Asuga Tires for Asuga

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrjr71

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Asuga
  2. Muraco
  3. Radix
I finally got my new Asuga out for a run on packed dirt yesterday, and I was not impressed with the grip of the stock tires. Is anyone here using aftermarket tires, and if so, what are your thoughts or recommendations?

I finally got my new Asuga out for a run on packed dirt yesterday, and I was not impressed with the grip of the stock tires. Is anyone here using aftermarket tires, and if so, what are your thoughts or recommendations?
I'm running methods for a mojave on mine, very close to stock size which was important to me as I'm not a big fan of truck tires on a buggy, traction is excellent

IMG_20231107_164139548.jpg

I'm running methods for a mojave on mine, very close to stock size which was important to me as I'm not a big fan of truck tires on a buggy, traction is excellent

View attachment 5843
Thanks. Those look great! I've added them to my list of tires to consider. Did you need any hex extensions to get them to fit?

I would say anything made for Mojave/UDR should be the right size, although the UDR wheels may have an inner wheel diameter that's too small, requiring some offset to clear the Asuga hubs.
I just ordered a set for my Mojave off of AliEx, $40 for the set. They are unglued, but I'm okay with that. Gives me an opportunity to properly clean them before gluing.
https://www.google.com/search?q=135...CTIuMS4xLjAuMaAHrSA&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp

Screenshot_20240415-102704_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240412-142750_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks, but I prefer a larger wheel and slimmer tire like true buggy wheels.
Okay. Gotchya, but the Method's are pretty much the same type as I linked, no?:unsure:🤷‍♂️

Tough finding 5" buggy tires in my experience.

Okay. Gotchya, but the Method's are pretty much the same type as I linked, no?:unsure:🤷‍♂️

Tough finding 5" buggy tires in my experience.
The methods aren't the typical short course wheel, both inner and outer rim diameter is the same on them

I see it now, sorry. I understand. Low(er) profile tires. I have yet to find a 6s capable tire that can take what the Arrma Fortress 6s can in the 5" range. Though the Fortress doesn't work particularly well on hardpack dirt. I did pick up a set of the Proline Mirage TT last year, not really impressed. Good tire, just rather slick on clay.

For whatever reason, I like the SCT design over traditional buggy tire/wheels. I think they look better with a meaty sidewall, plus more protection for the wheels. I think it's the "kids" running around with the lifted pickup trucks and "mall terrain" tires that turns me off with regards to LP tires TBH..🫨😂

Last edited:
I found a set of dboots Katar T belted truggy tires I have laying around. They are 5.5" in diameter and are the width of buggy tires. Now all I have to do is get the stock wheels off of the Asuga so I can try them - they are really tight. I probably need to heat the wheels a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRMA-dBoots-Katar-Belted-ARA550097/dp/B098F4DPZH
Oh right, I always forget about the Katars! I have a "like new" set tucked away here somewhere too. Hopefully they work well.👍

I found a set of dboots Katar T belted truggy tires I have laying around. They are 5.5" in diameter and are the width of buggy tires. Now all I have to do is get the stock wheels off of the Asuga so I can try them - they are really tight. I probably need to heat the wheels a bit.

Drill them out once you get the stock wheels off. A half inch drill bit is what I use, ream the center hole of the wheels really good. Has worked well for me.
As to getting them off, we've discussed the heat gun method. Another is a rubber mallet. Leave the wheelnut on, but back it off the wheel. Hold the wheel in one hand, smack the wheelnut/axle with the mallet. It works, may chew the mallet up a bit. Depending on wheel offset, the mallet method may not be feasible I suppose. My need a piece of wood dowel and an extra set of hands?

Last edited:

Prior to drilling out the centre holes , I used to stand the buggy on its side , stand on the opposite wheel and pulled the other 👍🏻
Here’s mine with katar’s
IMG_0284.jpeg

Prior to drilling out the centre holes , I used to stand the buggy on its side , stand on the opposite wheel and pulled the other 👍🏻
Here’s mine with katar’s
View attachment 5847
Makes me wish Arrma would branch out a bit with their offerings. Different tread patterns with the same construction methods. But then, at retail price they're not really very attractive IMO. I love the durability of Arrma's tires/wheels, just wish they offered something more appropriate for my needs. Guess I'm in the minority when it comes to usage.

Here’s mine with katar’s
View attachment 5847
Those Katars on the Asuga look great! I can see myself doing that when I get a chance to pull the stock wheels off.

Makes me wish Arrma would branch out a bit with their offerings. Different tread patterns with the same construction methods. But then, at retail price they're not really very attractive IMO. I love the durability of Arrma's tires/wheels, just wish they offered something more appropriate for my needs. Guess I'm in the minority when it comes to usage.
I don't usually buy Arrma wheels and tires at retail price - I usually buy them from Jenny's RC, a RC parts breaker, at substantially less cost than buying retail. Unfortunately, since the Talion is discontinued, Jenny's no longer has the Katar T wheels and tires for sale. If I want another set to replace these (they were on my Muraco) I will have to pay retail. :(

Last edited:
Those Katars on the Asuga look great! I can see myself doing that when I get a chance to pull the stock wheels off.

I don't usually buy Arrma wheels and tires at retail price - I usually buy them from Jenny's RC, a RC parts breaker, at substantially less cost than buying retail. Unfortunately, since the Talion is discontinued, Jenny's no longer has the Katar T wheels and tires for sale. If I want another set to replace these (they were on my Muraco) I will have to pay retail. :(
Same here, kit breakers. I have a set of non belted Katar T's I scored from JRC several years ago. Even the non belted are tough as nails. I suppose since HH owns Proline and Duratrax, not much point in really pushing the Dboots line.. Proline makes good tires, but the options are too limited. Same for most any of the race tires. Buggy, Truggy or MT, but they don't address the "in betweeners", such as Mojave 6s or 4s, Asuga 6s.. I wish I could find some race worthy 8s tires for my Xmaxx and Kraton 8s as well.. Jconcepts makes the Choppers, but they weigh a ton and I hear the hub adapters break. Then there's the $200 price tag..

Back