Kronos XTR 2022 build by DaniC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got a chance to take my XTR out today, ran it hard for the entire pack and motor temperatures stayed at around 50-55°C so that heatsink and dual fans works great! I don't think I'll need the 12T pinion.

Also did a speed test and top speed is 65kph on 4S.

I did a mod on the servo saver, I thought there stock spring is too soft. For details on that have a look at this thread.

I got the heatsink. It's really nice and I'm sure it'll do a great job at keeping the motor cool. But I'm slightly disappointed with the colour, it's a weird shade of red and doesn't match the red TC uses in the anodised metals. Yes I know, it's only a basher and all that, but I'm a sucker for colour matching.
So, I might have already ordered another one of these in black.... and I might or might not change it later on.
It also comes with plastic 16000rpm fans, they're ok but when they break I plan to replace them with aluminium 26000rpm ones.

View attachment 2497
View attachment 2498
View attachment 2499

For cable management I just plan to drill small holes on the side of the plastic guards and tie the cables with zip ties. Maybe...
Can you provide a link to aluminum fans?

I got the heatsink. It's really nice and I'm sure it'll do a great job at keeping the motor cool. But I'm slightly disappointed with the colour, it's a weird shade of red and doesn't match the red TC uses in the anodised metals. Yes I know, it's only a basher and all that, but I'm a sucker for colour matching.
So, I might have already ordered another one of these in black.... and I might or might not change it later on.
It also comes with plastic 16000rpm fans, they're ok but when they break I plan to replace them with aluminium 26000rpm ones.

View attachment 2497
View attachment 2498
View attachment 2499

For cable management I just plan to drill small holes on the side of the plastic guards and tie the cables with zip ties. Maybe...
If you have a link to the aluminum fans, can you please post it? Thanks

Sure! These are the ones I'm planning to buy: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002791484755.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.9fd638dahbj7qZ&mp=1

But you could also get an NHX heatsink which comes with aluminium fans as well, check out Go Nitro Hobbies store on ebay: https://www.ebay.ie/str/gonitrohobbies/Accessories/_i.html?store_cat=12017131
Thanks Dani. I like the NHX heat sink you posted, I have a couple of questions:

1) How do you mount it to the motor so that it stays in place?

2) I saw you put 2mm spacers in another post, when you do this, do you need new screws that are longer?

3) What's the power source for the heat sink motors?

Brett

1659855579853.jpeg

Thanks Dani. I like the NHX heat sink you posted, I have a couple of questions:

1) How do you mount it to the motor so that it stays in place?

2) I saw you put 2mm spacers in another post, when you do this, do you need new screws that are longer?

3) What's the power source for the heat sink motors?

Brett
Yes the NHX ones are very good. I have one of those on a Hobbywing Max8 combo motor on my Traxxas MAXX.

You mount the heatsink by snapping it on, you put it on top and push down hard until it snaps on.

Yes the spacers are a must otherwise debris get lodged and kills the fan. You need 16 spacers, 2 on each screw, one under the fan and the other one under the fan protector. You need 8 new longer screws, I used M2.5 x 20mm Hex Socket Head ones.

I power them from the receiver, comes with a Y connector. You can run them at 6V or 7.4V of your other electronics support that.

Yes the NHX ones are very good. I have one of those on a Hobbywing Max8 combo motor on my Traxxas MAXX.

You mount the heatsink by snapping it on, you put it on top and push down hard until it snaps on.

Yes the spacers are a must otherwise debris get lodged and kills the fan. You need 16 spacers, 2 on each screw, one under the fan and the other one under the fan protector. You need 8 new longer screws, I used M2.5 x 20mm Hex Socket Head ones.

I power them from the receiver, comes with a Y connector. You can run them at 6V or 7.4V of your other electronics support that.

I ordered the NHX version, with dual fans, and the quality is very good. I did your mod with the 2mm spacers and it's a great idea. I did a run before putting the spacers on, and as you said, a couple blades of grass were under the shield, so adding the spacers will help a lot. It plugs into an extra channel on my receiver and keeps the engine cool. I actually like the sound of the high-speed fans.

Question, I have the Torox 185 ESC, which already has a fan. I want to keep the ESC cooler, even the battery cooler. Are there any fans made that would be a mod for the ESC or for batteries?

Last edited:
I ordered the NHX version, with dual fans, and the quality is very good. I did your mod with the 2mm spacers and it's a great idea. I did a run before putting the spacers on, and as you said, a couple blades of grass were under the shield, so adding the spacers will help a lot. It plugs into an extra channel on my receiver and keeps the engine cool. I actually like the sound of the high-speed fans.

Question, I have the Torox 185 ESC, which already has a fan. I want to keep the ESC cooler, even the battery cooler. Are there any fans made that would be a mod for the ESC or for batteries?
Yoy could try for example the Team Corally 30mm fan, it´s a 28000rpm fan. I also use it on my Radix6, my Sketer and my Kronos xtr. Also you can take one from Ali or Amazon.

Back