Shogun Shogun - Thinking about it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeo79

Reaction score
Hey all I'm new to Corallys (mostly drive Arrmas) but I'm contemplating getting the Shogun as I fancy something fresh and the Shogun seems a lot of bang for the buck.

What are peoples thoughts on the Shogun is it a durable car and is there good parts support for it?

How do the electronics and diffs hold up on Corally cars in general? And do they fit standard size 3s lipos like Zeees or gensacearespammers?

Cheersđź‘Ś

Electronics are good, just rebranded hobbywing stuff, I've never had an issue with the servo although I believe some have, I've never used the provided rtr transmitter/receiver so can't comment on those. Diffs are strong, I'm pushing 8s on my one Kronos and zero diff issues, about to go 8s in my radix as well. Durability is a loaded question, just depends how you drive and what you use it for, I've got one I break almost every time I use it and another I've never broken a single part on.

Only real drawbacks I've heard or experienced are diff cups wearing prematurely and suspension arms aren't the strongest (Arrma are stronger IMO). With a buggy, those issues aren't as prevalent as say a truggy or mt..
I'm curious to know if the 22 models will have the swiss spring steel outdrives. The Sketer and XTR are the only 22 models to hit US soil thus far, and both are equipped with those, so IDK. The swiss parts can be bought, around $120 to replace all the cups..

Parts availability is decent in the US. I have only broken steer links so far on my XTR. I replaced them with some HPI links I had laying around. I think in terms of durability that Arrma and TRX are still ahead of TC overall, but the TC has proven tough enough for my use. I have the TC electrics in my XTR as well as an older Thunder Tiger truggy, they rip! Handling is where I find the XTR shines over my Kraton EXB. The steering is just so much sharper. Neither is a racer mind you, but I do feel the XTR is more nimble than my Kraton. Not sure how the buggies compare.
I have to say that TC offers what I feel is the best bang for the buck currently. Of course Arrma and TRX have better aftermarket support, so that's something to consider.

rchobbyexplosion here in the US has a great selection of Corally parts, and I usually have parts for my Radix6 in three to four days. And the hardware I couldn’t get I could have found if I wanted to spend some time researching them.

Only weak spot to report on my wifes is the Rims / Tires, blown out 2 so far. The thing hauls Butt and is a blast to drive

I blew both front tires on my first pack through the stock shogun last week. The left tire blew off the rim completely and the right tire blew a massive chunk off. After I got the car home I started digging into the diffs, all 3 were bone dry. That I'm sure added to the problem. There wasn't even a little grease / oil in them.
I've since replaced the tires with the method RC teraform tires they make for the Mojave and the shogun is a wild child. That's in a good way! She's fast and nimble. The light weight of the Corally RC's makes them very aggressive. The only issue I noticed is that after about 6 minutes into a run, when I give it gas from a stop the car makes a clicking noise and doesn't move. I have to pull the trigger all the way 4 or 5 times and then it will hesitate a little and shoot off. I looked the car all over. I check the mesh of the gears. I verified rocks or something isn't getting stuck in the gears. It really seems like an ESC issue but I have no clue. The car runs perfect up till I get about 5 min into a run.

Last edited:
I blew both front tires on my first pack through the stock shogun last week. The left tire blew off the rim completely and the right tire blew a massive chunk off. After I got the car home I started digging into the diffs, all 3 were bone dry. That I'm sure added to the problem. There wasn't even a little grease / oil in them.
I've since replaced the tires with the method RC teraform tires they make for the Mojave and the shogun is a wild child. That's in a good way! She's fast and nimble. The light weight of the Corally RC's makes them very aggressive. The only issue I noticed is that after about 6 minutes into a run, when I give it gas from a stop the car makes a clicking noise and doesn't move. I have to pull the trigger all the way 4 or 5 times and then it will hesitate a little and shoot off. I looked the car all over. I check the mesh of the gears. I verified rocks or something isn't getting stuck in the gears. It really seems like an ESC issue but I have no clue. The car runs perfect up till I get about 5 min into a run.
I've just bought a Shogun in a sale they have here in the UK. Did you ever find out what your issue was?

Back