Kronos XTR Rocket RX 4292 1780KV Motor -Quest 4 Quickness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horatio

Reaction score
1000012595.jpg

So it begins, in the quest for more speed and better 0-60 times, here's my 4292 1780KV motor. I'm hoping I can fit it without risers or too much fettling of the side guards. I don't want to raise the CoG or mess the handling up.

This motor won't give me more speed unless I gear it up, which will require moving the motor outwards towards the sideguard. I'm guessing it could easily go up 3 or 4 teeth, given that it's a 4200 watt motor.

I have no numbers for the torque. Being a longer motor than the Kuron 825, it should have significantly more. If I can get this torque to the ground, I hope to beat my 0-60mph times. I want to beat 3.79 seconds. Sub 3 seconds would be awesome!

Limitations are traction Vs power wheelies. I'm not going to cheat and change the length of the rig or add a giant dragster wheelie bar either!

1000012596.jpg

PXL_20231106_151635836.jpg

It's mahoosive.

Specs according to manual:

1000012598.jpg

Edit: 1780 not 1750 and to add additional photos.

Last edited:
I've got 3 or 4 of those V2 rocket motors, I'm very happy with them, you'll be able to fit it right in with no messing about, I've got 2 of those 4292's in corally's and they clear everything, well the one in the asuga I had to trim the side guard but the kronos was a drop in. Keep us posted with how she runs, curious how the torox esc is gonna react with it

I've got 3 or 4 of those V2 rocket motors, I'm very happy with them, you'll be able to fit it right in with no messing about, I've got 2 of those 4292's in corally's and they clear everything, well the one in the asuga I had to trim the side guard but the kronos was a drop in. Keep us posted with how she runs, curious how the torox esc is gonna react with it
That's reassuring to know. It's a big old beast isn't it! I'm extremely keen to give it a blast, but the motor is rated for a maximum of 150a - the same as the Torox, so scary close to the.....'performance envelope'. 🤣

I ran/run a 4092 off of a Max8 and the Torox has more power than that, so you'll be fine..👍🏼
Currently my Kronos has a 4082/Max6 in it, just so I can keep temps down and run no extra fans..!!

Thinking about it I even run a TpPower motor off of another Torox, so it's a good esc.

Last edited:
I ran/run a 4092 off of a Max8 and the Torox has more power than that, so you'll be fine..👍🏼
Currently my Kronos has a 4082/Max6 in it, just so I can keep temps down and run no extra fans..!!

Thinking about it I even run a TpPower motor off of another Torox, so it's a good esc.
Good strategy - I have a tendency to cook motors, so....🙏🤞

1000012605.jpg

It's not a huge difference in size, but it's quite a difference in rated power compared to the Kuron.

As you can see, the Kuron 825 on the left - low mileage, one careful lady owner from new....😝

I wouldn't mind betting these motors are rolling out of the same factory.

1000012606.jpg

1000012607.jpg

1000012604.jpg

Rig looking pretty clean since it's last wet run. Still haven't fitted the HD hubs. I suppose I'm waiting for the original ones to break, but it's not happening the way I use the rig. 😅

Last edited:
No issues whatsoever fitting this long version of the Kuron 825. It's in.

I just had to be careful re-fitting the dual fans/heatsink. If it's too far forward, it fouls the centre diff rear output drive.

1000012609.jpg

All work overseen by PJ.

1000012608.jpg

Making herself comfy on my tools! 🤣

I have the 1650kv variant of this motor. It's a beast for sure, generally speaking, too much for my use. I can't get enough traction off road for it, maybe that's a good thing?
I've run it behind a Max6 and a vxl8s, on 6s. No issues with either esc handling it. Batteries are a different story, they get quite warm. I only own cheap batteries from amazon though so, not surprised. Not to derail but, ever notice that the Kuron 825 and Arrma BLX185 are literally identical with the exception of color and cables?🤷‍♂️

C-54055.jpg

ARAG2000_A0_O409UW86.jpg

Now that the motor is fitted, I'm keen to give it a blast. 0-60 times are going to be tough this time of year, but if I gear up a couple of teeth, I reckon I'll beat my top speed. Even in this damp, chilly weather. 🤞🙏

Now that the motor is fitted, I'm keen to give it a blast. 0-60 times are going to be tough this time of year, but if I gear up a couple of teeth, I reckon I'll beat my top speed. Even in this damp, chilly weather. 🤞🙏
0-60? Or top speed? Both?
You can definitely get more of both from the 4292. Not knocking the Kuron of course, it's good, but nothing special in my experience.
My rigs, zero to 60 in..never!!🤣🤣
Good luck brother!!👍😎🍻

Do it!

Looking good 😊👍 Glad that PJ the cat is inspecting your handiwork before you take it out for a run. The rocket motor looks like a beast, at 4,2kW it should propel the truck very nicely!
For 0-60, gear for a max speed just beyond 60mph to make sure you keep max acceleration, but then a degree of "throttle finesse" will be needed to keep the front wheels on/near the ground.
I'm next out on Friday, 6s speed run (with proper logging this time), followed by 4s BMX track (breakages and fence impacts permitting😬)

I have the 1650kv variant of this motor. It's a beast for sure, generally speaking, too much for my use. I can't get enough traction off road for it, maybe that's a good thing?
I've run it behind a Max6 and a vxl8s, on 6s. No issues with either esc handling it. Batteries are a different story, they get quite warm. I only own cheap batteries from amazon though so, not surprised. Not to derail but, ever notice that the Kuron 825 and Arrma BLX185 are literally identical with the exception of color and cables?🤷‍♂️

View attachment 4764

View attachment 4765
Those motors are pretty similar. But the Corally motor is faster. No one has given an explanation as to - why? It's a mystery. 🤣

Those motors are pretty similar. But the Corally motor is faster. No one has given an explanation as to - why? It's a mystery. 🤣
I have both, haven't noticed a difference. However, neither has ever been in the same rig. If I weren't so lazy I'd do a comparison with everything being equal. Actually would be more trouble than worth to me. The BLX has 4mm bullets, Kuron 6.5mm..plus I have no data logging equipment (or desire).
I know everyone says the TC system is faster, IDK, hard to verify honestly. TC rigs run a different gear ratio also, I suspect that has more to do with it. Both systems have been pretty much flawless though.

Looking good 😊👍 Glad that PJ the cat is inspecting your handiwork before you take it out for a run. The rocket motor looks like a beast, at 4,2kW it should propel the truck very nicely!
For 0-60, gear for a max speed just beyond 60mph to make sure you keep max acceleration, but then a degree of "throttle finesse" will be needed to keep the front wheels on/near the ground.
I'm next out on Friday, 6s speed run (with proper logging this time), followed by 4s BMX track (breakages and fence impacts permitting😬)
PJ loves getting involved with RC - whether that be maintenance or operation. By the looks of things, she must find it quite exhausting. 4 hours later and she's still there!!
1000012611.jpg

Good luck with your run. If conditions aren't too wet, I'm going to give it a go. I'd like a few different pinion choices, to tame the torque. Traction is going to be the limiting factor this time of year. That and cold batteries. In some ways, that's better than flames! 🤣

Friday afternoon looks ok, at the moment🤞 Rain in the morning, clear sunshine in the afternoon, coupled with the brisk wind should see the track dry out.
Only 10°C, so should be good for cooling (not cooking) anything 😁

Looking forward to comparing GPS logs👍

0-60? Or top speed? Both?
You can definitely get more of both from the 4292. Not knocking the Kuron of course, it's good, but nothing special in my experience.
My rigs, zero to 60 in..never!!🤣🤣
Good luck brother!!👍😎🍻
Come summer 2024, I'll be shooting for the best 0-60 time. It's hard and requires several things to go right. Zero chance in cold, damp yucky conditions. More hp makes it even harder.

For top speed, I'm trying to beat 64mph, but Jeffwazz is apparently hitting 80+ mph already, whilst negotiating a bend. So, I clearly need to up my game! 😝

Corally reckon 65mph is possible on the 13/52 gearing, so with more torque/power overall on taller gearing, I reckon I can smoke my PB top speed - even in the cold. Guess we'll see very soon. 🤞😁

Friday afternoon looks ok, at the moment🤞 Rain in the morning, clear sunshine in the afternoon, coupled with the brisk wind should see the track dry out.
Only 10°C, so should be good for cooling (not cooking) anything 😁

Looking forward to comparing GPS logs👍
Good luck buddy - let's compare! I'm in West Wales, so weather will be similar to Bristol.

Yes - during this experimental phase, air cooling may help. 🤞😎

Last edited:
I'm confident of the 50+ mph on 4s result, and on 6s it certainly isn't slow, comparable to the Arrma Vendetta with the speed gearing that was putting in 130kmh runs. I never thought that speed running could be so addictive!!

Dang, you guys are making me wanna join in on the fun, I actually slowed all my corally's down, asuga is the only one running 8s anymore and I've only got it geared for 60mph, switched to a different platform for my "speed" car which isn't really that fast either, it should easily hit triple digits in mph but once I do I plan on slowing it down too, it just gets too expensive trying to go faster and faster

I have to say, it's very addictive trying to go faster. I get it.

But what I'm really looking for is quickness, not just high speed. For that I need to find traction, torque, battery power. None of that will count for anything without control and finesse.

With the right ratio, torque settings, geometry etc - I think it's possible to get to 0-60mph in 3 seconds.

I'd like to think my rig can hit 70mph, but without having to gear up massively.

I need to get hold of some mod 1 pinions - 12, 14, 15, 16. 24 hour delivery option - should have them Friday morning.

Friday is going to be the day. 😁

Hopefully PJ will let me have my tools back by then!

1000012611.jpg

I have to say, it's very addictive trying to go faster. I get it.

But what I'm really looking for is quickness, not just high speed. For that I need to find traction, torque, battery power. None of that will count for anything without control and finesse.

With the right ratio, torque settings, geometry etc - I think it's possible to get to 0-60mph in 3 seconds.

I'd like to think my rig can hit 70mph, but without having to gear up massively.

I need to get hold of some mod 1 pinions - 12, 14, 15, 16. 24 hour delivery option - should have them Friday morning.

Friday is going to be the day. 😁

Hopefully PJ will let me have my tools back by then!

View attachment 4769
I'm excited to see some times! One of these days I'll have to mess with the 0-60 stuff, all I've ever used my gnss for is top speed, I'm sure my asuga could post some very impressive times but I know first hand I could never match your previous times posted with a truck, my finger doesn't move with that much precision!

Back