New Hobbywing Max8 G2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Higher price and an extra cable to deal with... not aware of any other disadvantages.
Another advantage is that the motors usually have temperature sensors as well, allowing the ESC to shut down when the motor is too hot, something that won't happen on sensorless systems.
Actually there are few motors with a temperature sensor, but I have no Idea how to integrate this function into e.g. Max8 or similar.

Actually there are few motors with a temperature sensor, but I have no Idea how to integrate this function into e.g. Max8 or similar.
That's true, but I'd imagine you need an ESC that's compatible? There's other options too, for example, I have a Max8 combo, and on the motor I installed a temp sensor that goes around the can and plugs into the receiver. It doesn't provide high temperature cutoff, but it does give temperature readings. This is with a Traxxas receiver by the way. Not a solution I would recommend though.

I have a Max10 SCT ESC and a G2 4000kv motor, and they connect with a cable that monitors motor temps. That cable doesn't do anything other than pass the motor temp on to the ESC. The ESC will shut the motor down if it gets too hot.

Is there any disadvantage of using a sensored system (beside the eventually higher price)?

They weren’t usually waterproof due to the sensor cable. The G2 fixes that with a new cable.

How much is the new Max8 G2? I couldn’t find pricing anywhere.

Hobbywing Ezrun MAX8 G2 Regler Sensorless 160 Amp, 3-6s LiPo, BEC 6A​

Hobbywing
Ezrun MAX8 G2 Regler Sensorless 160 Amp, 3-6s LiPo, BEC 6A

159,00 € *
inkl. MwSt. zzgl. Versandkosten
Sofort versandfertig, Bestand: >20 Stück.

https://shop.robitronic.com/de/hobbywing-ezrun-4268sd-motor-hw30402751

Hobbywing Ezrun 4278SD Motor G2 2250kV​

Hobbywing
Ezrun 4274SD Motor G2 2250kV

129,00 € *

Hobbywing Ezrun 4268SD Motor G2 2500kV​

Hobbywing
Ezrun 4268SD-Motor G2 2500kV

121,00 € *

Hobbywing Ezrun MAX8 G2 Regler Sensorless 160 Amp, 3-6s LiPo, BEC 6A​

Hobbywing
Ezrun MAX8 G2 Regler Sensorless 160 Amp, 3-6s LiPo, BEC 6A

159,00 € *

https://shop.robitronic.com/de/hobbywing-ezrun-4268sd-motor-hw30402751

Hobbywing Ezrun 4278SD Motor G2 2250kV​

Hobbywing
Ezrun 4274SD Motor G2 2250kV

129,00 € *

Hobbywing Ezrun 4268SD Motor G2 2500kV​

Hobbywing
Ezrun 4268SD-Motor G2 2500kV

121,00 € *
This is not bad at all! Compared to the Torox 185 + Kuron 825 is just €40 more. Very tempting!!!

Since the KV in the new HW motors is even higher than the old 2200kV motor, are these to be used in buggies only?Most monster truck owners seem to prefer <2000 kv motors.

Since the KV in the new HW motors is even higher than the old 2200kV motor, are these to be used in buggies only?Most monster truck owners seem to prefer <2000 kv motors.
Good question, I do wonder why Hobbywing went to a 2250kv also. The can is a tad longer which should provide a little more torque I think.
2250 is really better suited to a truggy but I think it will be fine in a stock mt. Once the upgrades start increasing the weight, it might become an issue? I run a 2200 4274 in my mojave and it's working great so far after a year. It does have small tires but is fairly heavy I think.

The can is a tad longer which should provide a little more torque I think.
I believe all that extra length is just to house the sensor board and that the actual inners will be the same size 🤔
Until someone strips one down though we don't know..👍🏼

On a side note, over here in the UK both the ESC and the Motor are available to order separately but no sign of a combo 😩 I think that's a ripoff to be honest as it make it nearly £100 more expensive than a standard Max8 combo..!!

I really want to try one, but I'm holding out for a combo..!!
Everything is expensive enough in this hobby already without companies taking the pi55 by not supplying a boxed combo.🤬
Hobbywing if your listening, sort your 💩 out..!!!

I believe all that extra length is just to house the sensor board and that the actual inners will be the same size 🤔
Until someone strips one down though we don't know..👍🏼

On a side note, over here in the UK both the ESC and the Motor are available to order separately but no sign of a combo 😩 I think that's a ripoff to be honest as it make it nearly £100 more expensive than a standard Max8 combo..!!

I really want to try one, but I'm holding out for a combo..!!
Everything is expensive enough in this hobby already without companies taking the pi55 by not supplying a boxed combo.🤬
Hobbywing if your listening, sort your 💩 out..!!!
I agree on all ☝️ to add fuel to the fire, it looks like HW put the G1 max8 combo on sale😮😱🤣
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/combo-special/products/combo-ezrun-max-8-combo

Well, that's the upside when a new model is announced - (most of the times) the predecessor becomes a bargain ;)
Yeah, hope so. I'd snatch up a max8 combo (or 2)for $150 or so..😁
I got a couple Corally combos off JRC for abouut $150 a set. Killer combo for $150 IMO.

Back