Sketer Sketer... Prepped for MMX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterlong75

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos XTR
  2. Sketer
The Sketer is prepped and ready for the MMX install today... assuming the package arrives as scheduled.

I've never run a Castle ESC so I'm interested in how it goes. Downloaded the link software this morning.

Should have time and more comfortable weather after this weekend for first runs.

Nice! I'm willing to bet you'll like the castle, they're a nice system, not sure if you are aware they don't come with the castle link connector though, it'll come with a code to enter on their website to get one sent to you for free so don't get too excited about getting to plug it in right away to see what it's all about

I'd think they would hold fine, I don't own a sketer but believe they run the same diffs as the 1:8 scale? I've got 3 1:8 scale corally's, 2 on 6s and 1 on 8s (soon to be 2) and the only diff issue I've had was my 8s Kronos is an early model that came with the plastic center diff and that got tore up, replaced with the aluminum one and haven't had any problems, I'm not abusive to my cars but I definitely use all the power

So, what happened with the new esc??
The MMX has been really good...my first Castle ESC. Super smooth at lower rpms and never overheated this summer in hot ambient temps. I upgraded mostly to gear up and not worry about getting close to esc limits and this has worked out very well (I only run on 4s). The only downsides are that it's a fairly big unit (although it does fit in the Sketer without the need for any modifications) and I do not like that using the Castle Link requires removing the receiver cable...such a pain in the Sketer, but maybe not as bad in other applications. My Futaba receiver is a squeeze with the receiver box and once it's in without any pinched cables I don't like to mess with it. I wish you could just plug into the fan port like HobbyWing. Overall, very happy and would recommend it without hesitation. I'm looking to add a Kronos XTR to the fleet as a winter project and I'm tempted to get another MMX.

Castle makes a great system, but I agree it can be a pain opening the receiver box everytime you want to adjust or see data logs, I haven't done it yet but a friend built a jumper for his that sticks out the box and just hangs out in the open so it can be plugged in with no effort

Castle makes a great system, but I agree it can be a pain opening the receiver box everytime you want to adjust or see data logs, I haven't done it yet but a friend built a jumper for his that sticks out the box and just hangs out in the open so it can be plugged in with no effort
I like the jumper idea...maybe close to the esc itself? Sounds like another thing to add to the winter to-do list.

Castle make a Y lead for this exact reason.. (y) https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-creations-castle-link-quick-connect-cse010-0079-00/p177606
Or you could get the B-link :unsure: ( I think it works with this esc ) https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-creations-b-link-bluetooth-adapter-cse011-0135-00/p764913

Do you need the (expensive) Castle lead or will some sort of generic Y lead do the job (if so then link please)

I have a MMX and motor combo on the way for the Radix.

Any old jr lead will work, just repin it to the esc lead at the receiver, a lot less clutter too, and chances are you've probably got a jr lead laying around on an old broken servo

Or you could just buy some premade y splitters, think this pick was a set of 4 for like $8, come with 2 of each type, the upper one would be the one you'd use

Screenshot_20221122-072541.png

yeah just been looking on Ebay but they all seem to have one female and two male connectors, I think I need two female one male?

Many have asked for something like a Y connector that gives an open lead for easy Castle linking, but a traditional Y harness doesn't work when the other branch of the Y is connected to an RX, the signal line must be disconnected from the RX.

Castle Quick Connect does just that. It detects the presence of a Castle Link adapter on the free lead and switches the controller's signal line from the RX to the Castle Link. Easy as that.

Anything is possible but a friend is just running a y and it works perfectly fine, car has to be powered off obviously, but never been an issue, hence the reason it's on my list of things to do. But that said his is several years old so maybe something is different there? Maybe by chance its just his particular receiver that allows it, can't say for sure. I definitely started questioning it after reading your post so messaged him to verify and he responded he's just using a y, probably one of those stick with what's guaranteed to work things and get the quick link

Last edited:
if anyone wondered, the RPM cage for the MMX fits perfectly and even picks up two existing holes in the battery/esc tray.

Back