Punisher New Ackerman plate 😁👍

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well another totally satisfying bash session. 3 packs through the punisher in the glorious early summer sunshine.
Tarmac BMX track jumps, and of course big sends off the end berm, with flat landings (from probably 3m high) into the grass, rounded of with a successful back flip.
Ackerman plate is still flat and true so I'll declare that a success😁

Well another totally satisfying bash session. 3 packs through the punisher in the glorious early summer sunshine.
Tarmac BMX track jumps, and of course big sends off the end berm, with flat landings (from probably 3m high) into the grass, rounded of with a successful back flip.
Ackerman plate is still flat and true so I'll declare that a success😁
Hey, so uh..how bout some steering arms from that super 3d printer!? LOL
So, the dual steering rack held..but the steering arm, not so much..tree strike, my fault!😳😯😖😂😂

20230410_200925.jpg

At least it's an easy (and quite cheap) fix. Did the Ackerman plate stay straight?
I believe it did, won't know for sure till I tear it down. The stock parts are around $10.. not bad, more work than cost but, that's the game we play right?
Also found this for the Sketer, also fits all 6s TC rigs apparently..just not sure I want to put aluminum in there? I mean something has to be sacrificial in the steering right?
https://www.gpmparts.com/team-coral...ring-assembly-3pc-set-gpm-ske048-p-28119.html

Screenshot_20230411-174238_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes, it needs a sacrificial 'fuse' in the steering, or at least something with 'bend and spring' to absorb the impacts.
The GPM parts look nice, but previous bits I've had (savagexs) have been quite soft, and the lack of elasticity (compared to the nylon versions) might not be great.

Yes, it needs a sacrificial 'fuse' in the steering, or at least something with 'bend and spring' to absorb the impacts.
The GPM parts look nice, but previous bits I've had (savagexs) have been quite soft, and the lack of elasticity (compared to the nylon versions) might not be great.
Think I'll stick to the composite. Maybe buy 2 sets..if I gotta pay shipping, might as well.

Steer plates look okay, just one steering arm broke. Guess my chassis is a bit tweaked based on the fack that my brand new steer plate has these "machined" markings on it..diff input cup too. Ah, it'll be alright, I'll shim the arms up a bit😉

20230411_203323.jpg

..and yes, I used pliers on the servo saver to adjust!!😂😂🤷‍♂️ Scratches don't slow it down, right!?😉🍻

Or "patina"..😎

Attachments

• 16812598406663838863806081619584.jpg
    16812598406663838863806081619584.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 16812600053952754372385127650624.jpg
    16812600053952754372385127650624.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 50
There's not much clearance between the diff input cup and the Ackerman plate, so a bit of 'polishing' is to be expected!
And yeah, I tore my fingernail adjusting the servo saver on the car, so I just use my leatherman now.

There's not much clearance between the diff input cup and the Ackerman plate, so a bit of 'polishing' is to be expected!
And yeah, I tore my fingernail adjusting the servo saver on the car, so I just use my leatherman now.
There's not much clearance at all - so when I replaced the stock servo saver spring (it's very weak) - I relieved the edges where it can foul the ackerman plate on both sides:
IMG_20220629_185103.jpg

And the new spring here - much, much better - but with space between the coils so it can still give. This is half the problem - the stock spring is so weak, people are clamping it right down. Then, when they clonk something - they're breaking/bending their ackerman plate or steering arm.

IMG_20220629_183525.jpg

The spring here has a much firmer rate and is made from music wire. To get the old spring to work - it has to be clamped like this:

IMG_20220606_141625.jpg

Conclusion - if you like steering that works, but also has 'springiness' to it - lose the stock servo saver spring for the one shown here. 😎

IMG_20220630_114757.jpg

Get this bit right and it doesn't just save your servo - but all the steering bits between the servo and the hub.

Back