Sketer Sketer underpowered?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've bought a few escs from this guy over the years, everything he sells is OEM Hobbywing stuff.
I think we had a discussion about where these parts come from as well..
I bought a max 10 120a and 3670 motor from the same seller. Been flawless for me👍

Seller claims they arnt hobbywing

Screenshot_20230426-175947.png

I put a Hobby Wing Max 8 combo in my Sketer with a 16 tooth pinion. Also widened it and put Badlands on for tires. On 4s it's the sweet spot and an animal. Temps were perfect. I tried 6s for :poop: and giggles-totally uncontrollable.

New motor came today, looks well built. Magnets are alot stronger than the old motor. Installed it with a 16t pinion. Wont have time to test till this weeknd. But did toss in a 3s battery, and tested wheel speed . Tires ballooned so thats a good sign , as they wouldnt at all on 3s with the old motor. I almost wonder if i had a weak motor from the get go. Because with the 16t on the 725 kuron, if i stopped the truck on any hill it would just keep rolling under its own weight. None of my other rigs do that.

So first run with new motor with 16t pinion. Its night and day difference, never hit thermal shut down and it runs hard. Getting cogging though, back punch setting down? ( At max setting right now) or back gearing down? Managed to get a nice rock jammed up between center diff and the battery housing. Locked the car up solid when it caught

IMG_20230505_171810197.jpg

IMG_20230505_171815080.jpg

That center diff looks all to familiar!! I've got 2 just like it lol, darn rocks take the sexy right out of them

I use a dust cover on my rigs. Haven't had an issue yet.
Ditto. I had a couple of issues with grass and chippings getting into the gubbins during my first few outings with my Kronos XTR. I bought a Dusty Motors Chassis Shroud - problem solved.

I find no adverse effect on running Temps either to be honest - having operational fans on motor/esc isn't an option in my opinion. Cover is essential I reckon.

@ OP
The Sketer on the 725 motor (4068) might seem under powered if you're used to light weight racing rigs.

I'm fairly certain an 825 (4174) could be shoe-horned in and give outrageous power - it's rated at 3000w.

Running 825 on Sketer and 2 fans. Still getting hot but not as quick as the 727 setup. 4s only. Mine is a heavy girl btw 🤣

Running 825 on Sketer and 2 fans. Still getting hot but not as quick as the 727 setup. 4s only. Mine is a heavy girl btw 🤣
825 should produce more torque and allow you to gear up more than 725.

I cooked my 825 when I first had it, but with dual fans runs no higher than 165° now. 😁

Ditto. I had a couple of issues with grass and chippings getting into the gubbins during my first few outings with my Kronos XTR. I bought a Dusty Motors Chassis Shroud - problem solved.

I find no adverse effect on running Temps either to be honest - having operational fans on motor/esc isn't an option in my opinion. Cover is essential I reckon.

@ OP
The Sketer on the 725 motor (4068) might seem under powered if you're used to light weight racing rigs.

I'm fairly certain an 825 (4174) could be shoe-horned in and give outrageous power - it's rated at 3000w.
Mine for what ever reason seemed underpowered. On 3s it wouldnt even lift the front tires, on 4s it seemed about as quick as my rival mt10 on 2s. I did have the esc replaced under warranty, as it went up in smoke as soon as i plugged batterys in. Idk if i got a dud motor aswell. The new motor that i just put in made a huge difference, i posted the link to it a few posts ago

Mine for what ever reason seemed underpowered. On 3s it wouldnt even lift the front tires, on 4s it seemed about as quick as my rival mt10 on 2s. I did have the esc replaced under warranty, as it went up in smoke as soon as i plugged batterys in. Idk if i got a dud motor aswell. The new motor that i just put in made a huge difference, i posted the link to it a few posts ago
Sounds like your motor was faulty as well - what a bad bit of luck.

3000 watt + motor in 1/8 anything shouldn't be slow. Glad you're all sorted now. 👍

If some one wants to pay shipping. I will send them the stock kuron 725 to see if its turd, or if its just me with high expectations

If some one wants to pay shipping. I will send them the stock kuron 725 to see if its turd, or if its just me with high expectations

It's 40x68mm vs. 42x74mm....!

Back