Asuga Collecting ideas for my transformation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XashBE

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Asuga
So the Asuga is nice and all but i initially bought it with an end goal in mind, so let me explain it to you, more knowledgeable people so you can help me out and kindly give me some feedback before i start wasting money ;)

End goal for the Asuga:

- mainly street driving, drifting, power sliding
- speed is not a focus, i rather want really good controllability over high speed any time
- smaller jumps, rather far instead of high (hard landing surfaces)
- medium jumps when on sand, so even if i crash i probably won't have to worry much about breaking anything. But this will be more like a "switch wheels, adjust shocks and be done with it" thing. Focus is on the other things.
- Muraco / Shogun / Talion look
- Style going into this direction (so basically rather low and wide - yes, adjustments have to be made when going into the sand) :
browser_OWuhxnCJgQ.png

What are the tips and recommendations you could give me? Where to start?

Personally i thought it would be a good start to get decent towers to be able to adapt to each situation quickly. Thought about these ones: ADU Racing Store. Heard good stuff about them over at the ArrmA forum.
Then some decent wheels although i have problems finding anything good looking that isn't soft or super soft.
Shocks, do i even need other ones, a part from optics? And should i go hard, soft, medium, just buy a set, only change springs depending on usage?
No other diff needed i suppose?
Motor and ESC should be good to go as well for now (don't wanna invest huge amounts on my first build, can adapt later if wanted/needed)?
Looking for some front mud guards, anyone know of some fitting ones?
Probably getting a 35kg servo, Amazon one for starters. Since i'm a rather careful driver and hate repairing (aka spending money i could use for other things^^) i suppose that's enough for the start?

Anything else i forgot/should do?

Help appreciated ;)

Love the lights! 🔥

I was kinda kicking around the same idea but I was going to use a Spark. I’m excited to see what you come up with! 👍

Last edited:
first off, is that a Talion body on the Asuga? That's looking pretty nice!

your stock towers should be fine, unless the ADU towers are shorter. Shorter will be more helpful for onroad duties. If you're gonna go heavy on onroad, what some people do is they run front shocks in the rear to bring the CoG down.

wheels? go belted. as for durometer, soft should be fine. You can also go for foams and get harder durometer foams, but they'll probably wear faster than the rubber.

shocks - springs are only going to change the ride height. Dampening and rebound are going to be your oil. Technically you can get soft springs and then adjust rideheight and oil for your particular purpose.

motor and esc - stock setup should be fine for now. If you want some real getup and go, I'd recommend a Castle and TPPower setup. Just remember, though: more power needs better batteries. Temps might also rise as well.

mudguards - there's some stock ones for the Asuga. I think those will work a treat. Or you can just cut up some spare lexan you have lying around. That'll work too.

servo - the amazon one should be sufficient for now.

first off, is that a Talion body on the Asuga? That's looking pretty nice!

your stock towers should be fine, unless the ADU towers are shorter. Shorter will be more helpful for onroad duties. If you're gonna go heavy on onroad, what some people do is they run front shocks in the rear to bring the CoG down.

wheels? go belted. as for durometer, soft should be fine. You can also go for foams and get harder durometer foams, but they'll probably wear faster than the rubber.

shocks - springs are only going to change the ride height. Dampening and rebound are going to be your oil. Technically you can get soft springs and then adjust rideheight and oil for your particular purpose.

motor and esc - stock setup should be fine for now. If you want some real getup and go, I'd recommend a Castle and TPPower setup. Just remember, though: more power needs better batteries. Temps might also rise as well.

mudguards - there's some stock ones for the Asuga. I think those will work a treat. Or you can just cut up some spare lexan you have lying around. That'll work too.

servo - the amazon one should be sufficient for now.
That's a Talion with modded Talion body from ArrmA forums. Liked the style.

Aren't the mud guards for rear arm though? Other cars from Corally have em, just not the Asuga. Will check later if they fit front as well.

Sbocks will probably just get changed if i go for another color.

Lower tower might be an idea indeed to change the wideness.

Longer arms would be neat but haven't found any so far the would fit the Asuga. Plus then i would have to change a lot more. But optics would be neat. Hmm 🤔

Hmm...I can't recall if the mud guards are for the rear or for the front. I know Arrma also has some mudguards, but they're kind of short. Probably a little more difficult to position, as the wheels may end up rubbing on them.

Longer arms? I'm not sure which ones would fit.

My Python has been sitting in a corner, unused. My goal was to make it competitive on the track, but I've been focusing on the truggies. I need to either commit to making her worthwhile or sell her off and use the funds for something else. :oops:

If you are planning on running mostly on pavement, the Sweep Racing Road Crushers, which are belted, are a good choice. Here's a pic of them on my Muraco: I use these when I'm running on pavement, and another set of wheels and tires for off road running.

View attachment 5724
Those do indeed look nice.
Sadly it seems hard to get them in the EU and i will probably have to settle with something else.

If you are planning on running mostly on pavement, the Sweep Racing Road Crushers, which are belted, are a good choice. Here's a pic of them on my Muraco: I use these when I'm running on pavement, and another set of wheels and tires for off road running.

View attachment 5724
+1 for the Road Crushers, they are 🔥🔥! I really like the terrain crushers as well! Nice wheels/tires!

I'm inclined to agree with morrjr71. I had a set of GPMs on my 4x4 Rustler that the PO had put on. The pistons did not slide smoothly and the shafts wobbled.

Personally I would go to Arrma shocks or something similar.

Yeah, after checking some more seems they are indeed still bad.
But i want something dark/light grey with a touch of gold, anything that comes to your mind?
Tekno are nice but expensive.

Hrmm. Light grey bodies I think Losi and Tekno have those. Not too sure where you'd find gold collars or gold shock bodies. There's always the option of painting them, but that seems like a rather extravagant venture.

PXL_20240402_102745002.jpg
PXL_20240402_101739627.MP.jpg

Sworkz, Tekno, Kyosho and Mugen shocks are all exceptionally good. The ones pictured above are my Sworkz T2E shocks.

View attachment 5791View attachment 5792
Sworkz, Tekno, Kyosho and Mugen shocks are all exceptionally good. The ones pictured above are my Sworkz T2E shocks.

Was that you i saw with a whole listing of shocks and their weight in some other thread?

These are the standard shocks:
Front Shock Length (mm)117
Rear Shock Length (mm)129

How much difference do you think i can have when buying others? Could i go as short as 90 & 100? Or even lower? And what do you consider the max length on an Asuga as well because when i switch to sand i might have to change them.
Or would it be better to buy decent ones and just adapt them to the survace?

Will check Sworkz, Tekno, Kyosho and Mugen now, getting some general prices for them here in the EU. And also optics, since they have to fit my goal ;)

Thanks for the input.

Was that you i saw with a whole listing of shocks and their weight in some other thread?

These are the standard shocks:
Front Shock Length (mm)117
Rear Shock Length (mm)129

How much difference do you think i can have when buying others? Could i go as short as 90 & 100? Or even lower? And what do you consider the max length on an Asuga as well because when i switch to sand i might have to change them.
Or would it be better to buy decent ones and just adapt them to the survace?

Will check Sworkz, Tekno, Kyosho and Mugen now, getting some general prices for them here in the EU. And also optics, since they have to fit my goal ;)

Thanks for the input.
CCB measured and weighed his shocks, including his recent Tekno ones which is very helpful and provides good reference.

Accordingly, I joined in and included details of Sworkz and Xray Truggy shocks to add to that thread. Perhaps the subject warrants it's own thread - with details of all known shocks being added over time.

There was a thread on another forum with weights of all belted & unbelted wheels/tyres.

With appropriate positioning of the shocks, some suitable bump stops and different rate springs, it would be entirely possible to use shorter shocks - provided the towers have suitable hole positions. If not, the towers would either require modification or changing.

Xray shocks are nice too - but spendy. For shorter shocks, Mugen front shocks are probably the right sort of size.

I still say the smoothest, plush, beautifully designed shocks I've ever seen are the Sworkz T2E shocks - probably a bit on the long side for your requirements. Perhaps their front/rear buggy shocks might be a better length?

I 2nd the Sweeps Road Crushers!

View attachment 5793
Sweeps are surprisingly good tyres and are reasonably well balanced out of the box (bag!).

PXL_20240312_144800777.jpg

I'm using the belted VHT Crushers (slicks) for road use. Good potential for 70-80 mph I reckon. I'm going to find out this spring. 👍

Back