Punisher New Ackerman plate 😁👍

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffwazz

Reaction score
Well, I'm very fortunate to have access to some really cool bits of technology.
May I present some seriously sexy Ti6-4 😍
This is straight off the build plate, so needs to go through the tumble de-burr, sharp corners radiused, but quite pleased with the build so far!
IMG-20230314-WA0000.jpeg

Right, I know you all love photos, so here's the next installment....
It's been cleaned up a bit and the interfaces ground flat, and any sharp edges removed.
I left the build lines alone, just for the aesthetics😍
It's now ready for a test fitting when I get home this evening.
20230315_133753.jpg

It's actually perfectly flat and dimensionally accurate in real life - I don't think the phone camera does it justice!

is that printed? how strong is it compared to machined?
I believe it's titanium? One thing I'd do differently though, add more material. The stock piece seams thinner than it needs to be IMO. Why not use as much as we can get away with? My philosophy anyway✌
This piece do look super sexy though!!👌

Right-ho.
We all love details, so I'll oblige. If there's anything else you want to know, just ask.
The new steering plate is 3D printed (Laser powder bed fusion), on an EOS machine, with an aerospace grade Ti 6-4 powder.
Ordinarily, components would be stress relieved, removed from the build plate, and HIPped to remove any internal porosity.
My bit is in the as-printed condition, but it's a good thin section, and prepping the interfaces hasn't revealed any porosity.
For mechanical properties:-
Ti 6-4 - 830 / 920MPa / 10% el.
7075 T651 - 460 / 540MPa / 6% el.

So roughly 2x the strength of the aluminium Ackerman plate, and certainly has more 'springiness'.
Weight is 11g (Al version is 7g).
And it fits nicely😁
20230315_192251.jpg

20230315_192215.jpg

I'll get this fitted in time for the weekend, see how it goes.

I believe it's titanium? One thing I'd do differently though, add more material. The stock piece seams thinner than it needs to be IMO. Why not use as much as we can get away with? My philosophy anyway✌
This piece do look super sexy though!!👌
There's options to make it sexier!
A further thought was to incorporate the top plate stiffener with the main plate, linking the two with a lattice. This should give a stiffer structure, and the hollow lattice would be😍
I've also considered changing the profile of the plate completely - make it straighter between the ball joints (after all it's only got the weird dog leg shape to clear the driveshaft cup and diff housing) - and add a cut out in the vertical plane to give the clearance instead.

There's options to make it sexier!
A further thought was to incorporate the top plate stiffener with the main plate, linking the two with a lattice. This should give a stiffer structure, and the hollow lattice would be😍
I've also considered changing the profile of the plate completely - make it straighter between the ball joints (after all it's only got the weird dog leg shape to clear the driveshaft cup and diff housing) - and add a cut out in the vertical plane to give the clearance instead.
Well, I had no idea such materials and tech existed!! That's really impressive! Please do keep us posted on how it holds up. I have no idea what the cost is or how cost effective it would be to sell? I bet you could indeed sell them though. Nice work👍😎

I've honestly no idea how much these would cost to produce. What typically happens is when there's a trial component build, the spare areas around the parts are filled with trinkets and sample parts, like pens, bottle openers, wedding rings (yes really!), and other home projects.

I've honestly no idea how much these would cost to produce. What typically happens is when there's a trial component build, the spare areas around the parts are filled with trinkets and sample parts, like pens, bottle openers, wedding rings (yes really!), and other home projects.

20230316_154459.jpg

I'll bash my Punisher about and see how it holds up - we seen to have constant rain in the UK, the truck might be waterproof, but I'm not!

Last edited:
I recently replaced my xtr rack with the TC 7075 and added the stiffener plate. Isn't stock 7075? Looks identical to the one I bought..I'm hoping it will suffice. Strangly, out of the 6 1/8 scale rigs in my current lineup, I've only bent the xtr rack thus far. I straightened it the first time, then guess what happened..snap!🤷‍♂️🤔🤣🤣
It did last a while before breaking though.

I recently replaced my xtr rack with the TC 7075 and added the stiffener plate. Isn't stock 7075? Looks identical to the one I bought..I'm hoping it will suffice.
From what I gather, the newer Corally vehicles come with the 7075 Ackerman plates. I believe the vehicles manufactured earlier came with 6061 Ackerman plates.

The dual steering stiffener is a great addition: it makes the whole steering bell crank system a lot stronger. I have one in my Radix6, and I have one yet to be installed in my Muraco. I don't jump my vehicles much, so I'm waiting for the next maintenance to the front end of the Muraco to install it.

From what I gather, the newer Corally vehicles come with the 7075 Ackerman plates. I believe the vehicles manufactured earlier came with 6061 Ackerman plates.

The dual steering stiffener is a great addition: it makes the whole steering bell crank system a lot stronger. I have one in my Radix6, and I have one yet to be installed in my Muraco. I don't jump my vehicles much, so I'm waiting for the next maintenance to the front end of the Muraco to install it.
I don't generally bash with my xtr either, mostly running on track. The first bend was either an awkward landing or immovable object, not sure. The TC rigs handle exceptionally well for bashers in my opinion, I try to be somewhat conservative with mine. I have other brands that get the "rough" treatment.. Arrma, TRX and Redcat. They don't handle quite as well so I feel they're better suited to be bashed. 🤷‍♂️😁

I bent the original plate by lawn-darting off a BMX track berm, but that didn't have the extra stiffener plate on the top.
I've since fitted the 7075 (as printed on the bag label) Ackerman and stiffener plates, and no problems so far with similar nose heavy landings.
The printed plate probably won't need the extra stiffener, based on the mechanical properties of the Ti, but it's blue-loctited in place now and ready to test😁

Well, testing completed😁
Spent about an hour jumping about on the grassy tumps and bombholes in the local woods.
I guess I'll say it was a complete success - I wasn't babying the truck, but equally I didn't have any real "oooooft" nose landings.
It'll be staying fitted for some proper BMX track bashing. See how it does longer term and whether the added stiffness and strength will transfer failure elsewhere in the steering system.

Well, testing completed😁
Spent about an hour jumping about on the grassy tumps and bombholes in the local woods.
I guess I'll say it was a complete success - I wasn't babying the truck, but equally I didn't have any real "oooooft" nose landings.
It'll be staying fitted for some proper BMX track bashing. See how it does longer term and whether the added stiffness and strength will transfer failure elsewhere in the steering system.
Glad to hear👍 It'll likely be steer links that give up first, they're a bit brittle I find. Some, including myself have fitted 5mm turnbuckles in place of the factory 4mm. Not sure if it's really a good idea or not though. As you stated, the break will likely just be directed to another part.
I ran out of 4mm links but had some 5mm that were the correct length, so I put one on..
Still rockin a 4mm on the other side of my xtr for now.🤷‍♂️🤣

I've kept the solid steering links, the standard kit ones for the Punisher, as they feel a bit more springy than the xtr versions.
A bit of springiness is always good on a basher!
You mean the plastic ones? I've heard some say they're better. I know I don't really need to adjust toe on a basher..unless I've bent something. If the plastic holds up, I'm all for it.

Back