BashingBrian's Sketer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So last time you may have noticed my esc mod..!! Larger caps 😉 well, this is why...
52T spur 20T pinion..!!!🤪🤪

View attachment 2084

Some test fitting here and there 🤔

View attachment 2086

It fits..!! This is going to be fun 🤣🤣

View attachment 2085

Someone on here commented one day before I had my Sketer saying the receiver box was small, I joked and said just as long as my receiver fits I don't care..!! Well this is me attempting to fit my Futaba R203GF inside 🤔 the only way I could get it to fit was upside down.!!
This receiver box is small and also an awful shape, the bottom is slanted too, but I managed to fit the lid...

View attachment 2087

Didn't want to go for the wide hub setup or wide arms, so I just went with the +5mm M2C hex extenders, something I normally advise people not to do..!! I would never go any wider with extenders and if I'm not happy with it as is, it will then get the wide hub treatment 👍🏼

View attachment 2088View attachment 2090

Haven't run the stock wheels, I bought these and they have 1/2' offset.

View attachment 2092

So for now it's all done, I'll leave you with some close ups and my painted tribute body..👍🏼 😍#TributeUkraine😍
( I can't stand the stock paint scheme, it had to go 😉 )

View attachment 2097View attachment 2096View attachment 2098View attachment 2099View attachment 2100

#TributeUkraine😍

View attachment 2094View attachment 2093

Maiden voyage No1.. so far so good 😁👍🏼

View attachment 2095

Let me know what you all think..🤔
Looks great as ALWAYS Brian!

that ESC mod is super slick!! I am gonna do that with some cap packs i have been meaning to use. the sketer looks super good man nice work

So last time you may have noticed my esc mod..!! Larger caps 😉 well, this is why...
52T spur 20T pinion..!!!🤪🤪

View attachment 2084

Some test fitting here and there 🤔

View attachment 2086

It fits..!! This is going to be fun 🤣🤣

View attachment 2085

Someone on here commented one day before I had my Sketer saying the receiver box was small, I joked and said just as long as my receiver fits I don't care..!! Well this is me attempting to fit my Futaba R203GF inside 🤔 the only way I could get it to fit was upside down.!!
This receiver box is small and also an awful shape, the bottom is slanted too, but I managed to fit the lid...

View attachment 2087

Didn't want to go for the wide hub setup or wide arms, so I just went with the +5mm M2C hex extenders, something I normally advise people not to do..!! I would never go any wider with extenders and if I'm not happy with it as is, it will then get the wide hub treatment 👍🏼

View attachment 2088View attachment 2090

Haven't run the stock wheels, I bought these and they have 1/2' offset.

View attachment 2092

So for now it's all done, I'll leave you with some close ups and my painted tribute body..👍🏼 😍#TributeUkraine😍
( I can't stand the stock paint scheme, it had to go 😉 )

View attachment 2097View attachment 2096View attachment 2098View attachment 2099View attachment 2100

#TributeUkraine😍

View attachment 2094View attachment 2093

Maiden voyage No1.. so far so good 😁👍🏼

View attachment 2095

Let me know what you all think..🤔
Where did you find the clear body to paint?

Wow!! That is some fine work! So clean and well executed!! Nice tribute as well!! Can't wait to see some running footage!!

Great paint job, I just don't care for the shape of the Sketer's body myself.

Maiden run done..!!

Runs like a dream, broke the ESC fan though 😩 so decided to fit some mesh to stop debris getting into the blades..!!

IMG_3488.jpeg

I bought the Corally motor fan mount just in case it was needed ( so far not needed 😎 ) decided to do the same mesh treatment to this housing plus added a fan guard to hold it all in place..

IMG_3489.jpeg

Also built up a new 7075 center diff with 46T spur for even more speed.!!😉🤣🤣

IMG_3494.jpeg
IMG_3497.jpeg

It was these bark chippings that killed the ESC fan, my own fault really..😩
Next run will be with the stock Sketer tyres..

IMG_3478.jpeg

Brian,

Do you have the upgraded Ackerman steering plate and the steering brace? If so, what fasteners and nuts did you use to assemble them?

Sorry, wrong build page.

Took the Sketer out again and ran the stock tyres this time, after fitting some mesh on the ESC all was good at the end of the bash and fan was still working.!!
The motor reached around 182 degrees so I'm going to have a play with gearing little, other than that all seems good and it came home in one piece..😎
These TpPower motors do get hot.. I have one in my O8s and its quite hard to get the gearing quite right, in fact I had to gear that up to get the temps down 🤪🤪 so because of that I might have to swap out to the 46T spur because the motor mount hasn't got anymore slide distance with the 52T running a 20T pinion...

IMG_3538.jpeg

Quick update...
Changed the center diff to experiment with the gearing, last bash I broke the stupid small bumper and lastly changed the ESC cover..😉

Stock 52T center diff...

IMG_3626.jpeg

52T vs 46T, still running the 20T pinion for now..!!

IMG_3628.jpeg
IMG_3629.jpeg

This is extra firm closed cell foam that I've cut to shape for the bumper piece..

IMG_3635.jpeg
IMG_3636.jpeg

Two stage firmness 😉, if this breaks again I'm going to make something with Kydex to attack that bumper.!!

IMG_3637.jpeg

Added a vortex trumpet onto the ESC with the same fiberglass mesh to keep the 💩 out of the ESC 😎👍🏼
I should have added a pic of it before I fitted the mesh so you could see it, but I forgot....

IMG_3632.jpeg
IMG_3634.jpeg

Your insert of the foam to the bumper is a good idea - I did something similar (on an already partly broken one) with a sort of rubber-granulate:
C79D7A88-C186-4CB7-8DDE-D500AFACACEC.jpeg

It worked very well, no further damage anymore. Recently I installed a new bumper with the „stiffener“ from ARP-Design (not because I had to, just because I had time and the parts already at home):
56979295-41A4-41B0-8D89-5211CDC005C9.jpeg

A little hard to see on the picture because the cables are in the way … but this also worked very well up to now.

And I really like the idea with the vortex trumpet - it looks so … „special“ 😉

Last edited:
Well todays bash did and didn't go well 😬🤣

Bumper survived unbroken at the end, but I broke the wheelie bar 🤪
More serious though is the motor hit 235 degrees.!!! back to the drawing board on the gearing for now.!!

I think I forgot to say earlier in this thread but I've only run this truck on 4s so far, I didn't want to go 6s even though the motor/ESC is capable.
The reason being is I already have plenty of 6s rigs and I wanted something 4s..

I'm going to have a rethink on the center diff tooth count, It ran better with the 46T but just got way too hot..!!
Using "RC Car Calculator" for my gearing chart, but I think it's a bit off for the Sketer because of the weight of this truck..

Wow 235 is a little toast brudda!!! Glad the bumper held up though!!! Don't feel bad today was a tough day on sketers I broke my steering arm like 5 min in to my bash party and the wife shared her Outcast with me.

Broke it again....😩

Only a rod end, but didn't have any spares with me so it ended my fun early. Good job I took Mojave EXB with me too, so the fun continued 😎👍🏼.

Even better news is that my TP motor seems to have survived that 235 degree beating, still works fine 👍🏼

IMG_4027.jpeg

These Corally rod ends seem too brittle and a little thin, not sure if they designed them to break to save other parts of the truck or they're just a bad design 🤔 may upgrade them with Tekno balls and ends, going to do some research 👍🏼

You know when prices are getting crazy, it's when you can get Tekno stuff cheaper than Arrma..!!

IMG_4028.jpeg

Broke it again....😩

Only a rod end, but didn't have any spares with me so it ended my fun early. Good job I took Mojave EXB with me too, so the fun continued 😎👍🏼.

Even better news is that my TP motor seems to have survived that 235 degree beating, still works fine 👍🏼

View attachment 2522

These Corally rod ends seem too brittle and a little thin, not sure if they designed them to break to save other parts of the truck or they're just a bad design 🤔 may upgrade them with Tekno balls and ends, going to do some research 👍🏼

You know when prices are getting crazy, it's when you can get Tekno stuff cheaper than Arrma..!!

View attachment 2523
235!!? Wow, that's a testimonial!! Shoulda brought some eggs to fry on that bash!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tekno parts cheaper than Arrma? Yeah, that's a sure indication the world's upside down too!! Love my Tekno, but parts pricing has always been a caveat for me.. guess I can rejoice now!? HaHa!
I said it before.. but just have to say it again, love that paint job!!:D:D

Whats the exact name of the foam so to search it in Ebay or elsewhere?
Thanks.

So I broke the (Arrma tough 🤣😎) Sketer once more....!!
This time I broke the front bumper again and also the wheelie bar, both removed for good now because I'm fed up replacing them, also bent the rear shock tower 🤣 I'm sorry but this proves to me that the bracing does nothing in my opinion..😩

IMG_4608.jpeg

Quick strip down and bit of vice treatment and we're as good as new 👍🏼

IMG_4609.jpeg

Changed the center diff back to stock 52T and upped the oil to 500k also changed pinion to 18T in the hope that I can get the temps in check once and for all 🤪

IMG_4610.jpeg

The next time this thing breaks easily it will be heading for the classifieds 🤔🤣🤣

EDIT.
Forgot to say, the shock tower was bent forwards..!! So you tell me how would that work if the bracing did its job..🤔

Last edited:
You must bash it xtremly hard!
Do you think its possible to add additional towers front and rear?

Back