Sketer Center Differential - Hot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgehead44

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently upgraded my Sketer to the 6s system and ran it on 4s for the first time with a 15 tooth pinion. I added a motor fan as well. The upgrades definitely liven the rig's performance. I did a short run yesterday and found the ESC and motor to be cool. However the center diff was very hot to the touch. This is a bit concerning. I definitely want to trouble shoot this issue before I run the truck again.

Any ideas as to what could cause this? Improper spur gear mesh? Low fluid in the diff? Something else? Thank you in advance for your advice!

They do get hot.. fairly normal. I routinely see 170-180f on my Kronos..
Remember, hot to the touch starts around 130f..
Were you using a temp gun?
The Sketer has an aluminium center diff cup I think? I wouldn't be too concerned until it goes over 200f. At which time you might want to change to a thicker fluid. That should help.

Great to know. I'll make sure to use the temp gun next time, to see exactly where it's at. Thank you!

I remember seeing a post on here where a centre diff has got so hot the red anodize had faded. There's a lot of energy going through them, so they do get hot - I'll temp gun mine when I next go bashing, I'm curious now!

I remember seeing a post on here where a centre diff has got so hot the red anodize had faded. There's a lot of energy going through them, so they do get hot - I'll temp gun mine when I next go bashing, I'm curious now!
Yep, @Caleb90 I think? Too hot means too thin a fluid, or low on fluid.

Yes that was me, i kept ripping after the front drive shaft broke.
Ah..well, now we know what not to do!? LOL. Still have the XTR? How bout the Sketer? I'm kinda excited to see what TC is teasing us with (new release).. they keep getting better with each new release so I'm curious to see what is it.🤔😁

Ah..well, now we know what not to do!? LOL. Still have the XTR? How bout the Sketer? I'm kinda excited to see what TC is teasing us with (new release).. they keep getting better with each new release so I'm curious to see what is it.🤔😁
Yeah still have them. Havnt played in a while.. busy doing house projects

Yeah still have them. Havnt played in a while.. busy doing house projects
..yeah, what I should be doing too!!😉😎🍻

We're empty nesters now, life isn't as chaotic these days for me. Take care of business brother, you got plenty of years to bash.👍😉🍻

Back