Sketer All you lucky enough to have driven the new Arrma 4s V2 line. Should the Sketer be worried?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

project_revenant

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Sketer
Over on the Arrma forum I asked the question but to try an weed out fan boys, I thought it best to ask it here as well. I will copy and paste the question in hopes that nothing will get lost in translation. Sometimes I think people that only speak Arrma, Traxxas or Corally have a tough time understanding the different languages 🤭.
…Hey guys I have the Outcast 6s exb, Kraton 8s, Granite 3s, and a senton 3s and have a deep love for Arrma. But earlier this year I was looking for a 4s truck and I found the Team Corally Sketer. It is hands down my favorite truck for around the yard and general bashing in smaller areas. My question is this…. I have been eyeing this new v2 4s line from Arrma but I’m wondering if I will be disappointed? IMO Team Corally knocked it outta the park with that Sketer for its size, drive train and durability. This new Arrma truck is close to the same price and still uses a slipper? Those that have driven the new Arrma 4s line and the Sketer, In your opinion does it seem worth it to get the Arrma or is the sketer just a better bang for the buck?…. I know not many have gotten the opportunity to drive the new v2’s. Im just hoping someone important sees this and can share their thoughts. Thanks

Last edited:
I did reply with my opinion over on AF. I suspect the Sketer has a better drivetrain and as such will handle more power and bigger tires without an issue. When I look at the Sketer, I see an 1/8 scale buggy with oversized tires and extra bracing.. and of course a truck body('ish).. the v2 4s looks great so far.. I think I like the Arrma myself. Of course durability is unproven with it, but Amain reported 54mph stock on 4s, that's pretty fast. It seems very lively on 4s..
I see RCDude 81 mentioned 6s almost immediately in his first run with the v2. I don't see it holding up to 6s myself. Whereas plenty of people are successfully running 6s in the Sketer.
My assessment so far is the Arrma looks better on 4s, but likely won't hold up to power upgrades very well and the Sketer needs a power and width upgrade to keep pace.

I did reply with my opinion over on AF. I suspect the Sketer has a better drivetrain and as such will handle more power and bigger tires without an issue. When I look at the Sketer, I see an 1/8 scale buggy with oversized tires and extra bracing.. and of course a truck body('ish).. the v2 4s looks great so far.. I think I like the Arrma myself. Of course durability is unproven with it, but Amain reported 54mph stock on 4s, that's pretty fast. It seems very lively on 4s..
I see RCDude 81 mentioned 6s almost immediately in his first run with the v2. I don't see it holding up to 6s myself. Whereas plenty of people are successfully running 6s in the Sketer.
My assessment so far is the Arrma looks better on 4s, but likely won't hold up to power upgrades very well and the Sketer needs a power and width upgrade to keep pace.
I agree with the wide upgrade for the Sketer to keep it planted and run larger tires comfortably. But as for the power part the sketer on 4s even with stock electronics is a nasty truck. I have my 6s stuff for larger areas and think the 4s stuff has its place. I personally have never used a slipper clutch above 3s and am a bit concerned with consistency and reliability with it in a 4s system. Jeez and if it was upgraded to 6s that just sounds like your asking for problems… but what do I know. That’s y I’m asking for the professionals opinion. Thanks for following up with me here on the Corally forum. It’s nice to see someone else that swings both ways. 😂

I agree with the wide upgrade for the Sketer to keep it planted and run larger tires comfortably. But as for the power part the sketer on 4s even with stock electronics is a nasty truck. I have my 6s stuff for larger areas and think the 4s stuff has its place. I personally have never used a slipper clutch above 3s and am a bit concerned with consistency and reliability with it in a 4s system. Jeez and if it was upgraded to 6s that just sounds like your asking for problems… but what do I know. That’s y I’m asking for the professionals opinion. Thanks for following up with me here on the Corally forum. It’s nice to see someone else that swings both ways. 😂
Oh, you wanted professional opinions..I'm not qualified then.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I do agree about the slipper too, I forgot that part. I haven't had an rc with a slipper clutch in about 30 years..hate em. Also forgot that TC electronics are running turbo firmware!! Seriously tho, the Torox/Kuron combo really is a step up from any rtr electronics I've ever encountered. I stand corrected, the Sketer will likely hold it's own on 4s against the Speculum electronics..

I'm only loyal to friends and family, not corporations or material belongings..buy what you like I say!!

Have not driven the V2 Arrma 4S stuff yet, but I think the Sketer will be way more durable from a drivetrain standpoint.

I built a Kraton 4s and Outcast 4s. Both had the CVD axles. Issues was the diff output shafts. Kept killing them. Had to keep the slipper loose not to. I don't like that, sold both of them.

Thing is, the slipper is a power limiting device. A center diff does not limit power, only transfers it.

As for electronics....well, I don't have any rigs with stock. Out of 5 rigs, all have HW or Castle.

Arrma does always win on looks though. They all look great. I think Arrma beats every manufacturer with the look. Love the bodies. I really wish the Sketer body looked better....but I guess that is the sacrifice for me with the sketer.

Have not driven the V2 Arrma 4S stuff yet, but I think the Sketer will be way more durable from a drivetrain standpoint.

I built a Kraton 4s and Outcast 4s. Both had the CVD axles. Issues was the diff output shafts. Kept killing them. Had to keep the slipper loose not to. I don't like that, sold both of them.

Thing is, the slipper is a power limiting device. A center diff does not limit power, only transfers it.

As for electronics....well, I don't have any rigs with stock. Out of 5 rigs, all have HW or Castle.

Arrma does always win on looks though. They all look great. I think Arrma beats every manufacturer with the look. Love the bodies. I really wish the Sketer body looked better....but I guess that is the sacrifice for me with the sketer.
Yep, agreed on all cylinders(points). I really think the v2 4s needs a center diff fitted. Gotta be a way..
But then again, there is the MT410 which was just on sale for like $370 a week ago..at that price, the MT410 is an unbeatable 4s rig IMO 😎

Yep, agreed on all cylinders(points). I really think the v2 4s needs a center diff fitted. Gotta be a way..
But then again, there is the MT410 which was just on sale for like $370 a week ago..at that price, the MT410 is an unbeatable 4s rig IMO 😎
Yep. My 4s rigs are MT410, Sketer, Typhon TLR. All are pretty bullet proof on 4s. All have a Caslte MMX 2200kv setup that rocks.

I have yet to commit to any Castle products myself. I know the reputation they have, but can't see the cost..just me.

4s in my stable consists of MT410, TT ST4 (converted MT4G3), X-Ray xb8 (oldie but still rocks).. a mix of electronics (whatever's cheapest:ROFLMAO:)

The MT410 (BLX185) and ST4 (Corally combo) have 6s capability, but have never been run over 4s. Both have small battery compartments, so I don't bother.

The X-Ray is a mutt, which is ironic since they're so expensive:LOL:. Has a Redcat 4s esc and Turnigy track star 2560kv 4068. This combo just won't die!!🤘:p

I have yet to commit to any Castle products myself. I know the reputation they have, but can't see the cost..just me.

4s in my stable consists of MT410, TT ST4 (converted MT4G3), X-Ray xb8 (oldie but still rocks).. a mix of electronics (whatever's cheapest:ROFLMAO:)

The MT410 (BLX185) and ST4 (Corally combo) have 6s capability, but have never been run over 4s. Both have small battery compartments, so I don't bother.

The X-Ray is a mutt, which is ironic since they're so expensive:LOL:. Has a Redcat 4s esc and Turnigy track star 2560kv 4068. This combo just won't die!!🤘:p
Put 6s in my Sketer once, and TLR once. Way too much. Was just stupid fast.

Put 6s in my Sketer once, and TLR once. Way too much. Was just stupid fast.
HaHa! Yeah, that's another reason I don't bother with 6s in those rigs..just unusable to me.

The slipper is one of the many downsides to the Arrma 1/10 4x4 platform. The motor module is the other big one. Those 2 things alone are what will keep me from ever buying another 1/10 Arrma ever again. You cannot fully address the issues with the slipper or the motor module you are stuck with band-aid fixes that don't actually fix the issues just make them less apparent.

Where was the MT410 on sale?
Tower hobbies for one..don't forget coupon code..
Backordered right now, but can still buy at sale price.

Screenshot_20220722-195641_Samsung Internet.jpg

I will not buy another Arrma 3s, 4s, or 6s vehicle because of the Spektrum motors and ESCs: it's why I bought my first Corally, a Radix6. And putting out a 4s vehicle with a slipper in today's market is just plain cheap.

I will not buy another Arrma 3s, 4s, or 6s vehicle because of the Spektrum motors and ESCs: it's why I bought my first Corally, a Radix6. And putting out a 4s vehicle with a slipper in today's market is just plain cheap.
I've had 6 Arrma rigs....none with Spektrum stuff. Lol. Have 3 now, 2 with HW, one with castle. Have a Corally...same thing, has a Castle system. I don't like any of the stock RTR motors or ESC, no matter what brand.

I've had 6 Arrma rigs....none with Spektrum stuff. Lol. Have 3 now, 2 with HW, one with castle. Have a Corally...same thing, has a Castle system. I don't like any of the stock RTR motors or ESC, no matter what brand.
My Arrma Typhon 3s has a Surpass motor and 130A ESC, and my Kraton 6s has a Castle MMX 8s ESC with a 1717 1650k motor. It's a beast. The Corally RTR ESC and motor on my Radix6 are rebranded Hobbywing Max 8 components, and the ESC has not been "dumbed down" (i.e. missing programming features) like Arrma does on their ESCs to save money.

My Arrma Typhon 3s has a Surpass motor and 130A ESC, and my Kraton 6s has a Castle MMX 8s ESC with a 1717 1650k motor. It's a beast. The Corally RTR ESC and motor on my Radix6 are rebranded Hobbywing Max 8 components, and the ESC has not been "dumbed down" (i.e. missing programming features) like Arrma does on their ESCs to save money.
Yeah, I feel they should have put that ESC in the Sketer. Setup that came stock was underpowered for my liking.

Back