Kronos XTR Horatio's XTR Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PXL_20230809_181107917.MP.jpg

Battery A is the Onyx 6S Graphene.
Battery B is the Gens 6S

I did this test several times and Onyx consistently displayed lower internal resistance.

PXL_20230809_181627526.jpg

The Onyx is near enough identical in length to the Gens. The Onyx is rated 5400mah. The Gens 4500mah.

PXL_20230809_181650961.jpg

Positive and Negative wires exit in one corner on the Onyx, where as with the Gens, they exit at opposite corners.

I noticed the Onyx was on 53% charge on arrival, so I put it into storage mode. Over an hour later, the battery was still on 40% charge, so it's definitely going to take longer to deplete this battery.

How this equates in real world terms, I have no idea - but we're going to find out tomorrow. ⚡🤞

Gens Vs Onyx using stock electronics and 13t pinion.

Place your bets, please gentlemen!

0-60 times.

Top speed.

Closest guess wins.......bragging rights of the thread! 😎

View attachment 4417
Battery B is the Gens 6S

I did this test several times and Onyx consistently displayed lower internal resistance.

View attachment 4418

The Onyx is near enough identical in length to the Gens. The Onyx is rated 5400mah. The Gens 4500mah.

View attachment 4419

Positive and Negative wires exit in one corner on the Onyx, where as with the Gens, they exit at opposite corners.

I noticed the Onyx was on 53% charge on arrival, so I put it into storage mode. Over an hour later, the battery was still on 40% charge, so it's definitely going to take longer to deplete this battery.

How this equates in real world terms, I have no idea - but we're going to find out tomorrow. ⚡🤞

0-60 times.

Top speed.

I bet on black, always!!😉😎🤣🤣🍻

View attachment 4417
Battery B is the Gens 6S

View attachment 4418

View attachment 4419

0-60 times.

Top speed.

I can't say for 0-60, but I'll guess you'll have 1 less volt of voltage sag so you'll pick up about 2000rpm which should be good for around 2-3mph so.......65mph

Well after work today, getting stuff ready for my long weekend to Edinburgh and the Cairngorms, I decided to pop to my favourite speed run strip.

In true Blighty fashion, as soon as I got there, it pissed down with rain.

Given the deteriorating weather, I decided to run the 6S Onyx pack first. I made a couple of half throttle passes in an attempt to get some heat into the tyres, but it was hopeless.

PXL_20230810_183241566.jpg

It passed mildly moist quite quickly and getting the savage power from the Onyx Graphene pack down was very challenging. My first couple of passes were sub 60mph so I chucked all the gear back into the car and waited for a bit, otherwise the transmitter risked being damaged.

The rain stopped briefly, so back out I went. Fed the horses a couple of extra strong mints first. Did a couple of hoons to dry the tyres as much as I could. Then this happened:
Screenshot_20230810-193631.png

⚡💯 Insane 0-60mph time.
Inspired by this, I checked the motor temp and got this:
Screenshot_20230810-194410.png

Not what I'd hoped for, but it was faster than my speed run last year. 🤓
Screenshot_20230810-195038.png

Still no joy. Slippery as hell.

Low voltage cut off not working on the Onyx 6S, so when I felt the battery getting softer, I brought it in. Battery was on 0% and 19.2 volts.

Over to the Gens. The wind was beginning to dry off the strip. I got this 0-60mph time:

Screenshot_20230810-201908.png

Considering my best with this pack last year was 4.28 seconds, I was very happy with that.

Then this:

Screenshot_20230810-201740.png

I was never going to beat the Onyx time, even with the improving conditions. So, one last speed run.

Screenshot_20230810-202148.png

Wait, what? 64mph on the Gens in the wet!!! 🙄🤣

The Onyx has more to give. In dryer conditions I think I could hit >65mph. Perhaps I should have taken it out 2nd! 😝

PXL_20230810_184831870.jpg

Screenshot_20230810-201740.png

Screenshot_20230810-201908.png

Last edited:
There will be better days to try again, I'm surprised you were able to hit that 0-60 time to be honest, I figured it would be a handful keeping the front end down to get a decent time, good job!

There will be better days to try again, I'm surprised you were able to hit that 0-60 time to be honest, I figured it would be a handful keeping the front end down to get a decent time, good job!
The main problem was not lighting up the tyres on the moist tarmac and heading at a high rate of knots into the kerb! 🤣

As conditions improved, you can see the tyres were lifting slightly in the curve. All the 0-60mph times were full throttle runs, but it had to be fed in progressively to avoid total loss! 😆

Another interesting factor were with the tyres. They grip well in the dry and are belted, so don't balloon.

But .....the inserts have a gap between the tread and the insert. If you leave them weighted, the tyres develop flat spots that take a few runs to resolve. Even though all 4 wheels/tyres are balanced precisely, I could quite audibly hear the the flats, which gradually eased with successive passes.

I'd love to see/hear from anyone with their 0-60mph times.

I've got a feeling 3.79 secs is good. Anyone hear care to try their luck? 💪🤞😝

Another interesting factor were with the tyres. They grip well in the dry and are belted, so don't balloon.

But .....the inserts have a gap between the tread and the insert. If you leave them weighted, the tyres develop flat spots that take a few runs to resolve. Even though all 4 wheels/tyres are balanced precisely, I could quite audibly hear the the flats, which gradually eased with successive passes.

I'd love to see/hear from anyone with their 0-60mph times.

I've got a feeling 3.79 secs is good. Anyone hear care to try their luck? 💪🤞😝
I would but I don't have anything comparable, my xtr is for sale so won't use it, kronos is sitting as a roller right now, jambo to backflip happy to even attempt a decent time and my other 3 corally's are buggies, 2 of which are 8s so I can't really give you any apple to apple comparisons

I would but I don't have anything comparable, my xtr is for sale so won't use it, kronos is sitting as a roller right now, jambo to backflip happy to even attempt a decent time and my other 3 corally's are buggies, 2 of which are 8s so I can't really give you any apple to apple comparisons
It would be interesting to see 0-60 times on different rigs too. 💪👍 Go for it!

1000019110.jpg
1000019111.jpg

First RC job at my new home - XTR Shock maintenance.

Bizarrely, one of the front shocks had a loose cap and lost some oil. As I had the car apart, I checked the levels of both the shocks and topped them up using Sworkz 600 CPS.

I know people seem to break these - but I find them pretty smooth and consistent. They look nice too! 😁

Last of the interior work (for now) complete - new stairs & landing carpets:

PXL_20240503_105618007.jpg

PXL_20240503_105630825.jpg

PXL_20240503_105812018.jpg

I think we're done now! 🤞🙏🤣

Last edited:
View attachment 5970View attachment 5971
First RC job at my new home - XTR Shock maintenance.

Bizarrely, one of the front shocks had a loose cap and lost some oil. As I had the car apart, I checked the levels of both the shocks and topped them up using Sworkz 600 CPS.

I know people seem to break these - but I find them pretty smooth and consistent. They look nice too! 😁

Last of the interior work (for now) complete - new stairs & landing carpets:

View attachment 5973
View attachment 5974
View attachment 5975
I think we're done now! 🤞🙏🤣
So this is still the XTR from 21? Dang dude, I won't even post pics of what my 21 XTR looks like these days, LOL. Yours looks like new still!!
Hey, don't you dare leave that coffee mug on that window sill!! She already knows you set it there..naughty naughty!! 😉😜🤣🍻

So this is still the XTR from 21? Dang dude, I won't even post pics of what my 21 XTR looks like these days, LOL. Yours looks like new still!!
Hey, don't you dare leave that coffee mug on that window sill!! She already knows you set it there..naughty naughty!! 😉😜🤣🍻
Yes - it's the same one! 🤣 I clean it after every run.

Dang dude! Well spotted - you're right - I better get that shifted ASAP. Angry celt will kick my ass otherwise! 😅

Back