Muraco Common issues/problems and plus sides with the TC 1/8 Truggies (Muraco, Shogun, Kronos)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the search, but didn't really find anything, so I figured I'd make myself useful while I was here. I'll be posting up my common problems with the 1/8 truggy line (Muraco, Shogun, Kronos) in the hopes of helping others make educated decisions about purchasing one. It is my hope that the others here will also chime in with their experiences so as to give a more complete picture.

THIS IS BY NO MEANS A BASH ON TC. I absolutely love my truggies.

It's just that when researching prior to getting my Muraco, literature seemed to be non-existent about the good and the bad on the platform. If there's any place that should have that info, it should be the Corally forum.

As a disclaimer, your mileage may vary depending on your style of usage. I've never bashed my truggies; they've always been ran on a track. Granted, the track is kinda rough with ruts and rocks, but I've never sent them 20ft in the air or ran them in a skate park. Also, I've only ran my truggies on 4S. Maybe a 6S pass here or there, but nothing prolonged. As I stated, these are my observations based on my experiences, so take the knowledge for whatever worth it is to you.

That being said, lets start with pros and cons.

PROS:

- stout platform
- sturdy parts (minor niggles)
- excellent parts availability
- good prices on parts
- very tuneable for a supposed "basher". Defnitely would make a decent racer at the club level with a good driver. Lighten the weight and add more tuning and you'd have a track threat for sure.
- very decent driving characteristics
- diffs seem to be pretty sorted
- quick access diffs (F,C,R)
- Kuron 825 motor is pretty peppy
- very versatile (can bash or be competitive for entry-level racing)
- competitive pricing for RTR kits
- warranty and customer service appear to be top-notch

CONS:

- hingepin holes on arms tend to oval out
- pillowballs tend to pop (although to be fair, this is an expected occurence with pillowbals); supposedly reduced events with the newer version hubs
- shocks can be midrange in performance
- tends to be on the heavier side
- steering bar bushings can get worn, producing slop
- moisture dust/dirt build up on hingepins which leads to reduced arm mobility
- standard spring steel diff cups can exhibit notching, where the pins on the dogbone/driveshaft can wear a notch in the cup
- regular suspension arm mounts (red color) are prone to bending either forward or back and sometimes up with too many chassis slap landings

In summary, the cons can be rectified with aftermarket parts; either through TC or other aftermarket vendors. My experiences with the TC truggies has been mostly positive, with only slight issues that needed to be sorted out. As mentioned earlier, my experiences have been using the truggies in a racing environment, not 20 foot launches or skatepark bashing. In that context, most of what I experienced was expected wear and tear. All three diffs have performed admirably, without the need to shim anything straight out of the box (as experienced by other brands, although I say this with no ill-will or discontent). The pros are a pleasant surprise for a basher. I've tuned mine to be more performance oriented in a track setting and the truggies have surprised more than one spectator.

Again, your mileage my vary, but I have been pleased with my experience. It is my hope that other users will add their own objective information based on their real-world experiences so that we can help others looking to learn more about Team Corally and possibly assisting them in making a decision to join us.

And who knows? Maybe TC will also see this and make adjustments to their product to solve the more easily rectifiable issues.
Nice post! I have a Muraco and some other Corally cars and like you I'm not a jumper at all preferring to set up a track when I'm out with my mates and we race around drifting etc. I only use 4S as well as 6S is just too hectic .. When I got my Muraco the hobby shop owner said it's an awesome truggy and I told him we race around and don't jump and he goes " good don't jump it it's an awesome handling truggy and isn't meant for that.. "
One thing I did was replace the stock wheels/tyres and put on Louise Truggy pinned racing tyres and my God what a difference they made ( I seen POPALONG RC on YT who did it to their Muraco so I did the same) It's so good racing around hanging on to a line wher I point it I love it.

Only issues I see is the dog bone pins wearing the outdrive cups. Corally have given me part numbers so I can convert all the outdrives to the new spring steel. Last thing is I purchased mine February 23 and I didn't get the tower to tower brace like some others mentioned here..

Cheers,

Mark

Very nice! Yes, I'll agree with the hobby shop owner; it is a rather nice handling truggy. If your Muraco has fixed links, wait until you put adjustable ones for steering and camber...it's going to handle even better. Mine has AKA tires on it, and it's doing rather well on the track.

And yes, my drive cups do have some notching. Interestingly enough, there's nothing on the rear and front diffs; only the cups on center diff are worn.

Thanks mate! I'll have to check to see if my notching is only on the centre diff like yours... Thanks for the recommendation on adjustable links I'll keep that in mind for sure..
When we go driving I'll always take a few cars and if I drive say my EXB kraton first with the Max 8 combo then go to the Muraco it's incredible how I can hug the corner under throttle with bugger all understeer or wash out of the front where the Kraton will push hard with the lsd diffs.. The Kraton is great to race around too but I drive it on the throttle or a quick dab of the brakes to rotate it then power out.. Muraco is completely different as you know.. Great fun either way! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure... Cheers, Mark

All drive cups will get notched eventually, just grab a set of the HD Swiss spring steel ones and replace them when they get (or before they get) like this 😬
IMG_20230617_162939_776.jpg

Thanks mate! I'll have to check to see if my notching is only on the centre diff like yours... Thanks for the recommendation on adjustable links I'll keep that in mind for sure..
When we go driving I'll always take a few cars and if I drive say my EXB kraton first with the Max 8 combo then go to the Muraco it's incredible how I can hug the corner under throttle with bugger all understeer or wash out of the front where the Kraton will push hard with the lsd diffs.. The Kraton is great to race around too but I drive it on the throttle or a quick dab of the brakes to rotate it then power out.. Muraco is completely different as you know.. Great fun either way! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure... Cheers, Mark

You're welcome! The adjustable links really made a difference in the handling. For mine I went 3 degrees camber all around and 3 degrees toe out in the front. She was absolutely hugging the turns. Not that I recommend you duplicate my setup; each person will have their own preferences.

Interesting how you mention the LSD diffs on the Kraton. We have a Kraton that comes out every now and again, and you can tell there's potential in her; I'm betting that if he were to tune his diffs, his performance would definitely be better. I'd venture a guess that if you run regular diffs in your Kraton and tune it with the proper weight diff fluid, you'd see a difference in your handling characteristics.

Speaking of handling characteristics, I'd also venture a guess that the geometry is quite different from the Kraton and the Muraco. The Kraton seems to sit kind of high, whereas the Muraco is a little more low-slung. I'm sure that makes a difference. Oddly enough, I was thinking about getting a Talion when I first started out...but I came across the Corally line and the rest is history. 😁

All drive cups will get notched eventually, just grab a set of the HD Swiss spring steel ones and replace them when they get (or before they get) like this 😬
View attachment 5208

Hrmm...my center cups look almost exactly like that. The only difference is my notch isn't as deep. I have the Swiss steel replacements, but I figured I'd wait until my cups were absolutely used up. Now that I'm working on my son's Kronos, I think I'll take his stock cups for my spares and I'll put the Swiss on his. I'll also grab some of those beefcake hingepin/suspension arm mounts and put it on his as well. Finish it off with some alu steering knuckles and alu rear hubs and I think he'll have a tank.

Of course, my poor Shogun will have to survive his learning curve though. :oops:🤞😆

Last edited:
My Corally experience is limited to 1 6S Kronos XTR 21.

I hadn't entertained the notion of buying a pre-assembled roller - but Razor's YT videos sold it.

It's been very good to be fair. It does not have the tower to tower brace. I don't crash it over and over. In fact, the worst it has to deal with is ripping around a paddock, jumping natural mounds and high-speed runs on a 1/2 mile stretch of tarmac.

Nothing has broken. The rear wing has a crack, the rear wing mount is quite unforgiving and feels brittle. Yet - it lives. 🤣

Arms and hubs are all still intact, chassis is straight, braces are good.

Diffs have been serviced and the rig has been checked for loose bolts etc.

The black output drives from the diffs are quite soft and wear progressively - especially the centre diff. If you look at the angle of the centre drive line - it's easy to see the relatively sub-optimal angles which cause the wear.

Race truggies have near perfect straight line centre drive shaft angles, which are more efficient and reduce wear rate.

The hardened outputs are a must once the black ones are notched.
PXL_20230805_162726368.jpg

They have a very similar look to Hudy spring steel.

Pinions are a pain. Sooner or later, they backup onto the motor mount and grind away, which is horrific. 😱

KnowAir convinced me to use Tekno pinions with M5 grub screws. It's his fault that I now only want to use them, because they are about £14 a pinion - but they work. 😎👍 Sound advice Vs the inconvenience of damaged motor mounts.

PXL_20231128_134536839.jpg

IMG_20230621_195352.jpg

Front arms get slop in them fore/aft. Mine are now shimmed up to prevent this, otherwise have wibbly wobbly caster.
IMG_20230622_160659.jpg

Overall condition of output drives is at the rear is good, with a slight groove developing - but not unacceptable. (Yes - I have a British made, adjustable spanner from the late 50's in my RC tool kit! It's nearly 70 years old and made from Sheffield steel)
IMG_20230731_140748_edit_213357485511714.jpg

The upgrade HD hubs are waiting in the wings. If the original hubs break. A fellow forum member donated their code. 🫡I ordered them from TC - but the postage was the same price as the parts. 💩🥴

Overall, my Kronos XTR has been a blast and it's got me back into electric RC again. 🤩 It's definitely up there in my lifetime top 5 RC's and I've built and raced many over the years since 81. 👍

You're welcome! The adjustable links really made a difference in the handling. For mine I went 3 degrees camber all around and 3 degrees toe out in the front. She was absolutely hugging the turns. Not that I recommend you duplicate my setup; each person will have their own preferences.

Interesting how you mention the LSD diffs on the Kraton. We have a Kraton that comes out every now and again, and you can tell there's potential in her; I'm betting that if he were to tune his diffs, his performance would definitely be better. I'd venture a guess that if you run regular diffs in your Kraton and tune it with the proper weight diff fluid, you'd see a difference in your handling characteristics.

Speaking of handling characteristics, I'd also venture a guess that the geometry is quite different from the Kraton and the Muraco. The Kraton seems to sit kind of high, whereas the Muraco is a little more low-slung. I'm sure that makes a difference. Oddly enough, I was thinking about getting a Talion when I first started out...but I came across the Corally line and the rest is history. 😁

Hrmm...my center cups look almost exactly like that. The only difference is my notch isn't as deep. I have the Swiss steel replacements, but I figured I'd wait until my cups were absolutely used up. Now that I'm working on my son's Kronos, I think I'll take his stock cups for my spares and I'll put the Swiss on his. I'll also grab some of those beefcake hingepin/suspension arm mounts and put it on his as well. Finish it off with some alu steering knuckles and alu rear hubs and I think he'll have a tank.

Of course, my poor Shogun will have to survive his learning curve though. :oops:🤞😆
Hi mate,
Thanks for that reply, I totally agree with you re the Kraton. I think with standard diffs you could easily tune them like every other RC and that push understeer could be dialled out. Incredible you mention the Talion and then finding Corally that is without a lie exactly what happened to me! 😄 I was keen as to get a Talion but when I really started looking at the Muraco then watched the Popalong RC guys on YouTube racing theirs around and their compliments of it PLUS the cost compared to the Talion it was a no brainier.. With the Racing truggy tyres on its epic..

Thanks for the set up too if I get the links I'll try your set up first!

Cheers
Mark

My Corally experience is limited to 1 6S Kronos XTR 21.

I hadn't entertained the notion of buying a pre-assembled roller - but Razor's YT videos sold it.

It's been very good to be fair. It does not have the tower to tower brace. I don't crash it over and over. In fact, the worst it has to deal with is ripping around a paddock, jumping natural mounds and high-speed runs on a 1/2 mile stretch of tarmac.

Nothing has broken. The rear wing has a crack, the rear wing mount is quite unforgiving and feels brittle. Yet - it lives. 🤣

Arms and hubs are all still intact, chassis is straight, braces are good.

Diffs have been serviced and the rig has been checked for loose bolts etc.

The black output drives from the diffs are quite soft and wear progressively - especially the centre diff. If you look at the angle of the centre drive line - it's easy to see the relatively sub-optimal angles which cause the wear.

Race truggies have near perfect straight line centre drive shaft angles, which are more efficient and reduce wear rate.

The hardened outputs are a must once the black ones are notched.View attachment 5286
They have a very similar look to Hudy spring steel.

Pinions are a pain. Sooner or later, they backup onto the motor mount and grind away, which is horrific. 😱

KnowAir convinced me to use Tekno pinions with M5 grub screws. It's his fault that I now only want to use them, because they are about £14 a pinion - but they work. 😎👍 Sound advice Vs the inconvenience of damaged motor mounts.

View attachment 5287

View attachment 5289
Front arms get slop in them fore/aft. Mine are now shimmed up to prevent this, otherwise have wibbly wobbly caster.
View attachment 5290
Overall condition of output drives is at the rear is good, with a slight groove developing - but not unacceptable. (Yes - I have a British made, adjustable spanner from the late 50's in my RC tool kit! It's nearly 70 years old and made from Sheffield steel)
View attachment 5291
The upgrade HD hubs are waiting in the wings. If the original hubs break. A fellow forum member donated their code. 🫡I ordered them from TC - but the postage was the same price as the parts. 💩🥴

Overall, my Kronos XTR has been a blast and it's got me back into electric RC again. 🤩 It's definitely up there in my lifetime top 5 RC's and I've built and raced many over the years since 81. 👍

Now that's something I haven't come across yet; the pinion backing into the motor mount. I did have one come loose once, but that was due to a under-tightened grub. I did try shimming my arms too, but I didn't get the magic quite right, as it caused binding. :confused:

I do have some upgrade bits ready for install, but I think I'll save that for my son's Kronos XP. In fact, I just finished that up this weekend. Got the diffs topped off, all the electronics installed, servo centered. Now I just need to put it on the tuning board and it'll be ready for a shakedown. Come to think of it, I put some shiny new Scribble pre-mounts on it. I think I'll take those off and put on the other set of half-worn Scribbles instead. If it's just to shake loose the bolts and check the flying characteristics, then I can save the shiny ones for the race. 😬

Hi mate,
Thanks for that reply, I totally agree with you re the Kraton. I think with standard diffs you could easily tune them like every other RC and that push understeer could be dialled out. Incredible you mention the Talion and then finding Corally that is without a lie exactly what happened to me! 😄 I was keen as to get a Talion but when I really started looking at the Muraco then watched the Popalong RC guys on YouTube racing theirs around and their compliments of it PLUS the cost compared to the Talion it was a no brainier.. With the Racing truggy tyres on its epic..

Thanks for the set up too if I get the links I'll try your set up first!

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark! Not a problem at all. Yanno, I'm curious if the Corally diffs will fit in the Kraton. If they do, then personally I'd run TC diffs in a Kraton; the TC diffs in my experience have been more or less bomb proof.

And is that right? I was looking at a Kraton, but dismissed it as perhaps being too much of a brute. The Talion seemed a bit more svelte, and also seemed be the more nimble offering. And then I came across the Punisher and the price was much more agreeable than a Talion. Finally decided on the Muraco as there was a good deal on it.

You're welcome on the setup!

very best,
paul

Last edited:
Now that's something I haven't come across yet; the pinion backing into the motor mount. I did have one come loose once, but that was due to a under-tightened grub. I did try shimming my arms too, but I didn't get the magic quite right, as it caused binding. :confused:

I do have some upgrade bits ready for install, but I think I'll save that for my son's Kronos XP. In fact, I just finished that up this weekend. Got the diffs topped off, all the electronics installed, servo centered. Now I just need to put it on the tuning board and it'll be ready for a shakedown. Come to think of it, I put some shiny new Scribble pre-mounts on it. I think I'll take those off and put on the other set of half-worn Scribbles instead. If it's just to shake loose the bolts and check the flying characteristics, then I can save the shiny ones for the race. 😬

Hi Mark! Not a problem at all. Yanno, I'm curious if the Corally diffs will fit in the Kraton. If they do, then personally I'd run TC diffs in a Kraton; the TC diffs in my experience have been more or less bomb proof.

And is that right? I was looking at a Kraton, but dismissed it as perhaps being too much of a brute. The Talion seemed a bit more svelte, and also seemed be the more nimble offering. And then I came across the Punisher and the price was much more agreeable than a Talion. Finally decided on the Muraco as there was a good deal on it.

You're welcome on the setup!

very best,
paul
Hi Paul,

Sorry mate I totally missed your reply. Yeah I agree if the TC diffs fit the Kraton that would be epic. The TC cars sound so quiet when they're running around and I put it down to the CNC precision diff gears.. I'll have to check on Google if anyone has tried it and see what I find.

I'm 50 this year and was into RC as a kid with the Tamiya stuff. Hours waiting to charge for 10 mins of fun .. Donot mis those days.. When I got back into the hobby 5 years ago and started watching a heap of YT vids it I seen how many people were using the Kraton and how a lot said it really was the do it all RC so I went with the V1 6S EXB and put a MAX 8 in and it's been awesome. I'm no jumper like you see so many people do with them, me and my mates set up tracks in the spots we drive and race around drifting and spraying rocks/dirt etc.. great fun.

MY RC garage consists of a TA RC8B3e buggy, Kraton, Muraco, Asuga and a brand new Kagama yet to touch the dirt.. Did you end up picking up another RC?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Paul,

Sorry mate I totally missed your reply. Yeah I agree if the TC diffs fit the Kraton that would be epic. The TC cars sound so quiet when they're running around and I put it down to the CNC precision diff gears.. I'll have to check on Google if anyone has tried it and see what I find.

I'm 50 this year and was into RC as a kid with the Tamiya stuff. Hours waiting to charge for 10 mins of fun .. Donot mis those days.. When I got back into the hobby 5 years ago and started watching a heap of YT vids it I seen how many people were using the Kraton and how a lot said it really was the do it all RC so I went with the V1 6S EXB and put a MAX 8 in and it's been awesome. I'm no jumper like you see so many people do with them, me and my mates set up tracks in the spots we drive and race around drifting and spraying rocks/dirt etc.. great fun.

MY RC garage consists of a TA RC8B3e buggy, Kraton, Muraco, Asuga and a brand new Kagama yet to touch the dirt.. Did you end up picking up another RC?

Cheers

Mark

That's a nice collection of rigs!

Would you care to show us some pics of your TA RC8 B3E?

Another member has just picked up a Mugen Truggy - these platforms are similar in layout/geometry.

Hi Paul,

Cheers

Mark
Cheers to turning 50 brother! 🍻 I’m there with ya!

Hi Paul,

Cheers

Mark

Not a problem at all. Another option to check for fitment is to pull the diffs from your Muraco and see if they fit in your Kraton. I have an Arrma, but it's the 8S Outcast, so probably not a good candidate. :LOL:

I remember when I first started the actual hobby grade stuff. I was running Nimhs and Nicads. I had somewhere around 16-18 packs. :oops: I'd be charging all day just to run about an hour and a half. Heck, I even charged when I was working on the weekend at one of the malls here. Figured if I had to work from 9-3, I may as well charge. Most people were looking for outlets to charge their phone; mine looked like an IED up against the wall. :ROFLMAO:

Nice collection! I was looking at some of the TA stuff last year, but finally found my ET48.3. I've had the chance to put her through her paces a couple of times; she's a scalpel. I've made some adjustments to my Shogun and she's maybe about 3 levels down from the Tekno. I'd bet with a little bit of weight loss the Shogun would be nice and nimble as well.

Cheers to turning 50 brother! 🍻 I’m there with ya!
Hey thanks so much! I remember my mum saying even I was a teenager you never feel any different/older in your mind then you look in the mirror! 😂 I totally get that! Sometimes I'm at work (construction manager for nsw health) and I think far out I can't believe people actually trust me with stuff lol 😂 because I'm so a big kid inside.. Like they say growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional! 😎 Here's to staying young at heart! Happy 50th too mate! 🍻

You're young ones: I'm 74. 😄
74 going on 44! 😉

Hey thanks so much! I remember my mum saying even I was a teenager you never feel any different/older in your mind then you look in the mirror! 😂 I totally get that! Sometimes I'm at work (construction manager for nsw health) and I think far out I can't believe people actually trust me with stuff lol 😂 because I'm so a big kid inside.. Like they say growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional! 😎 Here's to staying young at heart! Happy 50th too mate! 🍻

74 going on 44! 😉
I do believe that your mother was on to something. 👍

If you stay active and have things to keep you active and enjoy, you tend to be happier. lol, I’m not saying that everyone should run marathons either, but it seems that people who are content to sit and become more sedentary seem to age faster both physically and mentally.

My daughters definitely keep me young, and on my toes! 👀

74 going on 44! 😉

I'm taking that one. "Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional." :LOL:

If you stay active and have things to keep you active and enjoy, you tend to be happier. lol, I’m not saying that everyone should run marathons either, but it seems that people who are content to sit and become more sedentary seem to age faster both physically and mentally.

My mother was on something too. My a**. :oops: I don't regret it, though. Her and my dad gave me a solid foundation that has served me well. ❤️

I definitely need to get out and move more, that's for sure. Been sedentary for quite a while; I feel the joints slowly getting weaker due to the inactivity. Oh well. Once I finish training my son for his upcoming indoor season I can turn the focus on to me for a little. Gotta keep nice and spry for my youngest.

Another member has just picked up a Mugen Truggy - these platforms are similar in layout/geometry.
Hi Mate,

Thanks very much! Yeah no worries at all.. It's half 1 Monday arvo here in Sydney so soon as I get home from work I'll grab some pics and upload them. I've never used it yet even though I've had it for a good few years. Was going to join the off road track about an hour from home but working 6 days a week all year it's hard to find the time..
I think I might've been reading that members post about picking up a Mugen.. I did hear all the accusations of copying that TA copped after bringing out their new buggies.. TA must've thought can't beat em let's join em! 😋

Cheers,

Mark

Totally agree with that! It's a great hobby and when you're out bashing on the weekend nothing else enters my mind and I find I'm smiling and laughing for pretty much the entire time...
I love how you've got your girls into the hobby.. I've got a daughter and she's 17 in April and I got her the SKETER so that we had something to do together and she'll come driving most times I go and we have a blast!
😊👍

Not a problem at all. Another option to check for fitment is to pull the diffs from your Muraco and see if they fit in your Kraton. I have an Arrma, but it's the 8S Outcast, so probably not a good candidate. :LOL:

I remember when I first started the actual hobby grade stuff. I was running Nimhs and Nicads. I had somewhere around 16-18 packs. :oops: I'd be charging all day just to run about an hour and a half. Heck, I even charged when I was working on the weekend at one of the malls here. Figured if I had to work from 9-3, I may as well charge. Most people were looking for outlets to charge their phone; mine looked like an IED up against the wall. :ROFLMAO:

Nice collection! I was looking at some of the TA stuff last year, but finally found my ET48.3. I've had the chance to put her through her paces a couple of times; she's a scalpel. I've made some adjustments to my Shogun and she's maybe about 3 levels down from the Tekno. I'd bet with a little bit of weight loss the Shogun would be nice and nimble as well.
Hi Paul,

Far out mate I cracked up with that IED comment! 😂😂🤣Hilarious! Sheesh you had some packs! I do not miss those days one bit!

You're right mate next service I'll check to see if the Muraco diffs fit the Kraton and vice versa.. That will be very interesting to see what happens there..

Thanks for the kind words... I love watching the 8th scale off road racing and notice Tekno is really big in the states.. They don't seem to have a big presence here in Australia, no idea why, but I have to say all the comments I read by people who are or have owned a TEKNO seem to be super positive.. Ryan Maifield is incredible on track with his... Here in Australia it's mainly TA, Losi, Mugen and some Sworkz.. At the track I'm thinking of joining quite a few guys run AGAMA 's..

You don't have a YouTube channel do you where I could follow you?

Last edited:

Hi mate Here's some pics of my associated.. I bought a high quality air brush and compressor and really loved painting the body. First one I've ever done and I learnt plenty of lessons.. If they weren't expensive I'd love to practice on them..

20240318_232726.jpg

20240318_232716.jpg

20240318_232643.jpg

20240318_232553.jpg

20240318_232359.jpg

20240318_232508.jpg

20240318_232518.jpg

20240318_232634.jpg

I'm new to the forum and have never uploaded photos before so if I've done anything inappropriate by posting so many and in full can you guys please let me know and also let me know how I should do it.. No offence taken and will be glad to be educated on the way it should be done. 🙏😊

That looks amazing! Very nice! 👍
Thanks so much mate. ( so sorry I can't recall your name 🙈)

Back