Kronos Newbie with a question about Torox ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Apex

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, just turned 38 years old and I live in the Netherlands.

I have two sons, and as the oldest is like really into RC cars, I have recently upgraded him from a 1/10 scale beginner monstertruck from Amewi to a Corally Kronos XP.
While on it, and as I got offered two (used) pieces in a deal, I got one for myself as well.

It seemed like quite the bargain, but in the meantime I understand why. As I have ridden local championships with 1/10 scale electric 4wd off-road cars a very long time ago, I though I would have some knowledge to determine the condition of the cars, but these cars nowadays are just simply a little different to the Tamiya Top Force evolutions or the Losi XX4's I had back then (sorry, I do not have them anymore). So I have spend a small truckload of money to get them running decently again, and one of the chassis is now enforced with the Extreme Chassis bracket as well.

When I though I was ready with the mechanical part of the cars, the electronics did not really seem to like me anymore, I might have overheated a Kuron 825 while driving through loose sand with stock gears (allthough on 3s in my sons car), so at first that one was killed and replaced with a Hobbywing EZrun 4268 2500KV motor. The local RC shop adviced me on this motor as it is more rigid than a Hobbywing 2050KV or 2200KV motor they had on stock, but due to the higher RPM I have changed from 13 to a 12t pinion.

The car (this one running on 4S) seemed to handle the additional speed and power pretty well, it still spins the tyres at every speed so it does not feel like it had to work to hard to get it running. I did notice both the ESC, motor cables and motor running quite hot but there are fans all over the place, and it kept running fine (for like 4 batteries now).

Yesterday, the car suddenly started to switch on and off during a ride on dusty and hard sand, I opened up the body and noticed the ESC Switch was smoking, and bubbling, so that one melted down. I cut the ESC Switch out of it and soldered the red wires together as well as the white and black one as I saw people did with the hobbywing ones on youtube.

It seemed to work fine, but when I just wanted to go for a ride, it started up, gave the motor a stutter when I gave it a little throttle and it suddendly did not do anything anymore, except for running the fan. So the Fan still runs, it provides power to the receiver and servo (as both are still operating) but there is no ESC LED anymore, when I reconnect the battery it gives no acoustic feedback on lipo cells or motor, there still is no LED, and it simply does not work anymore.

I understood these rebranded Hobbywing 8S's are like really bombproof, So I am really hoping I did not kill it (my wife will probably kill me).

Am I doing anything wrong here, or does anyone have some suggestions what I could do to solve this (I have no ESC Programming card btw).

Thanks in advance!

So... FYI. Apparently the new G2 motors from Hobbywing are no good fit with the older (non G2) ESC's. I have just been to another Modelsports shop who has informed me that combination would definitely not last. According to them, the motor definitely is a good fit for the Kronos.

I have now puchased a Max8G2 ESC from them, which works again... Hopefully it lasts for a bit now....

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, just turned 38 years old and I live in the Netherlands.

I have two sons, and as the oldest is like really into RC cars, I have recently upgraded him from a 1/10 scale beginner monstertruck from Amewi to a Corally Kronos XP.
While on it, and as I got offered two (used) pieces in a deal, I got one for myself as well.

It seemed like quite the bargain, but in the meantime I understand why. As I have ridden local championships with 1/10 scale electric 4wd off-road cars a very long time ago, I though I would have some knowledge to determine the condition of the cars, but these cars nowadays are just simply a little different to the Tamiya Top Force evolutions or the Losi XX4's I had back then (sorry, I do not have them anymore). So I have spend a small truckload of money to get them running decently again, and one of the chassis is now enforced with the Extreme Chassis bracket as well.

When I though I was ready with the mechanical part of the cars, the electronics did not really seem to like me anymore, I might have overheated a Kuron 825 while driving through loose sand with stock gears (allthough on 3s in my sons car), so at first that one was killed and replaced with a Hobbywing EZrun 4268 2500KV motor. The local RC shop adviced me on this motor as it is more rigid than a Hobbywing 2050KV or 2200KV motor they had on stock, but due to the higher RPM I have changed from 13 to a 12t pinion.

The car (this one running on 4S) seemed to handle the additional speed and power pretty well, it still spins the tyres at every speed so it does not feel like it had to work to hard to get it running. I did notice both the ESC, motor cables and motor running quite hot but there are fans all over the place, and it kept running fine (for like 4 batteries now).

Yesterday, the car suddenly started to switch on and off during a ride on dusty and hard sand, I opened up the body and noticed the ESC Switch was smoking, and bubbling, so that one melted down. I cut the ESC Switch out of it and soldered the red wires together as well as the white and black one as I saw people did with the hobbywing ones on youtube.

It seemed to work fine, but when I just wanted to go for a ride, it started up, gave the motor a stutter when I gave it a little throttle and it suddendly did not do anything anymore, except for running the fan. So the Fan still runs, it provides power to the receiver and servo (as both are still operating) but there is no ESC LED anymore, when I reconnect the battery it gives no acoustic feedback on lipo cells or motor, there still is no LED, and it simply does not work anymore.

I understood these rebranded Hobbywing 8S's are like really bombproof, So I am really hoping I did not kill it (my wife will probably kill me).

Am I doing anything wrong here, or does anyone have some suggestions what I could do to solve this (I have no ESC Programming card btw).

Thanks in advance!
Hi, that's quite a bummer. It's always a gamble with used cars, too bad not everyone sells RC's in good condition.

I'm not quite sure if i understand you correct but are you trying to use a burned ESC?

Yes, unfortunately both of them were in bad condition, allthough the electronics worked fine in the beginning.

The ESC Switch burned 🔥 (I thought it was just the switch), when I cut off the switch and soldered the wires together ot worked fine until it got a little resistance on the wheels and it stopped immediately, so apparently the ESC itself was damaged as well.

I now got a brand new Max8 V2 ESC (the one with sensorwire)

Yes, unfortunately both of them were in bad condition, allthough the electronics worked fine in the beginning.

The ESC Switch burned 🔥 (I thought it was just the switch), when I cut off the switch and soldered the wires together ot worked fine until it got a little resistance on the wheels and it stopped immediately, so apparently the ESC itself was damaged as well.

I now got a brand new Max8 V2 ESC (the one with sensorwire)
Ah ok, so you are good now?

The north is good. Amsterdam is in the north. In the 80’s to 90’s it was my favourite place on earth. Then it became too overrun with English idiots

Back