Kronos Kronos XP 2021 upgraded vs XTR 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gatsou7

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos XTR
Hey! As I said in my introductory message, I just got a used 2021 Kronos rtr, in very good shape, all stock except for the HD front hubs and new ss diff cups, which, if I understand correctly, already takes care of a few possible issues!

My question is, which upgrades do I need to bring my Kronos to XTR 22 level reliability?
I already want to buy a new clear body for it, the tires are starting to wear... At this point, should I consider simply buying the XTR, put the '21 electronics in it, and keep it for spares, or are many of the xtr upgrades not really worth it? I guess I just want to be sure not to end up buying, in the long run, so many upgrades that it ends up being more expensive than the xtr altogether, the sum of all individual options being very expensive... Thanks for your input!!😉

center tower brace is an option for you, i put one on my xtr. it was kind of a pain in the but

Yes I was definitely considering the tower to tower brace as a priority upgrade, but there is also has the 3 part 7075 chassis brace. Are both necessary? I don't plan to do really hard bashing, but I WILL crash...!😅

I'd say keep the '21. You've already got what I feel is the critical upgrade which is the ss cups. As others have said, the t2t brace is not needed for most users. Big sends, sure, otherwise I'd consider it good as is. The truck is pretty tuff out of the box. I'd suggest investing in spare suspension arms, maybe the upgraded suspension pin plates. TC offers the 7075, also CRCU makes some beautiful bits too. Some like to upgrade the shock towers, but I'm of the opinion that they are somewhat of a sacrificial part. I'd rather bend a tower and straighten it than have it rip right out of the bulkheads and gearboxes.

Thank you! Keeping my Kronos is definitely the wiser choice, especially considering the upgrade you suggest is not really expensive. I don't plan on doing big sends, I'm taking it slow, because this thing is a beast... The previous owner changed the center diff assembly for a 46t one, with an 11t pinion. I like it like that, it's crazy fast and responsive, even though I'll try the 52t with the 13t pinion soon (I think it's the stock setup).

Yeah, up to you of course but I'm not convinced the center brace is needed, at least for general bashing. That's an interesting gear combo the previous owner installed, not sure what the intent was. Maybe just what they had available? If it's happy(not running hot) and you're content, no reason to change I don't think. I do try to avoid small pinions, but only because they tend to wear quicker..less teeth, more revolutions,equals faster wear. Likely a minimal difference though. The TC rigs are quick, especially off the line. Congrats! Hope you get much enjoyment from the XTR🤘😃

He told me is intent was to make the car go faster without popping wheelies as much. I'd say it works, it's stupid fast yet manageable, even on 6s. Still plenty of torque too. He gave me the stock 52t diff assembly, so it's only a 10 min job to switch, pinion included... I'll try and compare!

For clarification, my Kronos in NOT the XTR 2021, but the Kronos v2 2021 ready to run, with the red/blue/white body. It doesn't have any of the upgraded parts (apart from the added HD front hubs and SS cups), like the 7075chassis brace which came with the XTR 2021 before they added even more bracing with the tower to tower brace in the 2022 version. Hence my hesitation to eventually buy the 2022 XTR (I can have it for less than 450€ brand new), as the sum of all upgraded parts between my "regular" Kronos 2021 and the XTR 2022 is not small! The question is, which upgrades are really worth it, and you answered that, maybe having the 2021 XTR in mind though!:unsure:
;)

He told me is intent was to make the car go faster without popping wheelies as much. I'd say it works, it's stupid fast yet manageable, even on 6s. Still plenty of torque too. He gave me the stock 52t diff assembly, so it's only a 10 min job to switch, pinion included... I'll try and compare!

For clarification, my Kronos in NOT the XTR 2021, but the Kronos v2 2021 ready to run, with the red/blue/white body. It doesn't have any of the upgraded parts (apart from the added HD front hubs and SS cups), like the 7075chassis brace which came with the XTR 2021 before they added even more bracing with the tower to tower brace in the 2022 version. Hence my hesitation to eventually buy the 2022 XTR (I can have it for less than 450€ brand new), as the sum of all upgraded parts between my "regular" Kronos 2021 and the XTR 2022 is not small! The question is, which upgrades are really worth it, and you answered that, maybe having the 2021 XTR in mind though!:unsure:
;)
Oh, I see.. my bad. No worries, the standard Kronos is plenty capable too though. In light of that, maybe I would consider either the aluminum chassis braces or the t2t brace. My vote would be the t2t brace.
That's a tougher decision.. I believe there are around $200 worth of upgrades from 21 to 22 XTR.. maybe just get the t2t and see how things go? No harm in just running what you have and wait till you find the need for upgrades? Could save yourself from buying upgrades that aren't really needed. Tough call because we all use these things a bit differently.

Last edited:
Quite a predicament isn't it?:LOL:
I also want to buy a clear body to paint myself (included with the XTR 2022) and new tires will soon be in order too (mine are starting to wear, obviously also included with the XTR) That's another 120/140€ on top of the optional parts. Plus all the spares I's get from my Kronos (arms, screws, driveshafts, body...) which I won't have to buy in the future. Hence my hesitation! Summer clearance sales start tomorrow, if I can pick an XTR 2022 up for even less than 450, it might make my choice easier!

Quite a predicament isn't it?:LOL:
I also want to buy a clear body to paint myself (included with the XTR 2022) and new tires will soon be in order too (mine are starting to wear, obviously also included with the XTR) That's another 120/140€ on top of the optional parts. Plus all the spares I's get from my Kronos (arms, screws, driveshafts, body...) which I won't have to buy in the future. Hence my hesitation! Summer clearance sales start tomorrow, if I can pick an XTR 2022 up for even less than 450, it might make my choice easier!
Sounds like you've got yourself convinced🤣🤣
If you've got the coin, sure sounds like a good plan to me👍🍻

XTR '22 ordered... I'm so weak ...:sneaky:
Cash Money GIF

You won't regret it!!!

Back