Soldering ESC wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWarrior_KRX

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Sketer
Bought this mess and need to fix it. The seller said they'd solder it after not disclosing that the wires were cut in their ad, so here I am now.
Not trying to start a thread about poor workmanship or integrity. I just need to move on and fix this mess.

These are the leads for the battery connections, I'm just gonna make it a single connection and wanted to know if this is a clean solution.
I bought 10ga silicone wire, a pair of IC5 connectors, and was thinking of using 6.5mm bullet connectors near the ESC. I don't like double connections, but really don't know if using a butt connector would be appropriate so I'm using these. I have a second ESC combo that I need to do this on as well, and figured I could just use the one harness between both cars.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
20220324_224315.jpg
20220324_224343.jpg

If it were me I would put 6.5 or 8mm bullets on the esc and the use extension cables again with 6.5 or 8mm bullets to get the length you require.!!

Example... here's my MMX8 that has battery wires that are far too short from the factory, so I added 8mm bullets and extension cables with the plugs I needed, plugged them together then heat shrunk the whole thing, that way it can't ever come undone on its own.👍🏼

IMG_0008.jpeg

Ahhh, fatigue was not my friend last night. Looks like I have all the parts needed, just need to shrink wrap them as permanent. I was thinking of making these removable across two systems but the last thing I need is a broken connection floating around.

Screenshot_20220325-103516_eBay.jpg

Dude I hate soldering! I'm not bad at it I just always feel like its a big production just to start. I actually have a back log of stuff to do....Hey you wanna......NVM lol.
No! Not really looking foward to this. Gonna make this one right 1st, then I have a second one to redo. Ugh.

Dude I hate soldering! I'm not bad at it I just always feel like its a big production just to start. I actually have a back log of stuff to do....Hey you wanna......NVM lol.

No! Not really looking foward to this. Gonna make this one right 1st, then I have a second one to redo. Ugh.
That’s quite funny because I like soldering and would happily do everybodies 😉
Shame we live on the other side of the world…

That’s quite funny because I like soldering and would happily do everybodies 😉
Shame we live on the other side of the world…
Agree 110%
It's not that I'm bad at it its just the setup production. I do have a new set of helping hands still in the package so this time around at least I have something newer to aid the project with......Yea I know I'm reaching :ROFLMAO:

Agree 110%
It's not that I'm bad at it its just the setup production. I do have a new set of helping hands still in the package so this time around at least I have something newer to aid the project with......Yea I know I'm reaching :ROFLMAO:
I just got a set up that has 4 articulating arms on a wide base. Been using a bench vice up til now.

I thought I was ok at soldering, until recently that I tried soldering 10awg wire to XT90 connectors and I just couldn't. Ming you, I was using a 40W soldering iron with a small tip, so I bought myself a 60W soldering station which came with thicker tips, a bit better but still not great.
So I don't know if it's just that I'm terrible at it, or do I need like a 200W soldering iron....

I do all my soldering with 60w iron..
It's all in the prep, make sure you use good quality solder and some sort of flux and tin everything before you make the actual solder join.
I've soldered everything from 26awg wire right upto 8awg without issues (y)
Only exception is if I'm soldering 8mm bullets or 6.5mm motor bullets, I then use a mini blow torch as it's much easier than using an iron.

10awg adaptors I made for a friend :cool:

IMG_3695.jpeg

I do all my soldering with 60w iron..
It's all in the prep, make sure you use good quality solder and some sort of flux and tin everything before you make the actual solder join.
I've soldered everything from 26awg wire right upto 8awg without issues (y)
Only exception is if I'm soldering 8mm bullets or 6.5mm motor bullets, I then use a mini blow torch as it's much easier than using an iron.

10awg adaptors I made for a friend :cool:

View attachment 2419
Yeah I don't know. I do all the prep work etc.... and I have no issues with XT60s and 12AWG and thinner. Maybe that soldering iron I bought is no good.

I thought I was ok at soldering, until recently that I tried soldering 10awg wire to XT90 connectors and I just couldn't. Ming you, I was using a 40W soldering iron with a small tip, so I bought myself a 60W soldering station which came with thicker tips, a bit better but still not great.
So I don't know if it's just that I'm terrible at it, or do I need like a 200W soldering iron....
It's all in the tips yea....
adam sandler golf GIF

Back