Skatepark = Squashed Shock Body

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterlong75

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos XTR
  2. Sketer
I rarely go to the skatepark to bash, but I hit one today that was nearby and recently built. Despite the decent spring weather it was empty of skaters, scooters and bicycles (yay for me!).

I managed to break a shock piston on the Kronos XTR following a big-air double backflip (not a big deal). With the Sketer, I nailed a vertical steel bar at a good clip with the front suspension. The shock tower didn't bend, but the shock body got shoved against the bracing around the diff housing with enough force that the shock body is now oval-shaped. The shock shaft bent as well.

The pic makes it look like it was just the collar that was squashed, but it took a hammer to convince the shock shaft and piston to get out.

PXL_20240505_190046768.jpg

In 30 years of RC I've never managed to squash a shock body. Luckily had all the parts at home to fix it up and be ready for another run (not at a skatepark) next weekend.

Oh yes, skateparks are huge fun but quite unforgiving places to bash.
Now it's all fixed, you might as well go back for a redemption run. You'll (probably) not break the same thing again.

Seems unlucky. Been on skateparks once in a while myself and all stayed mainly as it should. Even a full speed crash to a metal pole on another location only bent the shaft a bit (besides arms and all split to pieces).

I rarely go to the skatepark to bash, but I hit one today that was nearby and recently built. Despite the decent spring weather it was empty of skaters, scooters and bicycles (yay for me!).

I managed to break a shock piston on the Kronos XTR following a big-air double backflip (not a big deal). With the Sketer, I nailed a vertical steel bar at a good clip with the front suspension. The shock tower didn't bend, but the shock body got shoved against the bracing around the diff housing with enough force that the shock body is now oval-shaped. The shock shaft bent as well.

The pic makes it look like it was just the collar that was squashed, but it took a hammer to convince the shock shaft and piston to get out.

View attachment 6011

In 30 years of RC I've never managed to squash a shock body. Luckily had all the parts at home to fix it up and be ready for another run (not at a skatepark) next weekend.
That’s wild! I usually break lots of arms but and an occasional shock issue but I’ve never encountered that. 🤔

View attachment 6011

I think what you need for that are some strong thighs to roll it between.

Works for cigars, right?! 😝

Back