Radix Corally Radix XP 6S as first RC car, a few questions before pulling the trigger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlazingFast

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The guys over at Armma forums have been really helpful and pointed me towards the Corally Radix XP 6S to buy as my first RC car.

I have a few questions before purchasing if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

• Is the car fully waterproof so I can just blast it down with a hose pipe when it gets filthy? Would I keep the battery in place or remove it when doing so if okay?

• Batteries seem to be a world of their own and I am going down a rabbit hole. To get started should I buy this battery from Amazon 1 x 6s (Zeee 6S Lipo Battery 5200mAh 22.2V 50C RC Battery with XT90 Plug for Airplane RC Quadcopter Helicopter Car Truck Boat Hobby) or should I buy 2 x 3s 5200mAh? Any other recommendations which I can order from the UK and are a safe battery I am all ears.. I am guessing the Zeee batteries will fit okay in a 1x6s or 2x3 s config?

• I know it will depend on the battery and how you drive it but how much runtime can I roughly expect from a 5200mAh battery?

• Do I need skid plates? Anything else I need to get going? (I am looking into a charger now)

I doubt that battery will fit in the tray, I un the Corally 4500mah pack and it's snug.

Yes you need skid plates (I make them, lol) you don't HAVE to have them but they do keep your chassis looking better for longer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17469906...f+9cXF5ob39/w9e51+myjUmJxb|tkp:Bk9SR8aW77LVYA

I can't remember if the stock servo is waterproof but the ESC is, I put a 'water resistant' ecobost servo in mine for a bit more speed and I killed it hosing it down. When the car gets super mucky I now take the servo out as i doesn't take too long to do.

if you really want to run a longer battery the optional big battery tray from Corally fits.

oh and get some good tyre glue, 6S mentalness has a habit of making the tyres let go.

and when you get a charger make sure you get one that will do storage mode.

Last edited:
I doubt that battery will fit in the tray, I un the Corally 4500mah pack and it's snug.

Yes you need skid plates (I make them, lol) you don't HAVE to have them but they do keep your chassis looking better for longer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174699069975?hash=item28ace04217:g:0pYAAOSwGe9gWK7H&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4GAnw50xo/xkvBcoaFvA5OzDCDUVUP1KZx1B+J/oVilcvjorCK0yTdOnma7SaCAazKWaZmxLpDMlVvxwgvnx58lWqz+4GEfjO8sApNW/qkn9gFdO9tg35mffGTZIjWZgllaw+whsvFZIt3jCjABfaN24CGrlT1Mas4/1GNEs9bMGeNva5r3PDiAskTbnT+DlKBg1nmKTXKb9Hgj4nlxM2dc/iiZg9IfcLmsrApMDGrqGYPzvZf6a82ZSCcPsrAQn3XP6DWAHA7A1uNiP7Yf+9cXF5ob39/w9e51+myjUmJxb|tkp:Bk9SR8aW77LVYA

I can't remember if the stock servo is waterproof but the ESC is, I put a 'water resistant' ecobost servo in mine for a bit more speed and I killed it hosing it down. When the car gets super mucky I now take the servo out as i doesn't take too long to do.

if you really want to run a longer battery the optional big battery tray from Corally fits.

Did not realise Corally made batteries, I have found a Corally 4500mah 6s one for £87 so that might be the ticket to do the job!

How much run time do you roughly get from one of those batteries?

I will purchase your skid plates if I go through with this purchase :cool:

Which charger do you use? I am wondering if to get the HOTA D6 plus 300w or something from the ISDT range

If you have the equipment and know how to solder it opens the doors a lot for batteries, finding batteries with xt90 plugs is a bit more limited, I buy whatever and just solder an xt90 on. Personally I'm a fan of running a single battery vs a pair whenever I can. The battery pictured below is an awanfi 5000mah and it fits the radix if you trim the side of battery tray, has to lay flat otherwise it's too tall for the body. Runtimes will vary obviously but most rc's on around 5000mah will yield you in the ballpark of 15 minutes runtime. And as far as "waterproof" goes, I don't trust any manufacturer when it comes to that short of hitting a puddle, I never have and never will take a garden hose to an rc with the electronics on board but that's just me.

Screenshot_20220817-054346.png

Also that awanfi is 138mm long. Not sure exactly what zeee you're looking at but the few I've had were longer batteries and I doubt they'll fit the radix tray.

Powerhobby 5000mah/100c hardcase in my xtr, bigger overall tray than the radix but I'm in the small setting of the tray so that part measures the same

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-063015.png
    Screenshot_20220817-063015.png
    1 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
If you have the equipment and know how to solder it opens the doors a lot for batteries, finding batteries with xt90 plugs is a bit more limited, I buy whatever and just solder an xt90 on. Personally I'm a fan of running a single battery vs a pair whenever I can. The battery pictured below is an awanfi 5000mah and it fits the radix if you trim the side of battery tray, has to lay flat otherwise it's too tall for the body. Runtimes will vary obviously but most rc's on around 5000mah will yield you in the ballpark of 15 minutes runtime. And as far as "waterproof" goes, I don't trust any manufacturer when it comes to that short of hitting a puddle, I never have and never will take a garden hose to an rc with the electronics on board but that's just me.

View attachment 2867

Also that awanfi is 138mm long. Not sure exactly what zeee you're looking at but the few I've had were longer batteries and I doubt they'll fit the radix tray.

Powerhobby 5000mah/100c hardcase in my xtr, bigger overall tray than the radix but I'm in the small setting of the tray so that part measures the same
How easy was it to fit the larger tray? Are there some holes which line up to make life easy?

The bigger tray is a direct bolt in, uses the same mounting holes as the previous tray

there's also a GenAce 4500mah hard case pack that's exactly the same size as the Corally battery.

that's the Corally pack, anything bigger won't go in without trimming or the bigger battery tray.

Oh, and strip and oil your diffs before you run it as they're probably a bit shy of oil.
Thank you!

The corally pack looks the way to go, bonus that it is a hard case as well. From my quick research hard case looks to be the better option compared to soft?

Can not believe how expensive the batteries are!😯

How many batteries do you have out of interest and rotate through when you take it out for a spin? T

The bigger tray is a direct bolt in, uses the same mounting holes as the previous tray
Amazing thanks very much! That opens up battery options if needed

Hard case makes a lot of people feel safer, that said I've never once punctured a soft pack battery however I have busted a few hard cases, never effected the battery just broke the plastic case, I run both, not loyal to either. And yes they are ridiculous price wise!!

I have the Corally pack as previously posted and this one https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/gen...mK_kjxh7VTWR5m4At0WA2Pb2geuNRuFRoCldgQAvD_BwE

I normally charge them both, and immediately put them into storage charge when I get back and they've cooled down.

Yeah they're a stupid price indeed, that's why I am careful with them!

Oh and if you're going to order direct from Corally don't forget to claim your free HD hub set (I assume they're still doing that if the buggies haven't got them on already?)

Here is my radix with the v2 battery tray and two 6200mah zee batteries. Fit really comfortably just as an FYI. These batteries came with deans connectors but I changed all my kit over to XT90 connectors.

20220817_205623.jpg

20220817_205720.jpg

Here is the v1 battery tray with 2 5200mah zee batteries in it, they do fit easily albeit with not alot of spare space. The 6200mah also fit comfortably as the difference in battery size is not that big. My experience with the hardcase zee batteries so far has been really good. I would also recommend the Sky rc d100 charger as it has storage mode, and can charge two batteries at once. Also has a Bluetooth app to look at battery stats whilst they are connected to the charger.

Here is a quick comparison of the v1 and v2 battery trays.

Attachments

• 20220817_210203.jpg
    20220817_210203.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220817_210409.jpg
    20220817_210409.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220817_210735.jpg
    20220817_210735.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220817_211005.jpg
    20220817_211005.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Here is my radix with the v2 battery tray and two 6200mah zee batteries. Fit really comfortably just as an FYI. These batteries came with deans connectors but I changed all my kit over to XT90 connectors.

View attachment 2870

View attachment 2871

Here is the v1 battery tray with 2 5200mah zee batteries in it, they do fit easily albeit with not alot of spare space. The 6200mah also fit comfortably as the difference in battery size is not that big. My experience with the hardcase zee batteries so far has been really good. I would also recommend the Sky rc d100 charger as it has storage mode, and can charge two batteries at once. Also has a Bluetooth app to look at battery stats whilst they are connected to the charger.

Here is a quick comparison of the v1 and v2 battery trays.
Thank you for your efforts with this post very helpful! Looks like a brilliant setup.

Have you used a 6s battery yet?

Thank you for your efforts with this post very helpful! Looks like a brilliant setup.

Have you used a 6s battery yet?
Yes mate, the car came with 2 3s 5000mah batteries, but to be honest I find it too much of a handful on 6s. I use the 3s batteries in my Team Associated Rival MT10 and bought the zee 2s batteries in the pictures off amazon and run the Radix on 4s

I have my first RC track session booked on Saturday so I might take the 6s setup with me then and see how it goes!

Also, I can confirm that I get about 15-20 mins run time from each of those 4s battery setups.

I have the Corally pack as previously posted and this one https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/gen...mK_kjxh7VTWR5m4At0WA2Pb2geuNRuFRoCldgQAvD_BwE

I normally charge them both, and immediately put them into storage charge when I get back and they've cooled down.

Yeah they're a stupid price indeed, that's why I am careful with them!

Oh and if you're going to order direct from Corally don't forget to claim your free HD hub set (I assume they're still doing that if the buggies haven't got them on already?)
Do you find much difference or have a preference between the Corally 6s and the gen ace 6s? Also do you think I could handle a 6s as a beginner?😂

Hopefully going to get everything ordered tomorrow!

I prefer the Corally pack as it has both fat cables coming out of one corner and that seems to make it slightly easier to get the cables tidy. Also it's red. Performance wise there is nothing in it.

Hmm, might be worth dipping your toe in with a 4S pack to start, 6S is pretty mental.

Back