Kronos Battery Cut-out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormwind

Reaction score
Corally RC's
  1. Kronos
I've just replaced my broken servo and took the Kronos down to my favourite spot next to the river to give it a full shake-down now that it's finally back in working order.

Ran through a 4S pack fine, no issues. One or two minor tumbles, no jumps, nothing crazy.

Switched to my 6S gensacearespammers pack, was giving it a little rip, grass was a bit higher than I'd have liked but tried to keep it out of there as much as possible, I was being very careful to try not to push it too hard. Eventually got to the river where there are light stones, no grass. Was about to start giving it a proper rip, got to about 50% throttle perhaps when I had complete and utter cut-out from the ESC.
I assumed it was ESC thermal cut-out since I'd run it through some grass to get there. Left it a while although it was only the motor that was hot, not the ESC. Either way, left it 10 minutes or so to cool down. Plugged back in and got nothing. Didn't even get the spark sound when you first connect the battery in the first place.
In a panic thinking that my new ESC had somehow fried itself I tried my depleted 4S battery and thankfully the ESC kicked in just fine. I used my field battery meter on the 6S and go no reading whatsoever. I've just gotten back from lugging the damn thing home again.

Upon getting it home, I've put my mutli-meter on the battery and it's reading 22.0v. That'd be 6 cells at 3.66V each which sounds reasonable. I've also put the leads across each pair of cells on the balance lead and they are all reading 3.7V as expected. When I plug the battery into the charger however, it's only detecting 5 cells on the balance lead and it's behaving super weird when I plug in the main lead. Instead of immediately displaying 22V like the multimeter, the voltage was ramping up from around 3V to about 18V over about 30 seconds. Super weird. I've checked the battery and connectors over for physical damage and couldn't find any and it was super weird how this happened during a steady throttle up on a flat piece of ground.

Is my battery completely ****ed? Any thoughts on why this would have happened in the first place? Is it because I've been lazy/too keen to get back out there and have ran without transferring over the cap pack from my old ESC?

I just encountered the same issue. I don't know the battery brand, but it is only a couple of weeks old and only run about three times. Not abused. On 2 different chargers it only reads 5s and 22v. When I plug it into the Kagama I get 6 beeps. I haven't tried to run it yet. I'll be watching for the responses you get.

I just encountered the same issue. I don't know the battery brand, but it is only a couple of weeks old and only run about three times. Not abused. On 2 different chargers it only reads 5s and 22v. When I plug it into the Kagama I get 6 beeps. I haven't tried to run it yet. I'll be watching for the responses you get.
At least your ESC is booting and detecting it which means it should run just fine I'd imagine. That is if you can the charger to recognise it.

What I have seen before is my charger not recognise a cell but it turned out to just be some gunk in one of the balance lead ports, a little clean and then it detected it just fine.

I've had similar problems with a pair of 4s Amazon packs. They were branded as Niwehoo (or similar), where the +ve wire and tab had torn away from the lipo cell. It read as 3s on a checker, zero volts across the connector, and would only occasionally run the truck if I could wiggle the wire and get it to make contact.
2 bad 4s got converted into 2 good 3s, for some 6s fun, so all wasn't lost.
Might be worth opening your pack up and checking the soldering inside.

Yup. A friend of mine recently fiddled with one of his lipo packs. Then he put it on the charger and it started to smoke. 😲 He ended up wrapping it in a throw rug and tossing it outside where it made a proper fiery mess in his yard.

This was after he smoked out his house and set off all of his fire alarms. Yikes.

Back