Sketer Widening with hex extenders - a good idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunnyCar

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Sketer
Hi Folks, I would like to hear your opinions about using hex extenders. Just to know what kind of troubles I have to expect ... ;)

I know, some of you have already done some “proper” widening by using wide steering blocks and/or longer arms from the 1/8 models like Dementor, etc.

My main intention was originally not the widening itself, but I was looking for an easy way to increase the top speed from the stock 70kmh/45mph to 80+kmh/50+mph (which is usually done by changing the pinion from 13T to 15T) and increasing the ground clearance. So the obvious solution was a change to bigger wheels … and for installing those I did need to do some widening.

To be honest, I simply did not have enough patience and instead of doing the “proper” widening I went the “quick and dirty” way by using hex extenders. For the wheels I did want to exchange the stock wheels (134mm and 70mm wide) by the Arrma 1/10 dBoots Backflip LP (154mm and 77mm wide). Those also have a different offset, so I decided for hex extenders which add about +15mm on each side:

IMG_1200.JPG

Comparison stock wheel/new wheel from the front (overall width stayed about the same):
IMG_1195.JPG

Comparison stock wheel/new wheel from the side:
IMG_1194.JPG

And here's how it looks like after finishing all four wheels:
IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

How is the driving? I do not use it as a stunt truck (jumping with ramps, etc.) but I drive it mostly on wide fields or big dirty places with stones. With the substantially higher speed and the increased ground clearance this is much more fun – it really “flies” over the fields … and it does easily make wheelies now!

Mechanics: Of course this setup will add additional stress but I believe (hope) most parts can handle this. I do expect the highest effect on the wheel bearings … time will tell.

Electronics: The stock electronics did withstand it up to now, as expected the motor is getting hotter but with the quite low temperatures outside this time of the year (just above 10 deg.C/50deg.F) it is still ok. That for sure will change in summer, but I am trying some motor cooling options already.

Last edited:
I am not a widening expert and mine is still stock. Others here know better.
Making it wilder gives more stress on the front and back arms so they will break at some point. But you know that allready 😉
Stock up on them and bash on💪

Personally I would advise against it as it puts too much stress on the axles/bearings, but if you have to do it try to keep it to a minimum width extension as it will also mess up all the steering..
Easiest way to extend safely is to change hub carriers to the wide versions 👍🏼

Thank you for the clear words! I will keep it for the moment and will watch what happens… and most probably will go the way of changing the hub carriers if necessary.

Personally I would advise against it as it puts too much stress on the axles/bearings, but if you have to do it try to keep it to a minimum width extension as it will also mess up all the steering..
Easiest way to extend safely is to change hub carriers to the wide versions 👍🏼
So you need only the hub carriers? Wich part number would that be?

So you need only the hub carriers? Wich part number would that be?
You would also need the wide axles front and rear 🤔
Front carriers... https://www.corally.com/Pieces-Opti...e-Pillow-Ball-Cup-2pcs-Front-Composite-1-Set/
Rear carriers... https://www.corally.com/Car-Parts-T...eam-Corally-Composite-Rear-Upright-Wide-1-pc/

These would work.. https://jennysrc.com/collections/co...hafts-front-rear-center-universal-cvd-c-00166

You only actually need the front cvd part, but Corally only sell them as a complete driveshaft.
You'd also need rear stub axle

Just use Kronos, Punisher, Jambo, Dementor parts for wide stuff..!!😁👍🏼

Last edited:
More stress on bearings, hubs, and axles. Not a big deal if riding on a flat street without bumps and jumps like offroad.

Thanks – I agree, for all other parts towards the chassis (arms, driveshafts, etc.) it should not make any difference if the widening was achieved by a hex-extender, by a wider hub or by installing wheels with a different offset … and maybe I should explain my thoughts and why I was asking about this:

If my approach fails I will go to the wide–hub conversion anyway and in the worst case I would have destroyed or degraded the following parts:
  • The hex extenders (did cost me 15€/$)
  • Bearings (8 pieces are about 10€/$ in total)
  • Axles (I don’t count, because I would need to replace them by the longer axles anyway)
  • Hubs (I don’t count, because I would need to replace them by the wider hubs anyway)
So the risk is that I would have lost 25€/$ and about 30 minutes of time I did need to install the hex-extenders ... I am still curious how long my setup will work ... and 25€/$ are a good investment if I will be wiser afterwards ;)

Last edited:
That really looks very cool!
With this width even going full speed around corners it won’t flip over anymore I guess … and is there much difference in terms of handling/agility?

So you did wide hubs and arms, right?

That really looks very cool!
With this width even going full speed around corners it won’t flip over anymore I guess … and is there much difference in terms of handling/agility?

So you did wide hubs and arms, right?
Wide arms, stock Sketer hubs and axles.
I did just the wide hubs at first, then went thus method and use the stock hubs. Didn't need the full 6s width.

It is really hard to roll over, can turn at any speed on any surface. Still handles and turns great. I love it.

I see … that‘s impressive … widening at it‘s maximum! Is this now more wide than long already?😀

But seriously, does so much widening not have negative effects on the agility in terms of steering?

I see … that‘s impressive … widening at it‘s maximum! Is this now more wide than long already?😀

But seriously, does so much widening not have negative effects on the agility in terms of steering?
Steering is fine. Does not change it other than won't roll, will drift more.

I'm not sure if it's wider than it is long, I haven't measured for that.

I suppose you could google Kronos width and compare that to Sketer wheelbase?

The Kronos width is 465mm and I just measured the ‚real‘ length of the Sketer - it is 465mm as well! (the official stated 547mm are including the bumper and the wheelie-bar). Well done to get it exactly to this 1:1 ratio 😉

Are wheels, servo, esc and motor still stock or modified as well?

Last edited:
Back