New Hobbywing Max8 G2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniC

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos XTR
Lets put 12s in the Kronos and see what happens 🤣
Oh wait 800 dollars for the combo 🤔🤔🤑🤑

I love the buggy in the video.
20200429_211457.jpg

From the description in the link, it looks like they are trying to compete with the Castle MMX system.

IP67 for a sensored system is nice, but honestly: do I need a sensored power system in a basher anyway? 🤔

Hardly...

Learning question: what does a sensoren system do?? More options to tweak your power system??
IP67 for a sensored system is nice, but honestly: do I need a sensored power system in a basher anyway? 🤔

Hardly...

Learning question: what does a sensoren system do?? More options to tweak your power system??
In simple terms, it eliminates cogging at low speeds. The motor has a sensor that tells the ESC at what position the rotor is with respect to the stator, so it allows the ESC to time the current in such a way that it rotates smoothly. Or something along those lines...

In simple terms, it eliminates cogging at low speeds. The motor has a sensor that tells the ESC at what position the rotor is with respect to the stator, so it allows the ESC to time the current in such a way that it rotates smoothly. Or something along those lines...
So more for crawlers because basher go full pull 💪

So more for crawlers because basher go full pull 💪
Yes. But nothing stops you from putting a sensored system on a basher though. I'll make it more versatile and allow for other driving styles, like trailing, or a mix or trailing and bashing. So it's down to personal preference, like most things in this hobby. As long as it puts a smile on your face then it's all good.

Is there any disadvantage of using a sensored system (beside the eventually higher price)?

@The Stig:
I'll try to explain as good as I can, anyone is invited to add more sophisticated information or correction. I'm not the best "explainer" and English is not "me mothas tong", but I'll try:

"brushless" motors work on the basis of three phase current, that is why they have 3 leads. The ESC is transforming a direct current (from the battery) into a 3 phase current. The more we pull the throttle, the faster the field is revolving and the motor (more precise: the rotor inside) is following these revolutions. In a sensored system the ESC "knows" exactly the position of the rotor so it can be perfectly sychronized with the magnetic field. This is especially an advantage when running up the motor. Very smooth starts are possible.
A non sensored sytem doesn't "know" the positon of the rotor. The magnetic field starts turning and eventually the rotor follows the field. When the rotor is turning the ESC is able to determine it's position, but only when it is rotating.
So the run up is always a little rough. We know this effect as "cogging".

Vehicles like the Kronos, Punisher, Skeeter and (of course) the Dementor are mostly for "speeding". For this purpose a well balanced unsensored system will do.

Me for example: I use sensored sytems only in my crawlers...

Is there any disadvantage of using a sensored system (beside the eventually higher price)?
Higher price and an extra cable to deal with... not aware of any other disadvantages.
Another advantage is that the motors usually have temperature sensors as well, allowing the ESC to shut down when the motor is too hot, something that won't happen on sensorless systems.

Depends on the purpose: A sensored system goes definetly smoother than a non sensored. This could be important when you do racing and require absolute thottle control...

Higher price and an extra cable to deal with... not aware of any other disadvantages.
Another advantage is that the motors usually have temperature sensors as well, allowing the ESC to shut down when the motor is too hot, something that won't happen on sensorless systems.
Thanks, that would have been my other question - the temperature monitoring of the motor.

Last edited:
Back