Asuga The Unmentionable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took mine out for a first run this past Sunday, it was a bit windy but great weather. Run for a few minutes and steering quit, unplugged everything and waited a few. Took off again and ran great for a few minutes and steering quit again. Did this about 4 times and packed it in. I have a ProTech 170 that should be here Thursday. We'll see how that works out.

I recently had a bad servo cable that had a tiny little pinch in it as well. I had similar issues plus a lot of noise. The darn thing was ridiculously loud and jumpy. As soon as I swapped out the cable it was instantly noticeable. Best of luck.

Seemed like the servo was overheating. When I pulled it out the wires were pinched during assembly. I have had others with pinched wires but it didn't effect performance.

Interesting. I wonder if its the pinched wire or something else. One of my buddies burned up 3 HS servos. He switched out to a 170 and then burned that one too. His replacement 170 also started acting wonky, which seemed to be caused by the cable. He's since replaced it with an EcoPower, so we'll see how this works for him.

I recently had a bad servo cable that had a tiny little pinch in it as well. I had similar issues plus a lot of noise. The darn thing was ridiculously loud and jumpy. As soon as I swapped out the cable it was instantly noticeable. Best of luck.

I also have an Annimos servo with a pretty badly pinched cable. If you move the cable a certain way, it'll stop working. I've tucked it in the Rx box so that it doesn't move around, and so far it hasn't cut out. 🤞

On the last page I was singing the AGFs praises. I had my rig out for it's first proper run after managing to fix a whole multitude of issues on it only for the servo to start behaving erratically within the first 10 minutes: cut-outs, spasms and eventually, full continuous 360° rotation with no servo horn attached :(

I've disassembled and noticed a pinch in the ESC cable but not the servo cable. It's behaving like my Corally servos did when they got wet inside but the AGF is supposed to proper waterproof (IP67) and the thing wasn't submerged at all. I've pulled the bottom off the servo and currently have it sat on the radiator in the hope to dry out any liquid that may be trapped in there but can't take the top off at the minute since it seems to use a hex smaller than 1.5mm which is the smallest driver I have so need to buy something new. Is 1mm hex normal for the top of a servo? The Corally ones used Phillips heads so can't compare there.

On the last page I was singing the AGFs praises. I had my rig out for it's first proper run after managing to fix a whole multitude of issues on it only for the servo to start behaving erratically within the first 10 minutes: cut-outs, spasms and eventually, full continuous 360° rotation with no servo horn attached :(

I've disassembled and noticed a pinch in the ESC cable but not the servo cable. It's behaving like my Corally servos did when they got wet inside but the AGF is supposed to proper waterproof (IP67) and the thing wasn't submerged at all. I've pulled the bottom off the servo and currently have it sat on the radiator in the hope to dry out any liquid that may be trapped in there but can't take the top off at the minute since it seems to use a hex smaller than 1.5mm which is the smallest driver I have so need to buy something new. Is 1mm hex normal for the top of a servo? The Corally ones used Phillips heads so can't compare there.
It might be a .05 in hex - that's what I've seen on 1/18 and 1/24 scale vehicles. I had to buy one myself when I got my first small-scale vehicle.

It might be a .05 in hex - that's what I've seen on 1/18 and 1/24 scale vehicles. I had to buy one myself when I got my first small-scale vehicle.
This is a standard size servo so I'd have thought it'd be the next size down from 1.5mm which I would have assumed would be 1mm but it looks like the RC specific sets have some proper strange sizes in them:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makerfire-...712761126&sprefix=1mm+hex+drive,aps,68&sr=8-4

I mean I could just buy that set but it's more than I'd want to spend for two screws since I already have a set of 1.5mm+

I took mine out for a first run this past Sunday, it was a bit windy but great weather. Run for a few minutes and steering quit, unplugged everything and waited a few. Took off again and ran great for a few minutes and steering quit again. Did this about 4 times and packed it in. I have a ProTech 170 that should be here Thursday. We'll see how that works out.
170SBL and TBL are excellent servos. Precise centering and fast. Handle up to 7.4v. Perfect for steering.

On nitro, I really like the TBL for extra grunt for brakes.

The only lookout with these race orientated Protek servos is that they're not rated as waterproof. This is my only criticism of them for such an expensive servo.

170SBL and TBL are excellent servos. Precise centering and fast. Handle up to 7.4v. Perfect for steering.

On nitro, I really like the TBL for extra grunt for brakes.

The only lookout with these race orientated Protek servos is that they're not rated as waterproof. This is my only criticism of them for such an expensive servo.

Aye. You'd think that for 160 bucks some waterproofing would be thrown in.

My guess is that the removable cable is why they don't claim waterproof.
The removable cable is via a very snug grommet.

To be honest, regular non-removable cables from waterproof servos would still have to pass through a grommet of some kind, so I'm not sure if that's the reason.

Despite not being rated as waterproof, I've had no issues with mine in the wet - but I don't drive any of my rigs through deep puddles or run them anywhere salty.

It's impossible most of the time to avoid wet weather here in Wales. As we call it - liquid sunshine. We get loads of it. I'm pretty sure rain was actually invented in Wales. 😝

Just to add - I think when it comes to servos and how waterproof they are, unless they are specifically specifying IP67 rating, it's not safe to immerse them in water.

Otherwise, pretty much any servo is fine for splashing through puddles.

None of my Servo failures have been due to water ingress.

All have been impact or current related issues, or on one occasion where a rig was switched on with no Tx signal. I'm guessing running rigs through salty water/sea/sand would quickly destroy most rigs, regardless of IP rating.

Last edited:
I think I'll be refraining from mentioning just about anything having to deal with servos from now on. It seems Jeff has vexed quite the malignant spirit who is no longer content with only one offering. 😲

Just yesterday I burned up another servo. 🤦‍♂️ This was the last of the two that I got on amazon. There was a deal on them, buy 2 for 40 bucks. Blew the first one last weekend, although that could possibly have been due to incorrect EPAs. The servo still functioned, but I think the gears got ground up pretty good. I got the second servo set up for this weekend and it didn't even make it 5 minutes on the track. This one just died altogether; no noise, no grinding, not even a token middle finger telling me to get bent. Just straight up left the chat. I know I set the EPAs correctly this time around; but something about the servo saver caught my eye, so I'll be taking a look at that before the install. The spring seems a little tight compared to my Shogun, so maybe I'll adjust that a bit.

The servos I bought were Miuzei. They look almost exactly like the Annimos servo. Function wise...there's a bit of a gap between the two.

I think I'll be refraining from mentioning just about anything having to deal with servos from now on. It seems Jeff has vexed quite the malignant spirit who is no longer content with only one offering. 😲

Just yesterday I burned up another servo. 🤦‍♂️ This was the last of the two that I got on amazon. There was a deal on them, buy 2 for 40 bucks. Blew the first one last weekend, although that could possibly have been due to incorrect EPAs. The servo still functioned, but I think the gears got ground up pretty good. I got the second servo set up for this weekend and it didn't even make it 5 minutes on the track. This one just died altogether; no noise, no grinding, not even a token middle finger telling me to get bent. Just straight up left the chat. I know I set the EPAs correctly this time around; but something about the servo saver caught my eye, so I'll be taking a look at that before the install. The spring seems a little tight compared to my Shogun, so maybe I'll adjust that a bit.

The servos I bought were Miuzei. They look almost exactly like the Annimos servo. Function wise...there's a bit of a gap between the two.
As the old saying goes.......

....buy cheap, buy often.

I know that there are incredibly well specced, cheap servos out there on Amazon - but it appears to me like it's become normal to change them as and when - almost like consumable parts.

Weak gears, shoddy PCB's, burnouts, grossly over inflated specifications etc etc.

I prefer to stick to:

Hitec
Futaba
Protek (170 SBL/TBL)
AGF (810 BHMW)
Savox (I find them a bit noisy though)

They are upwards of 4 times the cost of Amazon servos. AGF more like twice the price. But they work and keep on working. 👍💪

As the old saying goes.......

....buy cheap, buy often.

I know that there are incredibly well specced, cheap servos out there on Amazon - but it appears to me like it's become normal to change them as and when - almost like consumable parts.

Weak gears, shoddy PCB's, burnouts, grossly over inflated specifications etc etc.

I prefer to stick to:

Hitec
Futaba
Protek (170 SBL/TBL)
AGF (810 BHMW)
Savox (I find them a bit noisy though)

They are upwards of 4 times the cost of Amazon servos. AGF more like twice the price. But they work and keep on working. 👍💪

True. Back in the day I ran Hitec servos and they worked pretty good. This time around I'm experimenting with more brands. I have a couple of HS servos that will be put into service, so hopefully they'll do well. Next up will be either AGF or EcoPower.

Incidentally, the servos burned out in my ET48.3. The other rigs are doing just fine. :unsure:

Back