Sketer Sketer underpowered?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's 40x68mm vs. 42x74mm....!
The thing would hardly pick the front tires up on 4s with the stock can. 3s forget about it. Was terribly slow imo, as i stated above. The ecm was bad out of the box. Makes me wonder about the motor too

The thing would hardly pick the front tires up on 4s with the stock can. 3s forget about it. Was terribly slow imo, as i stated above. The ecm was bad out of the box. Makes me wonder about the motor too

What other 4S cars have you tried? IMO, it's pretty comparable to the other 4S cars. The Kraton/Outcast are faster, but I think that's mainly due to them being lighter. The Maxx wheelies instantly, but that's because it has a locked center diff (20M) and a HCG chassis.

What other 4S cars have you tried? IMO, it's pretty comparable to the other 4S cars. The Kraton/Outcast are faster, but I think that's mainly due to them being lighter. The Maxx wheelies instantly, but that's because it has a locked center diff (20M) and a HCG chassis.
None this is my first 4s car. Comparing it to my 3s trucks and my kronos on 4s. Speed wise on 4s it was comparable to my rival mt10 with a 14t pinion on 2s and the kronos on 3s. When i ran it on 3s it was terribly slow

Little update. I backed the pinion off from 16t to a 14t due to cogging and overheating. Ran a full two packs today with zero issues. With this new motor 14t seems to be about perfect, thing is a hoot on 4s. I ordered a set of 15mm extened hex's. I know its not the proper way but jennys is out of stock on the 6s drive shafts. Going to order a set of arrma 4s tires and try them out. The stock tires are too small, hardly balloon( for air rotation) and are super hard compound that don't hook up. Ive took some hard one wheel landings and no broken arms, just bent shock shafts

In my opinion the Sketer is a good platform, just far too heavy for 4s..!!
It's an armored 1/8 scale buggy with oversized (for a buggy) tires. No surprise a 4s system struggles.. truthfully, all I think it needs is the motor upgrade to run well on 4s.
It's the motor that's straining. I used to run a Redcat Avalanche XTE (1/8 MT) with a Thunder Tiger 4074 2000kv on 4s through an 80a Redcat(HW) esc..never had an issue with heat.. 80 amp!!
Guess what? That 80a esc is now running my Xray XB8 on 4s, 12 years later, original fan even!!
The TT Ripper motor burned up in my Mojo EXB on 6s.. my fault, no fans, too excited..🤪😂😂

Got the new arrma 4s tires on, whole different animal now. Might have to put the wheelie bar back on, as when i wheelie the body catches the grass and sends it into a forward cart wheel. Need to back gearing off from the 14t pinion to a 13t. Getting a bit of cogging and esc overheating. So far im liking it

IMG_20230526_161026562.jpg

IMG_20230526_161032884.jpg

IMG_20230526_161015993.jpg

Nice banshee hiding in the back!
Thanks! Thats my baby. 2005 full frame up resto 2 year ago. Gloss black powder frame, candy blue long travel a arms, fireball racing rear swing arm, elka suspension, new axle, all tid bits powder coated, brand new oem plastics, 4mil crank, cylinders ported by f.a.s.t racing, cool head, brand new slp pipes, xrf nerf bars, list goes on and on. Its 95%done but still ripable. I let her loose a once a month or so

Thanks! Thats my baby. 2005 full frame up resto 2 year ago. Gloss black powder frame, candy blue long travel a arms, fireball racing rear swing arm, elka suspension, new axle, all tid bits powder coated, brand new oem plastics, 4mil crank, cylinders ported by f.a.s.t racing, cool head, brand new slp pipes, xrf nerf bars, list goes on and on. Its 95%done but still ripable. I let her loose a once a month or so
Very nice! I had a 96, sold it too soon, probably 10 years ago now but I see the value has gone way up on them, had an 88 quadzilla too, gave them away compared to the prices today, oh well, can't win em all

Niice. Never had, but ridden a few. Screamers! Always had a dream of dropping a cr500 motor into a 250r frame. Living in NY insures that'll never happen, can't ride the things anywhere here, yet they expect ya to reg and insure it. To ride seasonal use roads? Nah.
My brother in law has a 250r all decked out it'sr eally nice.. fat bastard, prolly can't even ride it anymore. LOL.

Very nice! I had a 96, sold it too soon, probably 10 years ago now but I see the value has gone way up on them, had an 88 quadzilla too, gave them away compared to the prices today, oh well, can't win em all
Ooh, another that I always fancied!! I never cared for the handling of the Banshees in stock form , they put cheap shocks on from factory I felt.. 2 strokes forever!!😎🍻🤘

Niice. Never had, but ridden a few. Screamers! Always had a dream of dropping a cr500 motor into a 250r frame. Living in NY insures that'll never happen, can't ride the things anywhere here, yet they expect ya to reg and insure it. To ride seasonal use roads? Nah.
My brother in law has a 250r all decked out it'sr eally nice.. fat bastard, prolly can't even ride it anymore. LOL.

Ooh, another that I always fancied!! I never cared for the handling of the Banshees in stock form , they put cheap shocks on from factory I felt.. 2 strokes forever!!😎🍻🤘
We just moved from upstate ny to ky last august, hence why the shop is a mess. Had to start all over again. We lived in no mans land up home, dirt roads every where. We rode every weekend, depends where your at in ny. KY is much more fore giving thats forsure

I had a 89 zilla back when i was 18(2008) didnt care for it. Love my banshees

I really have no clue what im doing with rc cars, motor and esc wise. But trucks cars atvs , pretty any thing with a motor i can tear down rebuild and make it fast

Got the new arrma 4s tires on, whole different animal now. Might have to put the wheelie bar back on, as when i wheelie the body catches the grass and sends it into a forward cart wheel. Need to back gearing off from the 14t pinion to a 13t. Getting a bit of cogging and esc overheating. So far im liking it

Awesome! Those tires look great on the Sketer! Did you have to widen the rig to get them to fit, or do they fit well on the stock build?

We lived in no mans land up home, dirt roads every where. We rode every weekend, depends where your at in ny.
Oh, there's plenty of places near me to ride. It's illegal though, not that I'm a legal beagle by any means, but not worth the hassle. I'm too old to be running from Johnny law nowadays. We have people running all over my area in side by sides, dirt bikes, atvs..first time I go out, bam, here's Johnny.

Awesome! Those tires look great on the Sketer! Did you have to widen the rig to get them to fit, or do they fit well on the stock build?
I put 15mm hex extenders on just to try. Will be doing the wide mod with corally parts soon

Back