BEC Voltage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krinfort

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Punisher
I read on a face book post about increasing the BEC voltage from 6V to 7.4V to increase the power of the steering servo.

was this false information or can the servo handle it?

does it cause any other potential failures?

I just have the stock servo, but was worried about the any damage to the receiver.

I'd look up the specs of the servo and reciever to make sure they can handle 7.4v if so your good to go.

What Edough13 said, just check the specs of all components you're powering with it (receiver, servos, lights, etc) and make sure they can handle it. The traxxas TSM receiver is not rated for 7.4v for example, only 6v.

Actually, following up on this thread. The benefits of running the ESC's BEC at 7.4v are well known I think, servo will have more torque and it might even be a bit faster, fans will blow more air keeping things nice and cool, even the receiver might have better reception (speculative).
But what about the downsides of running at 7.4v vs 6v? Will it drain the battery faster? Will it put extra strain in the ESCs components? I'm all ears!

Actually, following up on this thread. The benefits of running the ESC's BEC at 7.4v are well known I think, servo will have more torque and it might even be a bit faster, fans will blow more air keeping things nice and cool, even the receiver might have better reception (speculative).
But what about the downsides of running at 7.4v vs 6v? Will it drain the battery faster? Will it put extra strain in the ESCs components? I'm all ears!

Or more accurately; your avatar pic is all ears. "What, me worry?" 😆

You can always try it, you'll know right away but you might not like the cost...

Well if the equipment you try it on can't handle it you might fry it, Honestly I never worried about it with my planes but the surface side of the house is different.

Well if the equipment you try it on can't handle it you might fry it, Honestly I never worried about it with my planes but the surface side of the house is different.
Oh I see, si you're saying running the ESC's BEC at 7.4v increases the chances of burning it up?

If the RX and Servo can't handle it they will burn or live a short while.

If the RX and Servo can't handle it they will burn or live a short while.
Of course, but assuming receiver, servo, fans etc can handle it, will it put more stress on the ESC's components? Will it drain the battery faster?
The rig on which I have a HV servo has a trx tsm receiver which are only rated for 6v, so I installed a Hobbywing BEC to feed the servo with higher voltage directly. When I get the XTR in a few weeks time I won't have this problem because I'll use a receiver that can handle high voltage, so what I'm wondering is should I look for a servo that has enough torque at 6v, or is it ok to just bump up the voltage and constantly run it like that? Again, assuming the servo and everything else are rated for 7.4/8.4v.

I believe the stock receiver is only rated to 7.2V.

still on my todo list, if it burns out the receiver..... i get to upgrade! win / win!

And? did the standard receiver survive the 7.4v? I looked in the manual and couldnt find that the receiver can or cant handle 7.4v The rest can :)

I run my Sketer at 7.4V without any issues so far … even if the receiver is only spec’d from 4.5 to 7.2V.
3278A095-891B-4DAA-B4AC-CCCDF1335175.jpeg

I was guessing already something like that after reading similar discussions in other forums ... therefore I asked directly the TC-support and here is the answer:

Unbenannt.JPG

Back