Pinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Fring

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Radix
  2. Sketer
Hi all... was curious what brand pinions are recommended outside of corally OEM pinions. Any suggestions?

Hi all... was curious what brand pinions are recommended outside of corally OEM pinions. Any suggestions?
I just picked up a handful of Yeah Racing in pinions. Looks like decent quality but haven't long enough for an informed opinion. Putting a 15 in the Sketer tomorrow...will report if I run into any issues.

I just picked up a handful of Yeah Racing in pinions. Looks like decent quality but haven't long enough for an informed opinion. Putting a 15 in the Sketer tomorrow...will report if I run into any issues.
Looking forward to your report!

Installed the 15 tooth Yeah Racing pinion in the Sketer today. Man, what a difference! I only ran it on 3S so far but I'm impressed (probably shipping with at least a 14 as stock would have been a good move). Motor (no fan or heatsink) was noticeably warmer but never got over 125 degrees, although it was only between 45 and 50 degrees outside. I suspect on 4S this summer a fan or two will be required running gear. I'm not used to Corally design so felt like I was poking around in the dark figuring out how to install the pinion and adjust the mesh...a quicker job next time, I hope!

Only one run on the Yeah Racing pinion but all seems good so far. Under $6 for harden steel is kind to the wallet.

Installed the 15 tooth Yeah Racing pinion in the Sketer today. Man, what a difference! I only ran it on 3S so far but I'm impressed (probably shipping with at least a 14 as stock would have been a good move). Motor (no fan or heatsink) was noticeably warmer but never got over 125 degrees, although it was only between 45 and 50 degrees outside. I suspect on 4S this summer a fan or two will be required running gear. I'm not used to Corally design so felt like I was poking around in the dark figuring out how to install the pinion and adjust the mesh...a quicker job next time, I hope!

Only one run on the Yeah Racing pinion but all seems good so far. Under $6 for harden steel is kind to the wallet.

I guess yeah racing is out given the issue you posted about?

I use Tekno or Robinson Racing hardened steel pinions in my 1/8 RC vehicles. The Tekno pinions have larger diameter grub screw, which gives better bite onto the motor shaft. They also have larger socket heads so you can tighten them down with a larger hex driver.

Finally got around to testing out the Tekno 15t pinion today. Ran two full packs and no signs of premature wear at all...looks promising to me! I'll update later if I run into any problems.

Finally got around to testing out the Tekno 15t pinion today. Ran two full packs and no signs of premature wear at all...looks promising to me! I'll update later if I run into any problems.
I got a tekno 15 tooth too but I'm not going to put on my sketer. Even with the 13 tooth and a fan I'm pushing 170 degrees... so I'm guessing it's pretty much maxed out. I might try the 15 tooth on my radix

I got a tekno 15 tooth too but I'm not going to put on my sketer. Even with the 13 tooth and a fan I'm pushing 170 degrees... so I'm guessing it's pretty much maxed out. I might try the 15 tooth on my radix
If you are getting such high temps I think you might have something in your drivetrain that is binding. I suggest you pull the motor away from the spur gear and check things out without the motor being engaged with the rest of the drivetrain.

I was pushing 175 today...but that was on 4s, the 15 tooth and without a heatsink or fan. Was about 50 degrees outside. Trying out a heatsink & fan soon... hopefully later this week.

I was pushing 175 today...but that was on 4s, the 15 tooth and without a heatsink or fan. Was about 50 degrees outside. Trying out a heatsink & fan soon... hopefully later this week.

I run sketer on 4s only lol. I've read in a lot of places people feeling the sketer kinda ran hot... thereby limiting the ability to gear up to some extent. I have checked the wheel / drivetrain resistance when i rebuilt the diffs recently - had to replace the spring steel cups. Rolls fine and quietly. I've also done the wheel bearings once already too.

I think I'm gonna try a heatsink too or perhaps a heatsink with fan. My current fan is the corally fan mounted on the side as they recommend. I don't think it's a good place for the fan for cooling. I may remove it and replace with thr heatsink/fan combo. My guess on the sketer running hot is it's just heavy. I kinda wish they spec'd it with the turox185/kuron 825 6s combo. I'd run it on 4s just to keep things cool. Although I have a 6s radix where I thought I'd run 4s only but actually only run on 6s lmao

It's so much better with the 15 tooth...way more air control and just the right amount of wheelie. I have the parts in the mail to widen it out. Assuming I can get temps under control, the Sketer may be perfect (aside from that ugly body...plain hideous).

It's so much better with the 15 tooth...way more air control and just the right amount of wheelie. I have the parts in the mail to widen it out. Assuming I can get temps under control, the Sketer may be perfect (aside from that ugly body...plain hideous).

I really like the body lol... mainly because it's so unique!

Back