Kronos Help diagnosing wobble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormwind

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos
My Kronos has developed what can only be described as a full-on wobble. I am unable to tell exactly which wheel(s) are causing the issue but when driving it slowly down the road it acts like some kind of insect, crabbing its way along like it has legs. What's weird is that if I power through it and go a bit faster, it seems like everything settles down and it doesn't really do it for a while, usually until a fresh battery is installed.

My initial thoughts were that it would be a tyre issue, potentially in need of re-gluing. I have checked over all 4 tyres and can't see any rips, tears or any separation occurring. I have also checked chassis and as far as I can tell that is straight.

I have recently installed the steering link stiffener (the wobble happened before this) so have had a close look at the steering system and everything seems in order there so possibly the issue is in the back end but I do not really know what I should be looking at.

Any thoughts on where else I should be checking would be most welcome.

Been in any water? Could have wet foams in your tires, when you go full rip it'll even out throughout the foam, when it sits it'll puddle in one spot, just a thought.

Cert
Been in any water? Could have wet foams in your tires, when you go full rip it'll even out throughout the foam, when it sits it'll puddle in one spot, just a thought.
Certainly not lately. I noticed this problem a couple of weeks ago. I've been out 2 or 3 times since then and not got them particularly wet. I'd have thought that if the foams were wet they'd have dried out by now.
Is it worth buying a balancer and some putty to try and balance them? I thought that was mostly for racing buggies and didn't really apply much to bashers?

In my experience once their wet they never really dry out, best to tape over the wheel vent holes and vent the tires themselves. Tire balancing is worth it to me, I balance all my tires, most don't find the need to, for bashing it's not needed I just have the equipment so I do it

I'll get my hands on a Dremel and see if venting helps. Thanks for the advice. Judging from the videos I've looked at online around vending it does look like this could be the problem. I'll report back once I've given that a go.

Definitely put some vents in the outside of the tyres.
I had some water trapped in the foams, so bad shake and wobble (water pooling), then getting better with use (guess it spreads it again at high rpm).
I put 4 holes into each tyre to allow the water to spin out. Dremel with a 3mm wood drillbit gave some neat holes.
20230512_191657.jpg
20230512_191715.jpg

I highly recommend balancing your wheels. You'll likely find each wheel will need a minimum of 4g to get them good. I highly recommend golfing lead tape. Use a wheel balancer to find the point opposite the heavy side of the wheel and blutack to find out how much weight you need, get the weight required from a digital balance/scales, and then use the lead tape.

I'm not sure out of balance wheels would explain why your rig is crabbing though? 🤔 Sounds like something is broke.

Back