New friend joined the line up! šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCB-MN

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kagama
  2. Kronos XTR
Morning everyone!

I had a few days of downtime last week so I threw together our newest friend!

Habao Hyper SSTE

IMG_2884.jpeg

IMG_2889.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

I did end up using the TC electronics and the rest is pretty much stock except I have upgraded to the aluminum braces, added wheel extensions to accommodate the tires and I have some stiffer springs on the way.

Iā€™m going to play with the car as it is for a few runs and see how it goes but Iā€™m guessing some diff work and suspension changes but over all Iā€™m really impressed for a fairly reasonable priced kit. I guess we will see how it runs, after all that counts for almost everything.

I threw in a couple of pictures of it next to one of the Kagamaā€™s (Kronos Body) for size comparison. It definitely sits much lower than the Kagama, even with the backflips but it really seems to handle well! Iā€™m actually quite impressed and hopefully it will hold up and crazy fast, even on 4S.

IMG_2882.jpeg

IMG_2885.jpeg

IMG_2886.jpeg

Anyway, Iā€™ll get it out and try get some video clips in the next week or two and a 6S run. I will also list out everything Iā€™ve used.

Happy driving everyone! šŸ›»šŸ›»šŸ›»šŸ›»

Wow...nice! That Hobao was the first truggy I was looking to get a couple years back. I read that the arms can be a little too flexy and the dogbones/CVDs kinda thin, so that kinda turned me off. Definitely curious to hear your take on it, though.

She's definitely looking nice! The Kronos looks like an absolute bruiser, the Hyper looks low-slung and mean! šŸ™Œ

Wow! Sweet paint job, looks awesome!! Sounds like the Hobao is the old traditional truggy width? The 1/8 basher truggies we've become accustomed to are really wide by comparison..such as Kronos, Kagama, Kraton.. I guess the Hyper is likely race spec width. I have a Thunder Tiger MT4 that is much narrower than the current bashers too. Nice job! It's gotta rip with the TC system in it, I know my stuff does. I have the TC combo in a Tekno ET48 , no need for 6s..ever.šŸ˜ŽšŸ¤˜šŸ»

Morning KA,

I believe it comes with what I would consider a standard or narrower width, however that seems to be ever changing. I did throw some 10mm extensions on so she sits a little wider.

Overall, I would definitely say that itā€™s not built for a skate park or shooting to the moon but itā€™s damn fast and handles much better than I anticipated. They just opened a new park down the street with 4 baseball fieldā€™s, 6 soccer fields and 4 football fields. I literally have miles of well groomed open grass fields just down the street so I wanted something that I can use over there. Fast, fun and makes you smile!

I do have some tracks fairly close to me and there are a dozen skate parks within 15 minutes but thereā€™s something to be said for just going down the street.

You can clearly see the difference in material, especially compared to a Kagama. 2 different beasts with 2 different missions.

IMG_2939.jpeg
IMG_2944.jpeg
IMG_2941.jpeg

IMG_2942.jpeg
IMG_2945.jpeg

IMG_2943.jpeg

Sounds awesome! I live pretty rural, not much around for less than a half hour drive. I have the local school which has nice fields an such. I have a small track in the woods on my property that my brother and I made. That's where I do most all my bashing. The Hobao sounds perfect for some track time. We have literally dozens of rc's between us, mostly bashers that we race each other with. Enjoy!!šŸ‘

Sounds awesome! I live pretty rural, not much around for less than a half hour drive. I have the local school which has nice fields an such. I have a small track in the woods on my property that my brother and I made. That's where I do most all my bashing. The Hobao sounds perfect for some track time. We have literally dozens of rc's between us, mostly bashers that we race each other with. Enjoy!!šŸ‘

Hi Everyone, I just couldnā€™t pass up the afternoon, first time weā€™ve had sunshine in 2 weeks. I only had 4S with me but I wanted to see how they would run flat out on 4S on the soccer field. Only 34c here today. Cold, fairly frozen and firm ground, basically mid winter so I didnā€™t go too crazy.

Anyway, bone stock Kagama running 4S and SSTE 4S, same pinions, same motor, same ESC, same batteries. Kagama has stock servo and stock tires, SSTE has Corally CS 5016 servo and Arrma BF lpā€™s.

Both topped out around what felt to be about the same speed. Kagama was definitely a bit more ā€œrollyā€, flipped her a few times but the power is crazy and the SSTE definitely needs some stiffer springs but I couldnā€™t flip it even if I tried. Anyway, overall they both ran very well. Back home to clean up and to start making adjustments.

IMG_2959.jpeg

Got a little dirty! Time for a šŸ›

IMG_2960.jpeg

The Hobao SSTE is a fine performer - reviews are excellent. šŸ‘šŸ’Ŗ One of the most underrated brands.

Hyper 7 Pro buggies were quite the thing, too. Running up against Mugen MBX5's and doing just fine.

2 team Schumacher drivers I knew got CML sponsored and thus got a team drive for Hobao (OFNA in the US). One of them did really well, winning the BRCA junior championship around 2006 (ish).

1000016319.jpg

2010 Ben Williams was a racer I had many a very, very close race with, in numerous different classes.

Brutal, if in doubt, flat-out - no messing kinda driver.

Dare I say, I introduced him to Nitro buggy racing (and his older brother) and once he drove my WS7 powered MBX4 RR - this happened:

1000016320.png

Spot the World and European champions in this list! šŸ˜Ž

By 2010, he was driving for Xray, but he was with Hobao for a number of years. šŸ‘šŸ’Ŗ

I'm very tempted to modify a Hobao road car for speed runs.

The Hobao SSTE is a fine performer - reviews are excellent. šŸ‘šŸ’Ŗ One of the most underrated brands.

Hyper 7 Pro buggies were quite the thing, too. Running up against Mugen MBX5's and doing just fine.

2 team Schumacher drivers I knew got CML sponsored and thus got a team drive for Hobao (OFNA in the US). One of them did really well, winning the BRCA junior championship around 2006 (ish).

View attachment 5508
2010 Ben Williams was a racer I had many a very, very close race with, in numerous different classes.

Brutal, if in doubt, flat-out - no messing kinda driver.

Dare I say, I introduced him to Nitro buggy racing (and his older brother) and once he drove my WS7 powered MBX4 RR - this happened:

View attachment 5512
Spot the World and European champions in this list! šŸ˜Ž

By 2010, he was driving for Xray, but he was with Hobao for a number of years. šŸ‘šŸ’Ŗ

I'm very tempted to modify a Hobao road car for speed runs.
I've still got one of those hyper 7 pro's, the pro models are getting kinda rare these days

so far Iā€™ve only had it out a few times, the weather is so inconsistent this year. 65f and sunny yesterday and today started beautiful, sunny 45f, nice morning. By noon, 50 mph wind gusts, temp rapidly dropping into the teens and more snow headed my way before 3pm cst, lol, I canā€™t win. By Saturday, upper 60ā€™s and sunny again, I donā€™t get it?

To be fair, the times Iā€™ve had it out, itā€™s been a total blast! šŸ˜šŸ˜.

Itā€™s definitely not built to the same level of ā€œtoughnessā€ as many other vehicles are and I would hate to see it take a really hard hit at speed but for rippin wide open across football fields and just having some fun, it really freakin moves! I got it so cheap I was honestly a little skeptical but in the end itā€™s been worth every penny. Iā€™m running the same tc electronics as the Kagama and it just as fast, just a bit more fragile but it turns like a champ, (new servo time for Kagama, man, I didnā€™t even talk about itšŸ¤). I honestly believe that you could drop just a little $$ into the SSTE and it could really be kinda competitive, itā€™s just not quite there outta the box. That being said, I would definitely buy another if I can get one super cheap again.

It did take me a little while to get the suspension sorted out and ended up adding stiffer springs and changed shock fluids, then she really ran much smoother. I also can only fit the 4000mah batteries in it, the larger 6s are too big but Iā€™ll print out a new battery tray later this week.

Overall, Iā€™m impressed so far.

I've still got one of those hyper 7 pro's, the pro models are getting kinda rare these days
They're very robust. Ben used to rag the tits off his one and he almost always finished the race, no matter how hard he crashed. šŸ˜

He was very, very fast though and he was always the racer I gunned for. It was always 50/50 who would win on the day. šŸ˜…

I miss those days. It was quite a time! šŸ¤©

so far Iā€™ve only had it out a few times, the weather is so inconsistent this year. 65f and sunny yesterday and today started beautiful, sunny 45f, nice morning. By noon, 50 mph wind gusts, temp rapidly dropping into the teens and more snow headed my way before 3pm cst, lol, I canā€™t win. By Saturday, upper 60ā€™s and sunny again, I donā€™t get it?

To be fair, the times Iā€™ve had it out, itā€™s been a total blast! šŸ˜šŸ˜.

Itā€™s definitely not built to the same level of ā€œtoughnessā€ as many other vehicles are and I would hate to see it take a really hard hit at speed but for rippin wide open across football fields and just having some fun, it really freakin moves! I got it so cheap I was honestly a little skeptical but in the end itā€™s been worth every penny. Iā€™m running the same tc electronics as the Kagama and it just as fast, just a bit more fragile but it turns like a champ, (new servo time for Kagama, man, I didnā€™t even talk about itšŸ¤). I honestly believe that you could drop just a little $$ into the SSTE and it could really be kinda competitive, itā€™s just not quite there outta the box. That being said, I would definitely buy another if I can get one super cheap again.

It did take me a little while to get the suspension sorted out and ended up adding stiffer springs and changed shock fluids, then she really ran much smoother. I also can only fit the 4000mah batteries in it, the larger 6s are too big but Iā€™ll print out a new battery tray later this week.

Overall, Iā€™m impressed so far.

Very nice! This thread kinda made me revisit whether or not I should get one, but I ended up with a ET48, so I guess that's the end of the line for the SSTE. :(

They're very robust. Ben used to rag the tits off his one and he almost always finished the race, no matter how hard he crashed. šŸ˜

He was very, very fast though and he was always the racer I gunned for. It was always 50/50 who would win on the day. šŸ˜…

I miss those days. It was quite a time! šŸ¤©

Aye...my Hyper 7 was an absolute tank. And she held her own against a Mugen and an AE. Both were nitros. That was with a Neu 1515 2700KV running on 2S.

I did try running 4S, but the power was unusable. :oops:

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I would call that a rule as well. There was a time that I could sometimes distract my ā€œruleā€ with shiny things and pretty flowers. Nowadays she has leveled up pretty well so I canā€™t get much past her. Just once in a while though, she lets one slip past her, although Iā€™m pretty sure sheā€™s just throwing me a bone. šŸ¦“

Aye...mine almost has me dead to rights. Several years back when I told her that I was meeting up with my good buddy because he wanted to show me some cars, she rolled her eyes. I asked her if she was ok. Then she said "you're going to see Frank, he's going to show you his cars, then he's going to say you should buy one. He's gonna have a car that he's willing to sell and then before you know it, you're back into RCs again."

Aherm. 16-17 cars later, it happened exactly how she called it. I guess you can say I'm kinda back into it again. šŸ˜¬ This old lady of mine seems to be quite perceptive. :oops:

Yeah, they know donā€™t they, they always know.

I did have a very short lived period of joy once I realized that I could leave a few of the rcā€™s partially disassembled, (sheā€™s not going to be bothered counting parts after all). That seemed to work well for a few months. Then, one day out of the blue, a package from Gucci arrived. As cold as ice, she said to me, ā€œweā€™re even. You buy more rcā€™s, I buy more pursesā€.

So I guess Iā€™m kinda good as long as Iā€™m willing to keep the rc/purse ratio up to her satisfaction. šŸ¤£

Aye...mine almost has me dead to rights. Several years back when I told her that I was meeting up with my good buddy because he wanted to show me some cars, she rolled her eyes. I asked her if she was ok. Then she said "you're going to see Frank, he's going to show you his cars, then he's going to say you should buy one. He's gonna have a car that he's willing to sell and then before you know it, you're back into RCs again."

Aherm. 16-17 cars later, it happened exactly how she called it. I guess you can say I'm kinda back into it again. šŸ˜¬ This old lady of mine seems to be quite perceptive. :oops:
LOL! Yeah, they let us think we got one over, only to be used to their advantage at a later date. They always know!! šŸ˜‰ thank goodness my wife values my happiness more than her own, a great woman indeed!!šŸ˜

Yeah, they know donā€™t they, they always know.

I did have a very short lived period of joy once I realized that I could leave a few of the rcā€™s partially disassembled, (sheā€™s not going to be bothered counting parts after all). That seemed to work well for a few months. Then, one day out of the blue, a package from Gucci arrived. As cold as ice, she said to me, ā€œweā€™re even. You buy more rcā€™s, I buy more pursesā€.

So I guess Iā€™m kinda good as long as Iā€™m willing to keep the rc/purse ratio up to her satisfaction. šŸ¤£
That's a fair trade. I tell ya, I'm the luckiest guy ever, my wife doesn't buy anything for herself. She gets her hair done once a month, but that's about it. She's the type that would rather buy for someone else. A selfless person indeed. I'm blessed.

LOL! Yeah, they let us think we got one over, only to be used to their advantage at a later date. They always know!! šŸ˜‰ thank goodness my wife values my happiness more than her own, a great woman indeed!!šŸ˜

That's a fair trade. I tell ya, I'm the luckiest guy ever, my wife doesn't buy anything for herself. She gets her hair done once a month, but that's about it. She's the type that would rather buy for someone else. A selfless person indeed. I'm blessed.

Perhaps that has been my error. I think that I'm usually a step ahead. Oh man...that one day she walked into the spare room (where I do all my wrenching and keep most of my hobby stuff) and looked around. "Hm? What's that one? That one is new. And what's that one over there? The one that has a box on top of it. Is that new too?" :oops:

I told her that one of them was acquired in a trade for some batteries and that the other one I was working on for a friend of mine. She just said "Mm." :eek:

Perhaps that has been my error. I think that I'm usually a step ahead. Oh man...that one day she walked into the spare room (where I do all my wrenching and keep most of my hobby stuff) and looked around. "Hm? What's that one? That one is new. And what's that one over there? The one that has a box on top of it. Is that new too?" :oops:

I told her that one of them was acquired in a trade for some batteries and that the other one I was working on for a friend of mine. She just said "Mm." :eek:
Mm means, i need you to by me a purse šŸ¤£ With mine that works....sometimes šŸ˜‰

Back