How to reset the ESC? Got wet...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mucoff is what i use. It is awesome. No rust sofar šŸ’Ŗ
2nd Mucoff, my mountain bike likes it too!!

IMG_3279.jpeg

I also would give a nod to GtT85 as well but I can never find it here and if I do the shipping is $$$$$$$.

ā€¦ā€¦., and I donā€™t have a special sock. šŸ˜ž

Below is a fairly decent explanation of how wd40 can destroy plastics.

Just like there are many metals, there are many plastics that are very different from one another. Overall, plastics can be divided into two basic groups:

Crystalline: Polypropylene, Polyethylene, Polyester (all types), Nylon

Amorphous: Polycarbonate, Styrenics (including ABS), PVC

The main ingredient in WD-40 is a light kerosene-like mineral oil, which is hydrocarbon based. Amorphous plastics and hydrocarbons donā€™t play well together: hydrocarbons will attack the chemical structure of amorphous plastics, breaking them down - essentially trying to ā€œmeltā€ them. In particular, Polycarbonate (PC) and Polystrene (PS). they are two named plastics on the WD-40 ā€œdo not use on theseā€ list.

Crystalline materials are unaffected by the hydrocarbons in WD-40, you can spray them as much as you wish.
Excellent explanation - cheers!

I think the main thing to remember with WD40 is that it's decent as a water repellent and penetrator (no sniggering at the back!). It's pretty good as a household cleaner.

But - if you use it on your bearings, remember to lubricate them afterwards with a purpose made bearing lubricant or bearing grease - and don't expose your bearing seals to it.

Your bearings 'lubricated' with just WD40 will fail prematurely.

2nd Mucoff, my mountain bike likes it too!!

View attachment 5514

I also would give a nod to GtT85 as well but I can never find it here and if I do the shipping is $$$$$$$.

ā€¦ā€¦., and I donā€™t have a special sock. šŸ˜ž
I've never used Mucoff, but I do see it for sale in model shops.

GT85 is seemingly quite tricky to get hold of outside of Europe. I hadn't realised.

PXL_20230904_103911889.jpg

Here's my old faithful Carrera Fury being traded in for a Carrera Kraken for my wife.

Her GT will then be mine (it was too big for her, even with modification).

1000016336.jpg

20160713_185651_HDR.jpg

Nice rides! šŸš“šŸš“

IMG_2111.jpeg

Unfortunately my Specialized Fuse Comp has been up for a few weeks, disc replacement has kept me off of it, ā€œjust to be safeā€. 2 more weeks, the lb itā€™s time to roll! šŸ‘šŸ‘

Sheā€™s a few years old, just like me!

IMG_2112.png

Iā€™ve heard good things about Carrera but Iā€™ve never been on one. GTā€™s however, Iā€™m ver familiar with. My plan is to buy a new ride next year and do a conversion on my Comp6, they make great e-bikes.

Johnny nerd out has a nice build of one.

This oneā€™s pretty nice too

The wide 2.5+ tires make it a great option.

Last edited:
Got a tube of gt7 that i use right now. Shiuld check for 85 next time as well.

Isn't it just Teflon spray in the end with PTFE?

Last edited:
Got a tube of gt7 that i use right now. Shiuld check for 85 next time as well.

Isn't it just Teflon spray in the end with PTFE?
GT85 is actually produced by WD40, but it does lubricate as well clean, penetrate and disperse water.

I still use WD40 for certain jobs, but GT85 is by far the most useful for RC, bikes and car interiors.

GT85 - Home Page

Nice rides! šŸš“šŸš“

View attachment 5518

Unfortunately my Specialized Fuse Comp has been up for a few weeks, disc replacement has kept me off of it, ā€œjust to be safeā€. 2 more weeks, the lb itā€™s time to roll! šŸ‘šŸ‘

Sheā€™s a few years old, just like me!

View attachment 5519

Iā€™ve heard good things about Carrera but Iā€™ve never been on one. GTā€™s however, Iā€™m ver familiar with. My plan is to buy a new ride next year and do a conversion on my Comp6, they make great e-bikes.

Johnny nerd out has a nice build of one.

This oneā€™s pretty nice too

The wide 2.5+ tires make it a great option.
Doh! Now I need to try and make an electric bike!! šŸ˜…

Doh! Now I need to try and make an electric bike!! šŸ˜…
Lol, There is no try option we always succeed!

Ebikes are a trip and they are pretty easy to build, I highly recommend your own conversion. I think you get a lot more bike that way. Many ebikes in the US are good, but many are inferior and way more expensive than a conversion. I'm looking at around $800-900USD, that would be the same build that Johnny did above, nit bad at all considering I can pick up a good used Fuse for under $500 USD. Kinda like rc's, find what you like and see what the local shops carry for parts, then buy what you want.

I do warn you all, ebikes are addictive and you will find yourself wanting to ride it all the time.
āœŒļøšŸ˜€

Some good info here. (y) WD40 I use to either clean bearings or penetrate (healthily sniggers in the back) stubborn bolts. For heavy duty penetration (šŸ¤) I use PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil.

Also some very nice looking bikes! Way back I had a GIANT Brass 1, and then I graduated to a Glory Comp. Sold them both, and then several years back picked up another DJ and a GIANT Faith. Haven't rode either of them, of course. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

I've just stumbled on this thread and looks like I'm gonna need to stop buying WD40 :S. I've been using it for years on everything.

I've just stumbled on this thread and looks like I'm gonna need to stop buying WD40 :S. I've been using it for years on everything.
WD stands for water displacement. It was the 40th version of the formula they tested. Itā€™s great for removing water, not as good as a lubricant like some people think.

I think I threw this up previously but I couldn't find it so I apologize in advance for duplicating.

ā€œJust like there are many metals, there are many plastics that are very different from one another. Overall, plastics can be divided into two basic groups:

The main ingredient in WD-40 is a light kerosene-like mineral oil, which is hydrocarbon based. Amorphous plastics and hydrocarbons donā€™t play well together: hydrocarbons will attack the chemical structure of amorphous plastics, breaking them down - essentially trying to ā€œmeltā€ them. In particular, Polycarbonate (PC) and Polystrene (PS). they are two named plastics on the WD-40 ā€œdo not use on theseā€ list.

Crystalline materials are unaffected by the hydrocarbons in WD-40, you can spray them as much as you wish.ā€

I think I threw this up previously but I couldn't find it so I apologize in advance for duplicating.

ā€œJust like there are many metals, there are many plastics that are very different from one another. Overall, plastics can be divided into two basic groups:

Crystalline materials are unaffected by the hydrocarbons in WD-40, you can spray them as much as you wish.ā€
This is interesting - I remember the first time you posted this. It's interesting because the first and most obvious thing likely to be damaged by WD40 is the body shell.

I've been reminded time and time again that whilst WD40 is great at dispersing water and freeing up seized locks and rusty mechanisms - it's not ideal in bearings, because it has poor lubricating properties - especially in high speed bearings.

O-rings and seals can swell when in contact with WD40, so people need to be mindful of that.

I remember when I raced my Schumacher Axis at Nationals, I - along with some other team drivers - used WD40 to soften the belts on the 4WD system. It made a big difference, especially in 27t and 19t classes.

I used to do this on my CAT 3000, too.

I'm all about GT85 now, but I still use WD40 for rusty things. šŸ‘

Back