Hobao question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCB-MN

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kagama
  2. Kronos XTR
Hey all, I was offered a smokin deal on a HoBao Hyper SSTE, the kit version. I’m faily sure that I’m going to take it for the price, (under 250 US), if nothing else it will probably be a blast to build.

I’m far less familiar with HoBao and while I know of them, I’ve never used their rigs. Many of the reviews online are positive but most stated a need to throw away the wheels/tires and just simply go with what you like personally.

I’ve got an extra Kuron 825 / Torox 185 laying around so I was thinking that I could use that but I’ll still need to select a servo so any input I could get from you all more “servo” knowledge people would be awesome and very much appreciated! Also, if there is anything that I should seriously consider upgrading straight away or any suggestions that you all have would be great as well.

No plans to launch this one into space, (got Kagama’s for that), just wide open areas, general driving, maybe some speed runs down the road.

Thanks again everyone, it’s current -6 Fahrenheit at my house this morning. Yeah winter. 🙁

-C

IMG_2805.png

good choice! with the kuron/torox combo on 14t it goes like hell :devilish:
you may consider a little more coarse tires.
IMG_1342.jpeg

but keep in mind: this is a truggy, not a stunt vehicle 😁

p.s.:
IMG_1180.jpeg

good stuff, strong AND fast!

Thanks O, thats kind of what I was leaning towards using for a servo anyway so I’ll give it a shot.

I believe that I have at least one extra set of backflips laying around and a couple of sets of belted tires that I really want to try out as well. Might try some extenders as well, maybe 10mm.

lol, I figured that the 825 would make it get up and really move. I’ve got some hardened 12t-17t, but I kind if figured that 14t-15t would be the sweet spot. Every time I go larger than 15 on the 825 I seem to get too hot, too fast, (although they were also on very heavy rc’s). I’ll probably try and run 200k center, maybe 50k rear and 30k front and see how it goes.

How do you like the shocks?

Again, I’m not going to launch it, mostly golf course and open fields. I’ve got a couple of cars already built to be as tough as possible so I figured that I would try to make this into a nimble and quick off road monster. 👹

Hey all, I was offered a smokin deal on a HoBao Hyper SSTE, the kit version. I’m faily sure that I’m going to take it for the price, (under 250 US), if nothing else it will probably be a blast to build.

I’m far less familiar with HoBao and while I know of them, I’ve never used their rigs. Many of the reviews online are positive but most stated a need to throw away the wheels/tires and just simply go with what you like personally.

I’ve got an extra Kuron 825 / Torox 185 laying around so I was thinking that I could use that but I’ll still need to select a servo so any input I could get from you all more “servo” knowledge people would be awesome and very much appreciated! Also, if there is anything that I should seriously consider upgrading straight away or any suggestions that you all have would be great as well.

No plans to launch this one into space, (got Kagama’s for that), just wide open areas, general driving, maybe some speed runs down the road.

Thanks again everyone, it’s current -6 Fahrenheit at my house this morning. Yeah winter. 🙁

-C

View attachment 5088
Looks like a decent Truggy for very little money - £265 in the UK. 😁😎

Hyper 7's and 8's buggies were super durable in the nitro buggy class when I raced 1/8th.

It's light, which helps with performance and lighter rigs generally make less of a hole when they tumble wumble.

With a Kuron 825 in there, this thing will be ballistic on 4S - let alone 6S.

What's the drive train made of? Better check the gears etc.

Scratch that - looking at a number of YouTube videos, this rig looks to be tough as old boots! 😎👍

I don't think you need to worry. It's being hailed as a 'Sledge Killer' by certain folk, which can only be a good thing. And for a fraction of the cost. 👍💪

Scratch that - looking at a number of YouTube videos, this rig looks to be tough as old boots! 😎👍

I don't think you need to worry. It's being hailed as a 'Sledge Killer' by certain folk, which can only be a good thing. And for a fraction of the cost. 👍💪
Sludge killer eh? Hmm. I am definitely interested in owning a Hobao at some point. My brother has the Sludge..says it burns when he pee's. Don't sound like anything I want! LOL. Sludge killer? Yes please!!🤣

Thanks O, thats kind of what I was leaning towards using for a servo anyway so I’ll give it a shot.

I believe that I have at least one extra set of backflips laying around and a couple of sets of belted tires that I really want to try out as well. Might try some extenders as well, maybe 10mm.
with the backflip tires you'll need them.
I personally prefer lighter tires (approximately 250g each)
lol, I figured that the 825 would make it get up and really move. I’ve got some hardened 12t-17t, but I kind if figured that 14t-15t would be the sweet spot.
According to the fact that the SSTe is quite light, you can easily go up to 16t, I chose 14 because this pinion was in the box :giggle:
I’ll probably try and run 200k center, maybe 50k rear and 30k front and see how it goes.
Same as I have, doing fine! even with 200k it hardly keeps the front wheels on the ground…
How do you like the shocks?
The shocks are great, just left them as they were.
The suspension is just good!

Well then: have fun!!

What's the drive train made of? Better check the gears etc.
Actually it's considered to be one of the best. Hobao even offers special "spider diffs" which should be even more stable (for a steep price 🥺), but so far everything has been holding on well, much in contrary to the brand with the big "A"

Last edited:
with the backflip tires you'll need them.
I personally prefer lighter tires (approximately 250g each)

According to the fact that the SSTe is quite light, you can easily go up to 16t, I chose 14 because this pinion was in the box :giggle:

Same as I have, doing fine! even with 200k it hardly keeps the front wheels on the ground…

The shocks are great, just left them as they were.
The suspension is just good!

Well then: have fun!!

Actually it's considered to be one of the best. Hobao even offers special "spider diffs" which should be even more stable (for a steep price 🥺), but so far everything has been holding on well, much in contrary to the brand with the big "A"
I've been very impressed with the reviews and videos on YouTube. It looks like a light, nimble and durable rig. This rig at £265!!! It's only £20 more than a 1/10th scale Kyosho Turbo Scorpion 🦂 re-re. Talk about bang for your buck! 💪😎

Edit to add: And you get to build it - which for many of us is a major bonus!!

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. 🙏. At the very least, this should be a lot of fun.

So, I bought the kit for $245 brand new. I figured that for $245 US, just can’t pass it up. I’ve seen the ARR version for as low as $340.00 US so I’m probably getting from around $100 off.

Everything else has been ordered or I have it in house already. I’m not going to upgrade too much from stock straight away, I kinda want to see how it feels. I’ve got a variety of pinions, gears, diff fluids, shock, oils and springs so I should be able to play with it quite a bit.

I am a little worried about keeping the front end down, I’ve even seen some people running 500k center fluid so it might be interesting but I enjoy figuring out what runs best.

Planned electronics are below, it should be fast! 😈

I’ll add a build list and some photos when life slows down for a minute and I have a chance.

Torox 185 esc
Kuron 825 motor
TC CS-5016 servo
FG4RSv2

Peace all, keep your sticks on the ice!

Sludge killer eh? Hmm. I am definitely interested in owning a Hobao at some point. My brother has the Sludge..says it burns when he pee's. Don't sound like anything I want! LOL. Sludge killer? Yes please!!🤣
😂😂😂😂

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. 🙏. At the very least, this should be a lot of fun.

So, I bought the kit for $245 brand new. I figured that for $245 US, just can’t pass it up. I’ve seen the ARR version for as low as $340.00 US so I’m probably getting from around $100 off.

Everything else has been ordered or I have it in house already. I’m not going to upgrade too much from stock straight away, I kinda want to see how it feels. I’ve got a variety of pinions, gears, diff fluids, shock, oils and springs so I should be able to play with it quite a bit.

I am a little worried about keeping the front end down, I’ve even seen some people running 500k center fluid so it might be interesting but I enjoy figuring out what runs best.

Planned electronics are below, it should be fast! 😈

I’ll add a build list and some photos when life slows down for a minute and I have a chance.

Torox 185 esc
Kuron 825 motor
TC CS-5016 servo
FG4RSv2

Peace all, keep your sticks on the ice!

😂😂😂😂
Please take pictures of your build and post them here! 😅👍 Can't wait to see it.

It's going to be soooo rapid, too. 😎

-C

View attachment 5088
Where are you sourcing it for under $250 USD, I see $345...

Where are you sourcing it for under $250 USD, I see $345...
I got through a local guy that had bought it to build himself a few months back. He’s more into buggy racing and nitro. For whatever reason he decided not to build it so it was just collecting dust. A week or so ago I asked what he wanted and he said $245-250, he would let it go. I asked you all if it was worth it and I got a lot of “hell yeah” responses so I bought it from him. The cheapest I saw online was $340-350.

I got through a local guy that had bought it to build himself a few months back. He’s more into buggy racing and nitro. For whatever reason he decided not to build it so it was just collecting dust. A week or so ago I asked what he wanted and he said $245-250, he would let it go. I asked you all if it was worth it and I got a lot of “hell yeah” responses so I bought it from him. The cheapest I saw online was $340-350.
Got it! Thanks for clearing that up for me, I'm in the market for a new MT/truggy to build a winter basher. For that price it had me doing a double take before I pulled the trigger on a MT410!

You got a bargain. Hobao make good buggies, so it figures the truggies will also be nice.

I feel the need for another build. Once my electronics have arrived for my E-truggy, I'm going to build a Kyosho re-re I think. 😁

Nice! I always had a soft spot for the old Javelin, Optima and Scorpion buggies. I’ve never owned one but the other friends in the group growing up raved about them. I had a Tamiya Brat so I had to endure countless hours of “why” or “how” they always thought Kyosho was awesome. I always just smiled because I honestly didn’t care, I just wanted to have fun with and drive them. I do know that they were days of fun! 🤩 and the guys loved them!

Got it! Thanks for clearing that up for me, I'm in the market for a new MT/truggy to build a winter basher. For that price it had me doing a double take before I pulled the trigger on a MT410!
I can’t argue with a Tekno. I would love to pick up an EB48 at some point myself. Also, there has been a lot of support from local shops for them in the last year in my area, makes it easy to get parts. Don’t get me wrong, you can go blind just walking in from the ridiculous amount of T&A on full display 🧑‍🦯 so it’s nice to see a little more variety showing up.

Last edited:
For that price it had me doing a double take before I pulled the trigger on a MT410!
Kinda sad Tekno downsized the MT410 myself. In some respects it may be a better overall truck but, I can't see spending that much for a 1/10 scale myself. I do have the old MT410 already, as well as an SCT410.3. They're both very fine machines IMO. I actually found myself running around a track more than actual bashing with the MT410, so I swapped everything over to an ET48.3 chassis. Fits my use much better with the longer wheelbase. I use it much more now in it's current configuration. The SCT410.3 is awesome too. I wouldn't mind converting it to an EB48SL though..🤔

Back