Mugen / Team Associated familiarity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:oops: This reminds me of a Celine Dion (a friend told me) song: "It's all coming back, coming back to me now!" :ROFLMAO:

Not only the blast from the past RCs and the overnight charging, but scouring the paper in the Classifieds section for any juicy morsels that may have been hidden. My favorite haunts were the yardsales or the moving sales; you'd always find something that you didn't need but had to have. I was always glued to the RCs. Heck, I even bought a plane that ran on nitro. No controller, just a string. :unsure: Apparently you held the string and it would fly in circles above your head. Yeah, that's exactly what an 11yr old needed; roaring engine with a prop spinning fast enough to give you a bad haircut. I didn't understand until later what nitro was. I tried putting regular gas in it and of course that was the end after I figured a lighter would help it start. :oops:

I'll bet that Nova ran like stink. The current crop of nitro pan cars are wicked; their predecessors I'd imagine weren't slouches either.
That Nova was a proper racing car, with double wishbone suspension, monocoque chassis and anti-roll bars. It was still light and stiff, had excellent traction and the Webra .20 was a very high revving (well - it was until it broke!).

Pre-brushless, there wasn't really anything RC faster than 1/8th circuit - in a straight line or around a track.

I never checked the speed, but calculated approximate speeds to be around 60mph using a stop watch and 2 lines marked 25 yards apart. Under 1 sec. Would have been faster with a better 8 port engine, 2 speed and higher nitro content. I reckon 80mph would have been possible.

To think that you can get an RTR truck to exceed that speed now....🤨🙏 It's crazy.

Erm - control line aircraft are inherently dangerous. Exactly why the FAAFO generation felt attracted to such things. 🤣👍

Anyway, what's a centre parting and a little blood loss - it's all good, character building stuff! 😝

Can you imagine the lawsuits in this day and age?!

That Nova was a proper racing car, with double wishbone suspension, monocoque chassis and anti-roll bars. It was still light and stiff, had excellent traction and the Webra .20 was a very high revving (well - it was until it broke!).

Pre-brushless, there wasn't really anything RC faster than 1/8th circuit - in a straight line or around a track.

I never checked the speed, but calculated approximate speeds to be around 60mph using a stop watch and 2 lines marked 25 yards apart. Under 1 sec. Would have been faster with a better 8 port engine, 2 speed and higher nitro content. I reckon 80mph would have been possible.

To think that you can get an RTR truck to exceed that speed now....🤨🙏 It's crazy.

Erm - control line aircraft are inherently dangerous. Exactly why the FAAFO generation felt attracted to such things. 🤣👍

Anyway, what's a centre parting and a little blood loss - it's all good, character building stuff! 😝

With some of the “Darwinism Indicators” as my father called them, that we had at our disposal growing up, it is truly amazing that so many of us made it. However, most of us have at least one battle scar, just to prove that we lived through it.

IMG_3485.jpeg

Had these! 😊

IMG_3486.jpeg

These too! 😁

IMG_3490.jpeg

Had a whole bunch of these!!🤗

IMG_3489.jpeg

Wanted these too, but dad knew better. 😢

Aye, I could guess that it was a not a basher kit. That thing doesn't look too far removed from today's pan cars. I had a RC10L, but my godson decided to commandeer it. Ah well; another enthusiast has been born. 😁 I still miss that car, though. Looking at the 1/12 and 1/8 pan cars, those things are razors around a track. I have respect for the touring cars, but a pan car has it's own special allure. I still have my Atom 2; that one I'm going to run on 2S whenever we find a nice enough place to have onroad racing again. I also have my Sakura 64; that little bugger went around 56-57 mph when we last measured it in the 132ft strip.

And you're right. It's an amazing time to be partaking in the hobby. Everything has advanced pretty good and the cars are dangerously fast nowadays. Speaking of dangerous, yes, that's what they were called: control line aircraft. I suppose it's a good thing I never got it running. Or maybe my dad knew what it was capable of and just never got it running on purpose so that I don't walk back into the house with an aircraft up my arse. :oops:

Lawsuits. Yep. A whole bunch of them could be avoided with a little more common sense, methinks. :D

With some of the “Darwinism Indicators” as my father called them, that we had at our disposal growing up, it is truly amazing that so many of us made it. However, most of us have at least one battle scar, just to prove that we lived through it.

View attachment 5695

Had these! 😊

View attachment 5697

These too! 😁

View attachment 5698

View attachment 5696

Oh yes. It's amazing how not more of us fell victim to the thinning of the gene pool. Lawn darts especially. I remember one time I got my hands on the water hose and I started spraying my brothers. They'd get close and then I'd let 'em have it. I was guffawing and having a grand ol time until my oldest brother decided to end the shenanigans with an accurately thrown rock. 🤦‍♂️

I also remember getting run over by my other brother when he was on his bike. I decided to interrupt the festivities by laying down on the road and he proceeded to treat me as a speed bump. Lol.

I also crashed my moped by tboning a car at 30mph. That one I was super lucky.

Yeah...I'm surprised I made it this far. :oops:

Last edited:

View attachment 5695

Had these! 😊

View attachment 5697

These too! 😁

View attachment 5698

View attachment 5696

Amazing! 🤣 This really is a trip down memory lane. Control line cars were very, very fast. There some interesting videos of them on YouTube

The 'clack-clack-clack' balls on string took practice and courage! 😅 I remember the bruising they inflicted!

Aye, I could guess that it was a not a basher kit. That thing doesn't look too far removed from today's pan cars. I had a RC10L, but my godson decided to commandeer it. Ah well; another enthusiast has been born. 😁 I still miss that car, though. Looking at the 1/12 and 1/8 pan cars, those things are razors around a track. I have respect for the touring cars, but a pan car has it's own special allure. I still have my Atom 2; that one I'm going to run on 2S whenever we find a nice enough place to have onroad racing again. I also have my Sakura 64; that little bugger went around 56-57 mph when we last measured it in the 132ft strip.

And you're right. It's an amazing time to be partaking in the hobby. Everything has advanced pretty good and the cars are dangerously fast nowadays. Speaking of dangerous, yes, that's what they were called: control line aircraft. I suppose it's a good thing I never got it running. Or maybe my dad knew what it was capable of and just never got it running on purpose so that I don't walk back into the house with an aircraft up my arse. :oops:

Lawsuits. Yep. A whole bunch of them could be avoided with a little more common sense, methinks. :D

Oh yes. It's amazing how not more of us fell victim to the thinning of the gene pool. Lawn darts especially. I remember one time I got my hands on the water hose and I started spraying my brothers. They'd get close and then I'd let 'em have it. I was guffawing and having a grand ol time until my oldest brother decided to end the shenanigans with an accurately thrown rock. 🤦‍♂️

I also remember getting run over by my other brother when he was on his bike. I decided to interrupt the festivities by laying down on the road and he proceeded to treat me as a speed bump. Lol.

I also crashed my moped by tboning a car at 30mph. That one I was super lucky.

Yeah...I'm surprised I made it this far. :oops:
Lawn darts - crikey! Giant darts for children to play outside with. What could possibly go wrong? 😅

ooh ooh I'm on a waiting list for two or three hernias I have, and I'm quite scared, even though I've been in surgery many times. I'm worried about the after, that I shouldn't bend over, bathe carefully (!) and I don't know what the orthopedists will tell me otherwise.

Now regarding the two brands, I think that because they are aimed at competitors, they have an excessively high price. Kyosho does the same, of course. The companies should at some point understand that it is not right to overcharge the same design for years.
Good luck with your hernia ops. I guess I've got all this kinda stuff to look forward too! 🤞

One of the guitarists I played in a band with had 2 op's for hernias. They ended up patching him with some sort of synthetic material and after a couple of months, he was straight back to lugging guitar amps around, lifting stuff into the back of the bus. That and - consuming beer.😅

Back