Kagama First RC in 30 Years - A Few Questions for My Incoming Kagama XP Roller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperGabbiee

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am so excited about this. I have been out of the hobby for more than 30 years. On a whim, I decided to enter a new local hobby store and was completely blown away by everything. They asked me if I like "bashing" and I was like, I only raced on streets in my neighborhood. For the record, my last car was a Tamiya Grasshopper. My dream car back then was an RC10.

After spending the last few weeks watching countless YouTube videos and reading forums, I have decided on the Kagama. I would like to get the roller version to provide quality time to re-educate myself on setting up the electronics for it. I plan on only running 4S until I learn the car and I feel comfortable with controlling it.

After reading many threads here, will the following parts fit in the roller with no frame modifications? I don't plan on going higher than 13T on the pinion for now. Of note, I do live in WA so trying to find parts that are somewhat water resistant for the colder months.

1) ESC - Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 8s or Hobbywing XR8 PRO G3
2) Motor - Hobby Rocket Supersonic 4282 1780KV or 2250KV or TP 4050 1950 KV
3) Servo - Perfect Pass Monster 56KG

Are there any other electronics you would recommend?

I could also get the RTR version and swap out the servo but I do plan on getting a new transmitter (Futaba, Sanwa or Radiolink) as eventually I will snag the Asuga XLR.

Thank you again for your help!

Best,
SuperGabbiee

Last edited:
Welcome back!! Grasshopper eh? Yeah, things have changed a bit.. LOL. The Kagama is a fine choice. I have no experience with Castle, but most any 6s combo will fit. You should be fine on motor up to 42x82mm. Congrats and enjoy!!👍

Welcome aboard! 👍

I bought my first electric rig in years with the Kronos XTR 21. It's an excellent rig, in spite of some scathingly poor receptions. Corally cars are nice to drive and handle better than typical bashers.

IMG_20211211_110631.jpg

The Kuron 825 and Torox ESC are surprisingly potent. Rated at 3000watts and 2050KV, they powered my XTR to 64mph on the 13t pinion. A very potent combo and nothing like typical RTR electronics. The motor runs hot and requires dual fans.

IMG_20220509_174932.jpg

I recently received a MMX 6S 8a BEC with 1515 2200kv motor (sensored) and it's smooth and powerful. I installed it into an Sworkz S35 T2E and on the 15t pinion, it maxed out at 52mph - but it blazed it's way to 50mph in 2.9secs. So yeah - the smooth, sensored Castle systems are noticeably smoother at low speeds compared to sensorless motors. But in a basher - it's not really essential.
PXL_20240218_165854893.jpg

Recently I've been running a Surpass Rocket 4292 1780kv. It's torquey and runs much cooler than the Kuron 825. It can pull much higher gearing without getting warm - 18t pinion was getting the XTR around at 62mph, but this was during 0°C temps.

PXL_20231117_124350467.jpg

PXL_20231106_162825284.MP.jpg

It's rated at 4200watts.
I'm fairly sure the 4292 should fit the Kagama. 👍
PXL_20230810_184831870.jpg

Keep us posted with what you choose to run with! 😎👍

Oh, and yes, the mighty RC10 was my first hobby grade rc at 15 years old in the mid eighties.. Fond memories!!
I would agree with @Horatio. The rtr Kagama is great. While the radio and servo are mediocre, the motor/esc combo are stellar! Best in class for rtr.

Hi all,

I am so excited about this. I have been out of the hobby for more than 30 years. On a whim, I decided to enter a new local hobby store and was completely blown away by everything. They asked me if I like "bashing" and I was like, I only raced on streets in my neighborhood. For the record, my last car was a Tamiya Grasshopper. My dream car back then was an RC10.

After spending the last few weeks watching countless YouTube videos and reading forums, I have decided on the Kagama. I would like to get the roller version to provide quality time to re-educate myself on setting up the electronics for it. I plan on only running 4S until I learn the car and I feel comfortable with controlling it.

After reading many threads here, will the following parts fit in the roller with no frame modifications? I don't plan on going higher than 13T on the pinion for now. Of note, I do live in WA so trying to find parts that are somewhat water resistant for the colder months.

1) ESC - Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 8s or Hobbywing XR8 PRO G3
2) Motor - Hobby Rocket Supersonic 4282 1780KV or 2250KV or TP 4050 1950 KV
3) Servo - Perfect Pass Monster 56KG

Are there any other electronics you would recommend?

I could also get the RTR version and swap out the servo but I do plan on getting a new transmitter (Futaba, Sanwa or Radiolink) as eventually I will snag the Asuga XLR.

Thank you again for your help!

Best,
SuperGabbiee
Welcome! I hope you like your Kagama as much as I’ve enjoyed mine! Hours and hours of fun and madness!

Just a nod for RTR. I think the Kuron 825 and the Torox is pretty tough to beat for the price included in the RTR. The trans/rec. are what they are and the stock servo I can’t comment on, (otherwise according to Jeff, mine will instantly fail).🤐

However, if you are only going to swap the servo, I say drive it until it fails, then upgrade it. You can always swap out anything you want at a later date.
The RTR is like 560 with the coupon at RCHE and imo, that’s a hell of a lot for 560 but I don’t want to spend your money either.

Anyway, welcome! 🙏

Welcome! I hope you like your Kagama as much as I’ve enjoyed mine! Hours and hours of fun and madness!

Just a nod for RTR. I think the Kuron 825 and the Torox is pretty tough to beat for the price included in the RTR. The trans/rec. are what they are and the stock servo I can’t comment on, (otherwise according to Jeff, mine will instantly fail).🤐

However, if you are only going to swap the servo, I say drive it until it fails, then upgrade it. You can always swap out anything you want at a later date.
The RTR is like 560 with the coupon at RCHE and imo, that’s a hell of a lot for 560 but I don’t want to spend your money either.

Anyway, welcome! 🙏
Yes, apparently if we comment about the stock servo - our own servos will immediately self destruct.

Apparently, it's an actual thing. 🤣😝

Dude, that’s awesome!😍😍😍
Yes, she's a beauty. 1/10th Scale Baja Bug (Almost) suitable for radio control.

That's why it's legendary. 🤩

I really quite fancy a Kyosho Turbo Scorpion, but my wife will literally have a fit. 😝

Yes, apparently if we comment about the stock servo - our own servos will immediately self destruct.

Apparently, it's an actual thing. 🤣😝
I read that somewhere..😜👊
Luckily for me, I shed my desires for TC servos a couple years back.. I tried to like them, they just wouldn't like me back.🤷‍♂️
For the record I'm speaking of TC's rtr servo, not the expensive ones. I hear they're better.

I read that somewhere..😜👊
Luckily for me, I shed my desires for TC servos a couple years back.. I tried to like them, they just wouldn't like me back.🤷‍♂️
For the record I'm speaking of TC's rtr servo, not the expensive ones. I hear they're better.
I don't tend to run budget servos, period.

The cost of servos has come down and performance has gone way beyond what we're ever really going to need.

So I'm happy with Proteks on stuff that might see a race track, or AGF's when I'm not sure.

That being said, I swear down the AGF's (81BHMW) are the smoothest servo ever. So quiet. 🤩

You all are awesome! Fantastic feedback and you saved some money (although I cancelled a future NVIDIA 4090 for an RC car, lol).

I will snag the RTR for now and get dual fans for the Kuron 825. Maybe replace the servo if it breaks but keep it stock sans new tires/wheels (looking at the Terrain Crushers or Backflip LPs).

Are any of the 7075 aluminum upgrades needed for now or is the Kagama pretty sturdy? Shock tower, body, gear box, diff cast, etc.?

Horatio, thank you for the motor recommendations. I want that for my future Asuga XLR and/or a dedicated road car. I have no idea what a Sworkz S35 T2E is but now you have me excited for that car. This hobby is going to be insanely addicting.

I am hoping it stops raining so I can do my first bash within a few weeks.

Thank you all again!

You all are awesome! Awesome feedback and you saved some money (although I cancelled a future NVIDIA 4090 for an RC car, lol).

I will snag the RTR for now and get dual fans for the Kuron 825. Maybe replace the servo if it breaks but keep it stock sans new tires/wheels (looking at the Terrain Crushers or Backflip LPs).

Are any of the 7075 aluminum upgrades needed for now or is the Kagama pretty sturdy? Shock tower, body, gear box, diff cast, etc.?

Horatio, thank you for the motor recommendations. I want that for my future Asuga XLR and/or a dedicated road car. I have no idea what a Sworkz S35 T2E is but now you have me excited for that car. This hobby is going to be insanely addicting.

Thank you all again!
Dude - you're most welcome! The RC car bug bites really hard! 💪😎

People here love doing build threads! And I love reading them, rather than BookFace. 😝

I've heard the Kagama is a tank. Shiny 7075 parts are really nice (Corally make lovely CNC machined stuff) but it's not essential. It is however - highly desirable. 🤣

PXL_20240218_170051692.jpg

I added fans, swapped the servo when the stock servo died, I can’t remember if it came with the aluminum servo horn or if I swapped that. I also changed out my springs to harder springs. Other than that I switch up the tires all the time but that’s just me.

IMG_3226.jpeg

I added fans, swapped the servo when the stock servo died, I can’t remember if it came with the aluminum servo horn or if I swapped that. I also changed out my springs to harder springs. Other than that I switch up the tires all the time but that’s just me.

View attachment 5446
Yeah - a 4292 would fit that no problem. 🤩 I use the stock tyres on grass. They balloon like hell, but they grip well enough to get around. On tarmac - things get crazy without belted tyres.

I think Corally supplied my XTR with a red Alloy horn. No idea what the spline count was, so it went in with my spares.

The firmer springs are a nice upgrade for people who like their big air.

I guess they'll be a good upgrade for speed runs too - run the car lower and firmer.

You all are awesome! Fantastic feedback and you saved some money (although I cancelled a future NVIDIA 4090 for an RC car, lol).

Thank you all again!
I’ve run the terrain crushers, bf lp’s and the bf mt’s on my Kagama. For just ripping around, I love the sweeps, can’t beat them imo. On 4S, the lp’s were fine but they didn’t like 6S much. The mt’s were my sweet spot for 6S bashing, off-road and air. Again just my 2 cents.

IMG_3227.jpeg

Mt’s currently on the Kagama.

IMG_3228.jpeg

Yeah - a 4292 would fit that no problem. 🤩 I use the stock tyres on grass. They balloon like hell, but they grip well enough to get around. On tarmac - things get crazy without belted tyres.

I think Corally supplied my XTR with a red Alloy horn. No idea what the spline count was, so it went in with my spares.

I guess they'll be a good upgrade for speed runs too - run the car lower and firmer.
Yep, all kinds of room!

Last edited:
Very good choice to get the RTR.
The stock esc and motor will push the truck to beyond 50mph, so plenty quick enough, and handling is also surprisingly good!
The trucks are brilliant on BMX tracks, forest tracks, open areas with grass ramps.
The RTR radio kit and servo lasted me for 12 months, right up until the point I stupidly said I hadn't had any problems with them 😉
As for upgrades - the Kagama is kitted out with all the bits I've needed to upgrade on my Punisher. It really is a very good RTR Truck out of the box 😁

I’ve run the terrain crushers, bf lp’s and the bf mt’s on my Kagama. For just ripping around, I love the sweeps, can’t beat them imo. On 4S, the lp’s were fine but they didn’t like 6S much. The mt’s were my sweet spot for 6S bashing, off-road and air. Again just my 2 cents.

View attachment 5447

Mt’s currently on the Kagama.

View attachment 5448

Yep, all kinds of room!
Such great advice for tires. Really stupid question, but how do you power the fans? What do they plug into? Thanks!

I say this with caution because I’m not an expert, but can do this a few ways. If your fans a low enough draw to run off if the receiver then utilize the open channel or try a splitter. I’ve seen people connect them off the esc as well but receivers are way cheaper than esc’s.

I say this with caution because I’m not an expert, but can do this a few ways. If your fans a low enough draw to run off if the receiver then utilize the open channel or try a splitter. I’ve seen people connect them off the esc as well but receivers are way cheaper than esc’s.
Ohh, and as Horatio always says, Fans are great but they necessitate protection. 🥽🦺

https://www.dustymotors.com/

Just to help clarify, the stock red alu servo horns on the Python, Muraco, Kronos XP and Shogun are 25T spline count. I'm also in agreement that a 4292 would fit with no issues. I've ran a 4092, 4282 and a 4292 with no fitment issues, although that's in a Muraco. Edited: 4292 will not fit without modifications

Welcome, SG! Looks like you've got your hands on a rather capable piece of kit. I was really hoping the Kagama was going to be a 1/5 offering, but I don't mind it being a 1/8. I probably won't be getting one anytime soon, either. Self-preservation dictates that necessity. 😬

Ohh, and as Horatio always says, Fans are great but they necessitate protection. 🥽🦺

https://www.dustymotors.com/

I've always powered my fans off of an open channel in my Rx. Most of the modern Rx's can handle up to 9 or 10 volts, but if in doubt, take the time to research. Sure beats a runaway or a toasted Rx. I also run a splitter, that way I can power a fan, two fans or a fan and a transponder.

Last edited:

Thank you all again!
Run it and upgrade when you break something. And welcome back to the hobby 🤑

Back