Sketer Sketer underpowered?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

Reaction score
So ive noticed my sketer is nose heavy, dosnt like to do back flips. Put 16t pinion in but kept over heating. Put a 14t pinion in and man this thing is slow/under powered. 3s it wont lift the front end, 4s it will finally lift the front but back flips always end up with it landing on its body upside down. The kronos on 4s seems to have twice the power. Not sure if its a ring gear and spur gear difference, as the kuron 825 is a lower kv motor than the 725. So far the sketer has been a tank and handles good. But its just too dang slow and underpowered. New motor and esc?

So ive noticed my sketer is nose heavy, dosnt like to do back flips. Put 16t pinion in but kept over heating. Put a 14t pinion in and man this thing is slow/under powered. 3s it wont lift the front end, 4s it will finally lift the front but back flips always end up with it landing on its body upside down. The kronos on 4s seems to have twice the power. Not sure if its a ring gear and spur gear difference, as the kuron 825 is a lower kv motor than the 725. So far the sketer has been a tank and handles good. But its just too dang slow and underpowered. New motor and esc?
Agree that running stock it's not a rocket ship. I run mine on a 15 tooth pinion which seems to be a sweet spot for better speed than the 14 but easier to maintain reasonable temps. I'm curious what the 46 tooth spur from the Python would do. I have a single fan on the motor but may change to a 2-fan setup to keep things cool. I put the Torox 185 ESC in which easily handles 4s in this rig all day long. I also find it to be nose-heavy but haven't had much luck successfully addressing that issue. Some softer tires that balloon a bit more may offer better air control?

So it seems to have the same gearing as the kronos. Has a higher kv motor than the kronos. But is alot slower. Dosnt make sense

So it seems to have the same gearing as the kronos. Has a higher kv motor than the kronos. But is alot slower. Dosnt make sense
Tire height, I don't know what you're using for tires plus I don't own a skeeter to know what height they are but I'm gonna guess roughly 30mm shorter, there's always variables but generally it takes 1 tooth pinion for every 10mm of tire height, so the sketer would need 3 teeth more on the pinion than the kronos if everything else is equal between trucks to run the same speed

The tires are quite a bit smaller. I tride a 16t pinion which is 3t bigger than stock. Still seemed slow and under powered, ended up taking it off as it was too much gear for the esc and motor to handle

I think the Sketer motor is a bit undersized for the weight.. the Kuron 725 is a 4068 (typical 1/8 buggy) sized can according to Corally, watts of power not specified.. They're calling the Kuron 825 a 4174 sized can, @3000 watts. I think that's enough difference to make the Sketer a bit slow🤷‍♂️

Id want to keep it 3s and 4s. 6s would be too much. I know the kronos combo on 3s feels every bit as quick as the stock sketer powerplant on 4s

Time for a motor and esc upgrade then...
The motor at least, the 130a esc should be ok as long as you don't run over 4s. I would at least try it. Take the motor from your xtr and drop it into the Sketer. See how it does🤷‍♂️

FWIW, I have been running an 80a Redcat esc on 4s for 10 years..it has been in an MT with 4074 2000kv, 1/8 buggy running a 4068 2560kv.. never had it thermal shutdown once.

FWIW, I have been running an 80a Redcat esc on 4s for 10 years..it has been in an MT with 4074 2000kv, 1/8 buggy running a 4068 2560kv.. never had it thermal shutdown once.
Thought about just ordering a kraton 6s motor as they are dirt cheap

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230425-122614_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230425-122614_Samsung Internet.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 66
Add in another 10bucks for motor leads and there roughly the same price.. the spectrum from what i found is made by hobbywing and is around 2800watts
Yeah, I wasn't even thinking about bullet size.. I have a bin full of random wires and bullets for just such reasons. I say go for the ebay motor if it's plug and play. I have bought some of them from ebay, 3670 size, been great.
Yeah, the firma 2050 is decent, if it were 5050watts, they wouldn't be for sale on every corner, that's for sure. LOL

Disregard the bullet size, I see they're all 4mm. You meant extensions?

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking about bullet size.. I have a bin full of random wires and bullets for just such reasons. I say go for the ebay motor if it's plug and play. I have bought some of them from ebay, 3670 size, been great.
Yeah, the firma 2050 is decent, if it were 5050watts, they wouldn't be for sale on every corner, that's for sure. LOL

Disregard the bullet size, I see they're all 4mm. You meant extensions?
Yes extensions. Id had to buy bullets and wire and or buy pre made extensions. The ebay one has long enough leads off the motor to reach the esc

Back