Sketer Talk me out of buying a Sketer!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee82gx

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm in the market for another RC, yay! I have Armma Notorious and Kraton 6S and they are a bit too big for my condo yard.
I still want to jump my RC on a parabolic ramp and I have about 20-30 feet of space for landing...Typically with my Kraton it really needs a lot of speed to get high enough to back flip, on the Noto, a bit less so. Both tend to use up all the space and sometimes they land out of the grass and thats not good.

So here I am thinking a 4s and shorter WB may be the answer, is the Sketer the answer?
Also, I live in a country / region that barely has any Corally dealer and I must order online and wait a long time so obviously if the Sketer is a stinker I will have literally bought a big piece of metal and plastic.

Can the Sketer backflip off a 2 feet high parabolic ramp? without needing to fly 30 feet forward? If necessary I can throw in a 6s system but I'm worried it will fly too far ahead too.
As a comparison

This dude does it with the Tekno MT410 2.0 but at the end of the video he busts his plastic shock cap on a RC that is almost twice as expensive as a Sketer. Well I'd be fine with that except my country also does not have a dealer that sells the proper aluminium Tekno shock cap!

Last edited:
I won't talk you out of the Sketer, it's a good machine. Depends on what you really want I say.
The Sketer is a bit of an oddity I feel, it's the size of a 1/8 buggy, but overbuilt, so quite heavy for a 4s system. Many people end up putting a 6s system into it to get the speeds they want from it.
Here in the US the Sketer sells for $509. That's only $100 less than a Kagama. Then there's the 6s Spark rtr for only $10 more than the Sketer. It could be "truggified" quite easily I'm sure.
The Tekno is definitely on another level from a quality standpoint. A step up from TC IMO. If they were still making the v1 410, easy choice. The new 2.0, nah. Too little for too much coin I think. It's basically the same truck as the sct410 with beefed up body mounts and a T2T brace on it.

After thinking about it more, what about something smaller? Like an MT10 from Associated, or the Rlarrlo Omni Terminator? A Redcat Kaiju on 6s is straight bananas as far as backflipping goes too. The OG Kaiju I mean. Although the EXT also rotates quite quickly, makes them a handful in my experience.

Last edited:
I won't talk you out of the Sketer, it's a good machine. Depends on what you really want I say.
The Sketer is a bit of an oddity I feel, it's the size of a 1/8 buggy, but overbuilt, so quite heavy for a 4s system. Many people end up putting a 6s system into it to get the speeds they want from it.
Here in the US the Sketer sells for $509. That's only $100 less than a Kagama. Then there's the 6s Spark rtr for only $10 more than the Sketer. It could be "truggified" quite easily I'm sure.
The Tekno is definitely on another level from a quality standpoint. A step up from TC IMO. If they were still making the v1 410, easy choice. The new 2.0, nah. Too little for too much coin I think. It's basically the same truck as the sct410 with beefed up body mounts and a T2T brace on it.

After thinking about it more, what about something smaller? Like an MT10 from Associated, or the Rlarrlo Omni Terminator? A Redcat Kaiju on 6s is straight bananas as far as backflipping goes too. The OG Kaiju I mean. Although the EXT also rotates quite quickly, makes them a handful in my experience.
Thanks for replying but I get the feeling you are talking me out...haha

Anyways here is the situation about my lovely country Malaysia - The single corally dealer does not carry much stock. So we have Radix 6s, Sketer 4s, Kagama 6s, Muraco 6s and Jambo 6s.

I am totally confused about Corally buggies - why do they have so many? Can I truggify the Radix?

Owing to the parts availability which is pretty poor, I feel like I must buy something that is supported by JennysRc. She has saved me on many an occassion even with the most readily available brand, Arrma.

So my choices are limited, Arrma, Traxxas, Corally and Tekno. Redcat is totally not sold in my country, and the Kaiju is just as big as my 6S Notorious.

Is the Granite 3S a good choice?

Regarding the Rlarrlo....I am not convinced the 1/11th scale actually backflips. And even if it does I’m worried a little bit more about air control.

Cant go wrong with the Sketer. I have one, it is a tank. But she is heavy and fully upgraded. Is my first real Rc so i love it. But, if i where you, i would buy a Kagama. Newer car, build like a tank and loads of after market parts available. Not many other manufacturers then TC make parts for the Sketer but for the Kagama there are loads more. So for you in Malaysia maybe easier to get.

Thanks for replying but I get the feeling you are talking me out...haha

Anyways here is the situation about my lovely country Malaysia - The single corally dealer does not carry much stock. So we have Radix 6s, Sketer 4s, Kagama 6s, Muraco 6s and Jambo 6s.

I am totally confused about Corally buggies - why do they have so many? Can I truggify the Radix?

Owing to the parts availability which is pretty poor, I feel like I must buy something that is supported by JennysRc. She has saved me on many an occassion even with the most readily available brand, Arrma.

So my choices are limited, Arrma, Traxxas, Corally and Tekno. Redcat is totally not sold in my country, and the Kaiju is just as big as my 6S Notorious.

Is the Granite 3S a good choice?

Regarding the Rlarrlo....I am not convinced the 1/11th scale actually backflips. And even if it does I’m worried a little bit more about air control.
What about the Spark? I believe you said that you wanted to go smaller. I love my Kagama, it’s easily my “go to” car for having fun but it’s not small in any way imaginable. I’m not sure the tighter quarters would allow you to really let it out.

From everything I’ve seen the Spark is a blast on 4S and positively lethal on 6S. 😈 I like the Synchro too but it feels limiting, just imo.

I must admit I started spewing answers before fully reading the OP first post.. sorry, I do it routinely, LOL.
The v1 MT410 sounds really appropriate, but if Tekno parts are hard to get, maybe not.
FWIW, I own 2 Teknos and have yet to break a shock cap.. plastic shock cartridge cap, yes. But that was due to a collision with another rc, so..

Cant go wrong with the Sketer. I have one, it is a tank. But she is heavy and fully upgraded. Is my first real Rc so i love it. But, if i where you, i would buy a Kagama. Newer car, build like a tank and loads of after market parts available. Not many other manufacturers then TC make parts for the Sketer but for the Kagama there are loads more. So for you in Malaysia maybe easier to get.

Would your Sketer backflip as easily as the Tekno 410 2.0 does in the video I attached? On 4s? Is it just a matter of power to weight (assuming same length of car). I believe fully loaded the MT410 2.0 is 3.9kg with 4s battery. So to achieve the same power for a 4.6-4.7kg Sketer I just need a 5s system haha. Not that its impossible I'm more worried that it just means more breakage.

I would have loved a Kagama but I lack the storage space for this car, I already have a Arrma Kraton 6S that is under utilized because I run out of space in my regular playing area which is really short. Normally, one of my 1/8 cars are in my 1/1 car trunk actually.

https://earth.google.com/earth/d/1tAWXjeZ74JWfACzyjDHRiGE40cSjVdNl?usp=sharing

(The satellite pictures don't show the full pictures, there is really about a 5ft run up + 25 feet landing zone of grass). My kraton and Notorious has on occassion landed in the swimming pool if I setup the ramp to face it lol.

Right now I'm really contemplating a Truggified buggy. But my first choice for that has to be a Typhon 6S as I already have many shared parts.

Yup...I won't talk you out of one. I say go for it!

And I'll also join in on the Tekno love. Definitely a different breed of machine. (y)

I may get banned for saying it but, what about a Maxx 4s? With the right tires, that thing will rotate really well in the air, and takes a suprising amount of crashes/abuse.

One of my friends runs a Maxx 4S. It’s a fun truck and pretty tough as well. His biggest complaint was that he bought the RTR and he can never seem to get the app software to work properly to adjust the transmitter. Once he swapped that out for a DDF-350 it’s been awesome.

IMG_3820.jpeg

I am also quite partial to the old hbx 16889a pro. This is what got my daughter interested in rc and still to this day it’s one of the most enjoyable cars we have. Tough as nails, surprisingly good air control with the proper tires and some upgraded shocks, freakin amazing. Skate parks, parking lots, football fields, back yard, the little thing moves. It also fits nicely into a backpack!

Maybe the best $68.00 I’ve ever spent.

IMG_3818.jpeg

It may be little, but it sure is mighty!

IMG_3819.jpeg

lol, just to see the size difference.

One of my friends runs a Maxx 4S. It’s a fun truck and pretty tough as well. His biggest complaint was that he bought the RTR and he can never seem to get the app software to work properly to adjust the transmitter. Once he swapped that out for a DDF-350 it’s been awesome.

View attachment 5914

I am also quite partial to the old hbx 16889a pro. This is what got my daughter interested in rc and still to this day it’s one of the most enjoyable cars we have. Tough as nails, surprisingly good air control with the proper tires and some upgraded shocks, freakin amazing. Skate parks, parking lots, football fields, back yard, the little thing moves. It also fits nicely into a backpack!

Maybe the best $68.00 I’ve ever spent.

View attachment 5912
It may be little, but it sure is mighty!

View attachment 5913
lol, just to see the size difference.
Wow! It sure is a little fella!! My bro has a Maxx, he loves it. He crashes, alot!! If he loves it, it's gotta be pretty tough. I've seen it take some real "eye openers"😯 impressive. And expensive.. but the buyin is really the only expensive part. Parts are generally cheap for TRX models compared to say, Tekno, or any race brand. I'm not a fan of their electronics ecosystem myself, but as you said, a $50-100 radio gets rid of the need for the janky BT BS. Esc, well, run till failure, then buy an 08BL150 G2, $75. Servo adapter..$10. I know it all adds up, but I think most will get a year or so from the stock electronics.

I may get banned for saying it but, what about a Maxx 4s? With the right tires, that thing will rotate really well in the air, and takes a suprising amount of crashes/abuse.
Any particular suggestion on tyres? Tyre experimenting is not cheap….🤓

As most know, I'm a Sketer fan boy😉. I moved up from a 3s Big Rock Crew Cab. The upgrades I did were a max 8 system, 16t pinion, Proline Bad Lands, and wider hubs. It handles amazingly well and hits "estimated" 50-52 mph with no over heating on 4s. I run on short grass, dirt, and mildly on tar "driveway".

None of the above is necessary though. I saw a You Tuber replace the stock pinion with a 15t pinion. It was doing back flips and was much faster. Not sure what temps he had though.

As most know, I'm a Sketer fan boy😉. I moved up from a 3s Big Rock Crew Cab. The upgrades I did were a max 8 system, 16t pinion, Proline Bad Lands, and wider hubs. It handles amazingly well and hits "estimated" 50-52 mph with no over heating on 4s. I run on short grass, dirt, and mildly on tar "driveway".

None of the above is necessary though. I saw a You Tuber replace the stock pinion with a 15t pinion. It was doing back flips and was much faster. Not sure what temps he had though.
The YouTuber suffered a thermal shutdown. At least the fan or potentially the whole esc.

May I know your setup for max 8 includes a new motor? What size / kv?

Back