 (still have occasional dumb thumbs) mostly airplanes, I got into quads too but Heli's still escape my comprehension, its just a different way of flying. Love to see some of your helis maybe I could handle the micros Lord knows the 450's I just bash lol

Nice!! I have been flying since I was about 6 (still have occasional dumb thumbs) mostly airplanes, I got into quads too but Heli's still escape my comprehension, its just a different way of flying. Love to see some of your helis maybe I could handle the micros Lord knows the 450's I just bash lol
I have actually been recently parting ways with everything. 5 cars, 6 planes and a quad rotor are all I have left at the moment 😞

I’m still a super novice! Only started flying about 2 1/2 months ago. But these micro’s are so tough and the intimidation factor is extremely low compared to the bigger ones. Still learning my orientations without stability mode. Pretty fun, but space is limited in my basement for recovering from loss of orientation.. 🤣
I started with a blade nano s3, I’ve got about 90 flights on it so far, just beating the living daylights out of it. So much so I bought a second one because I thought I had damaged it beyond repair. They are really tough though, I’ve crashed it over 200-300 times.. 🤪 It’s fixed again now and I just added an OMP M1 for when it warms up and I can finally get outside and stretch my “wings” 😎

12BB86DA-D951-41DC-B64B-E018AC9B8556.jpeg
E12FCB3A-4643-4845-9E99-D185B35C1CE6.jpeg

I’m still a super novice! Only started flying about 2 1/2 months ago. But these micro’s are so tough and the intimidation factor is extremely low compared to the bigger ones. Still learning my orientations without stability mode. Pretty fun, but space is limited in my basement for recovering from loss of orientation.. 🤣
I started with a blade nano s3, I’ve got about 90 flights on it so far, just beating the living daylights out of it. So much so I bought a second one because I thought I had damaged it beyond repair. They are really tough though, I’ve crashed it over 200-300 times.. 🤪 It’s fixed again now and I just added an OMP M1 for when it warms up and I can finally get outside and stretch my “wings” 😎

View attachment 628View attachment 627

Wow You have some serious flight time after only 2.5 mo!!! Pretty soon you'll be out doing 3d and inverted hovering!!! It's funny I can fly the woorly bids on real flight but in real life.....not so much.
My wife loves helis but has never flown....(I usually wreck them first). We just got her a 230 S Blade that I said aside from charging her batteries I wouldn't touch lol.

Wow You have some serious flight time after only 2.5 mo!!! Pretty soon you'll be out doing 3d and inverted hovering!!! It's funny I can fly the woorly bids on real flight but in real life.....not so much.
My wife loves helis but has never flown....(I usually wreck them first). We just got her a 230 S Blade that I said aside from charging her batteries I wouldn't touch lol.
Off the wife’s helicopter. Same here man. Helicopters have always mind boggled me. After years flying it’s hard to separate the two. I just ended up using them like a plane lol. I can’t hover in one spot lol

I think for the dollar the frsky is amazing. But when you buy a horizon plane they are designed to work with the spectrum stuff and they work well together. I don’t think I have had the problem you have simply because I have a controller for every plane or rotor 😂 so I literally just have to power it on and it’s good to go. I did have the left joystick on my frysky go bad but I replaced it with a right so it will self center and have come to really enjoy that as I do a lot of 3d flying so it helps me. But go for it man. If you don’t need the stability function of spectrum then there is no need. I just turn all that crap off anyway
That's really good to know!!! I used to have 3-4 transmitters but going out to the field in a smaller SUV became a chore instead of fun between balsa planes, field tool cast (Stackable ryobi) transmitter case's, and cooler my wife could barley get in lol. I Don't need or want the stability control (even though I probably should lol) and if I did I would just add a gyro. Most of what I used to fly (its been awhile) was hanger 9 arf's, balsa kits, Flight Test foamies or just delta wings made out of foam insulation board.
I have actually been recently parting ways with everything. 5 cars, 6 planes and a quad rotor are all I have left at the moment 😞
Man I hope you're not getting out of the hobby, we all need to find refuge in what we enjoy to keep our sanity. If it's an economic thing then we can always buy new stuff, I've had to do it with my stuff before all I can recommend is just think a day or two before you sell anything you will regret. I sold my Wraith to a buddy back in 2016 and it was one of the last gifts my mom gave me but luckily I was able to trade for it back a few months ago and after a few repairs its RTR again. If you ever wanna chat man just PM me, US RC guys gotta stick together!

Off the wife’s helicopter. Same here man. Helicopters have always mind boggled me. After years flying it’s hard to separate the two. I just ended up using them like a plane lol. I can’t hover in one spot lol
LOL The one key difference I can't build into muscle memory is that in a plane when you get into trouble you usually down throttle, in a heli its the opposite. Now quads I treat like a plane and doing FPV stuff translates to my video game playing so I'm good with that but the heli's are just a different world for sure.

That's really good to know!!! I used to have 3-4 transmitters but going out to the field in a smaller SUV became a chore instead of fun between balsa planes, field tool cast (Stackable ryobi) transmitter case's, and cooler my wife could barley get in lol. I Don't need or want the stability control (even though I probably should lol) and if I did I would just add a gyro. Most of what I used to fly (its been awhile) was hanger 9 arf's, balsa kits, Flight Test foamies or just delta wings made out of foam insulation board.

Man I hope you're not getting out of the hobby, we all need to find refuge in what we enjoy to keep our sanity. If it's an economic thing then we can always buy new stuff, I've had to do it with my stuff before all I can recommend is just think a day or two before you sell anything you will regret. I sold my Wraith to a buddy back in 2016 and it was one of the last gifts my mom gave me but luckily I was able to trade for it back a few months ago and after a few repairs its RTR again. If you ever wanna chat man just PM me, US RC guys gotta stick together!

LOL The one key difference I can't build into muscle memory is that in a plane when you get into trouble you usually down throttle, in a heli its the opposite. Now quads I treat like a plane and doing FPV stuff translates to my video game playing so I'm good with that but the heli's are just a different world for sure.
No not getting out of the hobby. I hurt myself good a few months back and the medical bills started to pile up. So had to come up with some money. Much better now though and starting to rebuild the inventory lol

Back