Diff syrup.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoon

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos XTR
  2. Radix
  3. Sketer
Can anyone tell me why some people put in very thick diff syrup in the middle diff?
Seen some videos on yt where they put in 500k or even a million. I know it has to do with the distribution of power to the front and make a kind of difflock with the thick syrup but 500k or more makes a lot more stress inside the diff, will the planetary gears even turn with those syrups?

Can anyone tell me why some people put in very thick diff syrup in the middle diff?
Seen some videos on yt where they put in 500k or even a million. I know it has to do with the distribution of power to the front and make a kind of difflock with the thick syrup but 500k or more makes a lot more stress inside the diff, will the planetary gears even turn with those syrups?
Thicker oil acts like a limited slip differential and prevents the tires with no traction from spinning like crazy while tires with traction slow down.

With lightweight center differential oil; when you pull a wheelie the front tires spin super fast but the car slows down. Thicker diff oil keeps power going to the rear tires even when the front are in the air.

However, if you are on the throttle and land on one set of wheels the differential can't send power to the wheels in the air. This situation sends "shock loads" through the drivetrain.

Even with silicone ear plugs in the differential the gears still turn a bit but not very much.

Super thick differential oil is great for bashing but be careful not to land under throttle.

Some cars can't take thick differential oil because the drivetrain is not strong enough but Team Corally cars can take it. Still, get off the throttle before you land as that'll break anything if you keep doing it

They will turn just fine. It can put more stress on a sun gear if one side has more pressure against it and it is harder to spin the other side of the diff.

BUT - lighter diff fluid also spins the internals much more, so can introduce much more heat and wear.

Kind of a balance if you ask me.

FYI - I use 1mil in all of my rigs center diffs. My Tekno, Sketer, OC6s and Kraton 6s. Have no issues. I love wheelies.

Thank you, now i know why. I cleaned my diffs and put in the syrup like stated in the manual of my Radix6. But maybe in the future I will try some thicker syrup.

1646315495035.png

Thicker oil acts like a limited slip differential and prevents the tires with no traction from spinning like crazy while tires with traction slow down.

With lightweight center differential oil; when you pull a wheelie the front tires spin super fast but the car slows down. Thicker diff oil keeps power going to the rear tires even when the front are in the air.

However, if you are on the throttle and land on one set of wheels the differential can't send power to the wheels in the air. This situation sends "shock loads" through the drivetrain.

Even with silicone ear plugs in the differential the gears still turn a bit but not very much.

Super thick differential oil is great for bashing but be careful not to land under throttle.

Some cars can't take thick differential oil because the drivetrain is not strong enough but Team Corally cars can take it. Still, get off the throttle before you land as that'll break anything if you keep doing it
Well said..

I'd like to add that if a lowly TRX diff can survive on 2 million weight "syrup", a TC diff should be good to what, 1 Billion weight!!? HaHa:p:ROFLMAO:;)

Gonna order diff oil. Any advise? Drive on tarmac (road tires), mud and i wanna learn how to jump but not to the moon 😉 Sketer is all stock still.

yityi
Thank you, now i know why. I cleaned my diffs and put in the syrup like stated in the manual of my Radix6. But maybe in the future I will try some thicker syrup.
This is the only way to find out how to set up the car for YOUR driving style.

Gonna order diff oil. Any advise? Drive on tarmac (road tires), mud and i wanna learn how to jump but not to the moon 😉 Sketer is all stock still.
Tarmac wants thinner oil but mudding requires much thicker oil, sorry but there is no oil that's good for both.

yityi

This is the only way to find out how to set up the car for YOUR driving style.

Tarmac wants thinner oil but mudding requires much thicker oil, sorry but there is no oil that's good for both.
Gonna Stay in the middle then. Around stock oil. Thanks

On my '21 xtr, I haven't touched any of the diffs..so, for all I know they might have "candy that makes you happy" in them!?:ROFLMAO:

But seriously, I was satisfied (on 4s)until I recently ran it on 6s for the first time..uh, yeah, it def needs something thicker. Thought it was gonna blow the backflip lp's off the front!! I gots some work to do!:unsure:

On my '21 xtr, I haven't touched any of the diffs..so, for all I know they might have "candy that makes you happy" in them!?:ROFLMAO:

But seriously, I was satisfied (on 4s)until I recently ran it on 6s for the first time..uh, yeah, it def needs something thicker. Thought it was gonna blow the backflip lp's off the front!! I gots some work to do!:unsure:
You need to look at them. Two of my Sketer diffs were empty from factory.

You need to look at them. Two of my Sketer diffs were empty from factory.
Ain't that what the warranty is for?..kidding:p

I need to stock up on syrup.. currently, I only have 7k,10k,100k..

Gonna have to find me some 1 mil. My highest is only 100k.
All 3 of my diffs had grease in em. Working on the front and rear right now.

Gonna have to find me some 1 mil. My highest is only 100k.
All 3 of my diffs had grease in em. Working on the front and rear right now.
Just got TA 1 mill of amazon, only $12 and a 2 week turn around...

Just got TA 1 mill of amazon, only $12 and a 2 week turn around...
2 weeks!? Ugh.. I haven't bought any syrup in like 10 years..does this stuff have a shelf life?

Back