Wellbeing Wednesday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffwazz

Reaction score
Our local (to work) BMX track on a Wednesday lunchtime with @Monsieur Velo
IMG_20240131_123219_489.jpg

Rolling up with a Punisher and Outcast, it felt like arriving at a Lambretta rally on a Fireblade šŸ¤£
IMG_20240131_123600_668.jpg

A substitute Tamiya Tuesday for us this week.
Rolled up with my well loved SavageXS so I don't squish the little ones.View attachment 5511

That's just frikkin awesome! Love that! I remember lusting over a Blackfoot when I was younger. My cousin had one and I was secretly in love.

With the Blackfoot. Not my cousin.

Gotta love the Savage. šŸ˜Ž Solidarity!
View attachment 5513

I still get the hankerin to get me a Savage every now and again. Brushless version, of course. I haven't run nitro since being traumatized by two Revos (one a 2.5, the other a 3.3), but if there were a nitro rig I'd like to try it would have to be the big block version of the Savage.

That's just frikkin awesome! Love that! I remember lusting over a Blackfoot when I was younger. My cousin had one and I was secretly in love.

With the Blackfoot. Not my cousin.

I still get the hankerin to get me a Savage every now and again. Brushless version, of course. I haven't run nitro since being traumatized by two Revos (one a 2.5, the other a 3.3), but if there were a nitro rig I'd like to try it would have to be the big block version of the Savage.
Hard to beat a nitro savage!

IMG_20230502_183504236.jpg

Nitro Savages are awesome - obviously not as fast as lipo powered brushless stuff - but with 3 speeds, taller gearing and .28 size engines - they're good for 40+ mph.

My one was hysterical when I first built it. Turning circle and steering was terrible out of the box. The tyres were big and like marsh mallow. Keeping it on it's wheels was a challenge in itself.

Savage build 1.jpg

Savage build 2.jpg
Savage build 3.jpg

Savage build 4.jpg

Savage build 5.jpg

Savage build 6.jpg

Savage build 7.jpg

Savage build 8.jpg

Savage endurance 05.jpg

500 lap endurance race! First place! šŸ˜Ž
SS Crazy Nut 05.jpg

Crazy nut brake upgrade
Scolton Savage 4 R_373533859273730.JPG

Bashing in 2002 before the term bashing was coined.
Scolton Savage-Westie 2 R.JPG

Scotty attack!!
s25transferport.jpg

Porting the engine....
s25jdportjob.jpg

JD for nerves!!!
savagejump0604a.jpg

Racing the Savage and getting it to handle well enough to beat Tmaxxs and Revos was quite a mission. Getting it within 3 secs per lap of pro driven 1/8th buggies did the job! šŸ¤© Leaping off a jump at a RRCI race to a 1st place finish in the MT A final. šŸ˜Ž

Last edited:
viper40s.jpg

One of the things Savages suffered with was broken Wheel Hexes. So, a no compromise option was billet machined wheels. Here are a set of 40 series Ramtech Vipers 6 Spoke. Ā£Ā£$$

These worked out lighter than the stock wheel/tyre combo...šŸ˜….

Later, 40 series on 22mm Hubs/Hexes cured the stripping issue and we're much, much lighter.
savagerodend1.jpg

Every savage owner had issues with the rear track rods popping off. I made mine captive - so much better! Newer Savages were designed with no rear track rods. However, I preferred the adjustable rear toe for racing, as the track conditions changed through the course of the day/weekend.

Some of the other Savagery going on at the club:
savagemad1.jpg

savagemad2.jpg

savagemad3.jpg

savagemad4.jpg
savagemad5.jpg

savagemadpicco.jpg

Picco 26. Allegedly had 3.5hp output. šŸ¤£

View attachment 5536
One of the things Savages suffered with was broken Wheel Hexes. So, a no compromise option was billet machined wheels. Here are a set of 40 series Ramtech Vipers 6 Spoke. Ā£Ā£$$

These worked out lighter than the stock wheel/tyre combo...šŸ˜….

Later, 40 series on 22mm Hubs/Hexes cured the stripping issue and we're much, much lighter.
View attachment 5537
Every savage owner had issues with the rear track rods popping off. I made mine captive - so much better! Newer Savages were designed with no rear track rods. However, I preferred the adjustable rear toe for racing, as the track conditions changed through the course of the day/weekend.

Some of the other Savagery going on at the club:
View attachment 5538
View attachment 5539
View attachment 5540
View attachment 5541View attachment 5542
View attachment 5543
Picco 26. Allegedly had 3.5hp output. šŸ¤£
Haha, yeah gotta love the marketing hype, the lrp .28's in my savages claim 3.93hp, don't get me wrong they run hard well at least after I ditched the crap stock carbs for nova carbs but pretty sure you can cut the advertised number in half....or more

Haha, yeah gotta love the marketing hype, the lrp .28's in my savages claim 3.93hp, don't get me wrong they run hard well at least after I ditched the crap stock carbs for nova carbs but pretty sure you can cut the advertised number in half....or more
3.97 hp - when run on 90% Nitro, 10% oil, at Sea level, run lean, for all of 2 minutes. During an eclipse, with a conjunction of the planets. In the presence of Aliens. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I run my STS with my trusty OS Carb. It runs so much better - idles properly, transitions properly - never gets offended. šŸ˜

1000016346.jpg

It's my Savage's 20th Birthday on the 11th March. šŸ¤©

Edit to add:
1000016347.jpg

Fun fact: My Sworkz is wider than my Savage!!! šŸ¤Ø

Our local (to work) BMX track on a Wednesday lunchtime with @Monsieur Velo
View attachment 5187
Rolling up with a Punisher and Outcast, it felt like arriving at a Lambretta rally on a Fireblade šŸ¤£
View attachment 5188
I'd love a place to run like that!! Outta my waaay Tamiyas - Kronos XTR is here to play.....on 6S!!! šŸ˜šŸ¤˜

But seriously - look at those awesome, smooth doubles and triples!!! šŸ˜Ž What a great place to race. Do you have a place for a rostrum?

Back out today with @Monsieur Velo for more lunchtime fun. No Tamiyas today, so it was full on sends!

I'd love a place to run like that!! Outta my waaay Tamiyas - Kronos XTR is here to play.....on 6S!!! šŸ˜šŸ¤˜

But seriously - look at those awesome, smooth doubles and triples!!! šŸ˜Ž What a great place to race. Do you have a place for a rostrum?
It's a great track, tarmac surface, so always the same, and when in the rain (like today) still huge fun!
Rostrum wise, plenty of options - start ramp/hill, 1st or 3rd berms etc, maybe even one of the triples.
Even though it's local, every time we go we find more lines and jumps to spend time on, be it the big sends off the berms, or perfectly (yeah right) timed jumps to nose it down onto the down slope šŸ˜

Last edited:
I know I'm getting old when I don't have any interest in nitro rc's anymore, LOL. Still cool of course, but I don't miss them TBH. Still have a few tucked away, but highly unlikely they'll ever run again. Electric is just soo easy and powerful.

I know I'm getting old when I don't have any interest in nitro rc's anymore, LOL. Still cool of course, but I don't miss them TBH. Still have a few tucked away, but highly unlikely they'll ever run again. Electric is just soo easy and powerful.
I still have a lot of love for them but really depends on what it is, my rtr oriented ones I rarely mess with because they never run right on the previous tune, end up spending 20 minutes getting them running half way decent, but I love my savage and the proper setup it has, that ones just as easy as electric, rarely turn a carb needle and when ya do it's a tiny adjustment, that truck just works, that's when they're enjoyable

Last time I ran a nitro truck it was my Schumacher Manic, (8th scale, with twin nitro engines linked with a toothed drive belt).
Had to be one of the most frustrating things to get to run well, but when it did, it was flipping awesome šŸ˜Ž
It had it's problems tho, going out with 2 glow starts, cordless drill starter, litre of fuel for about an hour's play.
Of course, that's if you managed to get it started.......
Then when running, flip onto the roof, runs lean if you can't right it in time, plugs destroyedšŸ˜•
But it was hilarious, noisy, smelly, and nitro fumes would give me a migraine after a while, so it's just electric for me now!
023.jpg

Last edited:
I still have a lot of love for them but really depends on what it is, my rtr oriented ones I rarely mess with because they never run right on the previous tune, end up spending 20 minutes getting them running half way decent, but I love my savage and the proper setup it has, that ones just as easy as electric, rarely turn a carb needle and when ya do it's a tiny adjustment, that truck just works, that's when they're enjoyable
True, that OS engine was a game changer for me. The quality of it over even the Taiwan engines was notable..the China engines in the nineties were laughable.

Back