Kronos XTR Kronos Dust Guard / Cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeo79

Reaction score
What are people using to keep the dirt and debris out of their vehicles?

I feel like mine is a hoover and gets full of stuff after every run, even though I have a cheap generic ebay dust cover fitted..

I've seen you can get a cover like the one below but not sure if it will be any better than the cheapo dust cover I have

Part number: C-00180-399
1686137233417.png

Personally I think that the corally one would hold in a ton of heat, that would be my biggest concern with it. The mesh or whatever dust covers are your best bet, same material as used on air filter outerwear, very breathable and do a decent job, problem is it's hard to get a 100% seal so debris is always gonna find its way in

yea I did wonder about the heat element. I may try a different brand of dust cover. Maybe find one made specifically for the Kronos

Hmmm, I was looking at these the other day too. I decided that the plastic one just didn't seem sensible as it blocks the air flow completely.

I was gonna get a Dusty Motors one since I had assumed that the fact that it was a mesh would mean it wouldn't restrict the air flow too much.

I'm torn now since I wanted to get one since I believe that my current centre diff issues were caused by a stone getting lodged under there causing it to not mesh properly with the pinion and cause all kinds of havoc. I kind of don't want that to happen again but also want to avoid any overheating issues.
I do have an aftermarket heatsink and dual fans on the motor and I am considering down-gearing from stock on my Kronos, do you think a Dusty would still work fine in this case?

Hmmm, I was looking at these the other day too. I decided that the plastic one just didn't seem sensible as it blocks the air flow completely.

I was gonna get a Dusty Motors one since I had assumed that the fact that it was a mesh would mean it wouldn't restrict the air flow too much.

I'm torn now since I wanted to get one since I believe that my current centre diff issues were caused by a stone getting lodged under there causing it to not mesh properly with the pinion and cause all kinds of havoc. I kind of don't want that to happen again but also want to avoid any overheating issues.
I do have an aftermarket heatsink and dual fans on the motor and I am considering down-gearing from stock on my Kronos, do you think a Dusty would still work fine in this case?
You could try one, they are not that expensive.

I use the dusty motors cover. It works fine.

There are numerous reasons why a rig can over heat, with 2 obvious components that are vulnerable. The motor. And the ESC.

The motor can overheat easily and requires a fan - ideally 2 fans. The ESC already has a fan, but can easily overheat if you overgear, use too big a set of wheels or too much throttle - all of which can be managed.

However - if you run on grass or anywhere with small debris, there is the ever present risk of the debris getting into some/all of your fans. All of which will cause sudden and unexpected failure.

Dusty Motors covers are not air tight. They have minimal affect on airflow, but give you 95% protection from small debris from getting into your fans. That's the only part of the equation that matters if you run off road

If you run in very hot, sterile conditions on asphalt only, you might care about the 0.01% extra airflow by running without a Dusty Motors cover.

I decided against the Corally cover because it prevents 95% airflow. 1 step forwards, 2 steps back.

IMG_20220913_184202.jpg

It makes perfect sense for me. The zip is convenient too. Fits like a glove, but is still easy to plug in the battery, or operate the switch etc.

IMG_20220512_203517.jpg

Also useful on speed runs. Chippings on roads can also easily fry your ESC, your motor fans or gouge away (great song by the pixies!!) at your centre diff.

IMG_20220915_123624.jpg

How else can you guarantee the safety of your fans?

Yep, that was precisely my reasoning for getting one.
Thanks a lot for the info. Is that one a large?

Yes, mine was a large. 👍
IMG_20230609_134307.jpg

Somewhere else on the forum, I posted this size guide:

SizeShroud length*Chassis side length
S
21 cm / 8.3 inches​
20-22 cm / 7.9-8.7 inches​
S+
24 cm / 9.5 inches​
23-25 cm / 9.1-9.9 inches​
M
27 cm / 10.6 inches​
26-28 cm / 10.2-11.0 inches​
M+
30 cm / 11.8 inches​
29-31 cm / 11.4-12.2 inches​
L
33 cm / 13 inches​
32-34 cm / 12.6-13.4 inches​
XL
36 cm / 14.2 inches​
35-37 cm / 13.8-14.6 inches​
XXL
39 cm / 15.4 inches​
38-40 cm / 15-15.7 inches​
XXXL
42 cm / 16.5 inches​
41-43 cm / 16.1-16.9 inches​

Yep, they listed the same size guide on the listing. I only have one of those solid metal tape measures that doesn't bend particular well around the outside of the chassis and I didn't have any string handy so only managed to get a rough estimate of the length. My trusted model shop claims that a large is the required for a Kronos as well so just wanted to be sure. Thanks for confirming :)

Yep, they listed the same size guide on the listing. I only have one of those solid metal tape measures that doesn't bend particular well around the outside of the chassis and I didn't have any string handy so only managed to get a rough estimate of the length. My trusted model shop claims that a large is the required for a Kronos as well so just wanted to be sure. Thanks for confirming :)
The large fits the XTR like it was specifically designed for it. Like a glove.

As with all self adhesive velcro, the chassis guards need to be thoroughly clean before applying it neatly all round the sides.

From time to time, the velcro needs to checked because it can lift.

The chassis shroud saves soooo much cleaning time as well. It's been brilliant IMO.

My guess is that if people have overheating issues using the shroud, they'd have the same (or worse) issues without it. 🤣

Basically - to stop overheating use loads of fans. To stop your fans from getting fried - use a shroud.

If you still get overheating then - sell all your gear to me! 😁

The large fits the XTR like it was specifically designed for it. Like a glove.

As with all self adhesive velcro, the chassis guards need to be thoroughly clean before applying it neatly all round the sides.

From time to time, the velcro needs to checked because it can lift.

The chassis shroud saves soooo much cleaning time as well. It's been brilliant IMO.

My guess is that if people have overheating issues using the shroud, they'd have the same (or worse) issues without it. 🤣

Basically - to stop overheating use loads of fans. To stop your fans from getting fried - use a shroud.

If you still get overheating then - sell all your gear to me! 😁
Okay okay okay, I will try it on my xtr 😝. Have 2 fans on the hw4985 and set the lowest thermal protection for the esc, max 105°C. 🤞

20230609_151627.jpg

Back