Asuga The Unmentionable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhhhh very clever!!! Pulling the old 'uno reverso' card out for the TeknošŸ‘

More like "uno trash bin-O" if ya ask me. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

I believe that Iā€™m going to need to add the phase, ā€œno servoā€™s were harmed during my last runā€, to all of my posts going forward!

Right? :LOL:

Welp, apparently TC servos haven't gotten any better. Actually, they may have gotten worses!! My bro's Asuga servo went out on day one, LOL. It's locked up right tight, can't budge the steering arm at all. I told him do yourself a favor, order up a DS3235 for $28 and move on..that makes 4 TC rtr servos between the two of us that have failed in a week or less. Meanwhile, all his rtr Spektrum servos are still going, like 6 of them?! If TC thinks I would ever pay $80 or more for one of their servo upgrades, they're crazy. I mean a 25kg servo in a buggy that dies on day one? Really? I won't spend that much for any servo unless it's 1/5 scale, and that's not likely either TBH. No need. BTW, the Asuga is fire otherwise though, handles "real nice", save the tires. I'm sure they're good "all rounders", but they're quite greasy on our track. Can't fault TC though for that. Now my bro is stuck in "no man's land" with an oversized buggy and no appreciable tires for running on clay.. I warned him about that before purchasing. Maybe truggy tires/wheels with 1/2 offset, but it's going to look funny for sure with such wide tires on it.

Proline badlands 2.8 unbelted. You need 15mm hex extenders to run them! I think they look good on the Asuga.

IMG_20230404_141923.jpg

Proline badlands 2.8 unbelted. You need 15mm hex extenders to run them! I think they look good on the Asuga.

View attachment 6012
They do look good!šŸ‘
Pretty much a truggy in a buggy wrapper though now? We run pin tires for the clay track, though Prolines softer compound does better than any rtr knobbies on clay I admit. They're nice and soft compared to Arrma or TC's tires.

Welp, apparently TC servos haven't gotten any better. Actually, they may have gotten worses!! My bro's Asuga servo went out on day one, LOL. It's locked up right tight, can't budge the steering arm at all. I told him do yourself a favor, order up a DS3235 for $28 and move on..that makes 4 TC rtr servos between the two of us that have failed in a week or less. Meanwhile, all his rtr Spektrum servos are still going, like 6 of them?! If TC thinks I would ever pay $80 or more for one of their servo upgrades, they're crazy. I mean a 25kg servo in a buggy that dies on day one? Really? I won't spend that much for any servo unless it's 1/5 scale, and that's not likely either TBH. No need. BTW, the Asuga is fire otherwise though, handles "real nice", save the tires. I'm sure they're good "all rounders", but they're quite greasy on our track. Can't fault TC though for that. Now my bro is stuck in "no man's land" with an oversized buggy and no appreciable tires for running on clay.. I warned him about that before purchasing. Maybe truggy tires/wheels with 1/2 offset, but it's going to look funny for sure with such wide tires on it.
Forget the TC servos. They're token gestures. It's time to go Protek or AGF if you feel like having some change. šŸ’ŖšŸ‘

If you go AGF, it needs to be the 81BHMW - the 80BHMW isn't rated for 1/8th use apparently.

Forget the TC servos. They're token gestures. It's time to go Protek or AGF if you feel like having some change. šŸ’ŖšŸ‘

If you go AGF, it needs to be the 81BHMW - the 80BHMW isn't rated for 1/8th use apparently.
On my wish list brother!! If I had it ($), I would definitely try them. I'm all DS though, slow, but reliable.. and cheap. Plus, gives my bro a chance to "keep up" while racing. šŸ˜‚ (y)

There's some cheap buggy tires on ebay. They're not bad aside from the inserts. I was going to get another set, but apparently the seller banned me from future purchases with them.

I reported them to ebay for increasing their shipping fee from what was stated in their listing. They told to me to pay the extra shipping or they would refund my money, and this was after I had paid everything in full. So I reported them.

There's some cheap buggy tires on ebay. They're not bad aside from the inserts. I was going to get another set, but apparently the seller banned me from future purchases with them.

I reported them to ebay for increasing their shipping fee from what was stated in their listing. They told to me to pay the extra shipping or they would refund my money, and this was after I had paid everything in full. So I reported them.
I was gonna ask for the link but, eh, sounds like they don't want OUR business..

I have a couple sets of Talion sized pin tires coming from amazon to try. They're 5.75" tall pin tires, look like a copy of the TLR Typhon tread pattern, pretty much identical.
I do have a set of the TLR Typhon Exabytes from JRC. They're okay, hard compound though , so they didn't really hookup well on my clay track, greasy. But I've been on the hunt for an extra tall buggy tire with pins for quite some time now, these amazon tires are the closest I've found yet aside from TRX Response Pro 3.8, which are 5.75" tall but too wide for my use. The Response Pro 3.8 are a tall truggy tire, they work well, my bro has a couple sets, I have one set, but they're pretty much wore out.
I figured at $35 a set, why not? I'll be running a set on my Mojave to try first, then maybe the Mojo armed K6 (Asuga wannabe) if they work out.
https://www.amazon.com/RCMYou-Talion-Typhon-Replace-ARA550097/dp/B0C39VMBWF?th=1

Update to the above mentioned tires.
Disregard, it's a bust. They are standard buggy tires/wheels, 116mm tall, not the advertised 146mm. I suspected they may be misrepresented.. oh well. They appear to be decent quality, the wheels are relatively thick, with suitable material in the hub area. Rubber is fairly firm as I suspected too. They're going back though, I already have enough mediocre buggy tires on hand, LOL.
I guess we don't know "till we know" right? šŸ˜‰šŸ¤£

I was gonna ask for the link but, eh, sounds like they don't want OUR business..

I have a couple sets of Talion sized pin tires coming from amazon to try. They're 5.75" tall pin tires, look like a copy of the TLR Typhon tread pattern, pretty much identical.
I do have a set of the TLR Typhon Exabytes from JRC. They're okay, hard compound though , so they didn't really hookup well on my clay track, greasy. But I've been on the hunt for an extra tall buggy tire with pins for quite some time now, these amazon tires are the closest I've found yet aside from TRX Response Pro 3.8, which are 5.75" tall but too wide for my use. The Response Pro 3.8 are a tall truggy tire, they work well, my bro has a couple sets, I have one set, but they're pretty much wore out.
I figured at $35 a set, why not? I'll be running a set on my Mojave to try first, then maybe the Mojo armed K6 (Asuga wannabe) if they work out.
https://www.amazon.com/RCMYou-Talion-Typhon-Replace-ARA550097/dp/B0C39VMBWF?th=1

Solidarity. (y)

I've seen a bunch of buggy tires on amazon. Some look interesting, others not so much. Tall buggy pin tires? Can't say I've ever really come across them, aside from those Shumacher ones that are like a spiral. Amain has deals sometimes on the TZ tires and even AKAs. Currently running a set of Caymans on my EB48.3, and they grip pretty good. Not too tall of a spike, so they might be passable on clay. If its smooth clay I'd recommend the Radars, Scribbles, or even Lesnars. GRP Cubics are on sale at amain right now for 20 bucks a pair.

Oh, also forgot to mention Nitrohobbies. They have deals sometimes on buggy tires.

Update to the above mentioned tires.
Disregard, it's a bust. They are standard buggy tires/wheels, 116mm tall, not the advertised 146mm. I suspected they may be misrepresented.. oh well. They appear to be decent quality, the wheels are relatively thick, with suitable material in the hub area. Rubber is fairly firm as I suspected too. They're going back though, I already have enough mediocre buggy tires on hand, LOL.
I guess we don't know "till we know" right? šŸ˜‰šŸ¤£

Dang. Sorry to hear. Supposedly some time later this year our track is going to be smooth clay. I won't hold my breath until I see it done, but if it ever does, I'll see how the Caymans like smooth clay.

If not, I'll be searching for some clay tires. Tried the Elipse, and it doesn't perform well on loose dirt.

Solidarity. (y)

I've seen a bunch of buggy tires on amazon. Some look interesting, others not so much. Tall buggy pin tires? Can't say I've ever really come across them, aside from those Shumacher ones that are like a spiral. Amain has deals sometimes on the TZ tires and even AKAs. Currently running a set of Caymans on my EB48.3, and they grip pretty good. Not too tall of a spike, so they might be passable on clay. If its smooth clay I'd recommend the Radars, Scribbles, or even Lesnars. GRP Cubics are on sale at amain right now for 20 bucks a pair.

Oh, also forgot to mention Nitrohobbies. They have deals sometimes on buggy tires.

Dang. Sorry to hear. Supposedly some time later this year our track is going to be smooth clay. I won't hold my breath until I see it done, but if it ever does, I'll see how the Caymans like smooth clay.

If not, I'll be searching for some clay tires. Tried the Elipse, and it doesn't perform well on loose dirt.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah it seems I'm looking for a unicorn, actually a set of unicorns, LOL. To clarify, I'm not looking for tires with tall pins, but rather tall tires with pins. The amazon/aliex stuff is usually a pretty hard compound which is okay for bashing but doesn't really provide any real level of grip in my experience. Same for most OE tires, Arrma, TC, TRX..
Some backround details, my "track" is really just a giant figure 8 we carved out of the woods on my property. It's anything but smooth, mostly clay, which is like concrete during the dry months. I could certainly blow or sweep the loose dirt off to help get better grip from the low height pins that are commonly used for clay in racing, but that just makes for an even rougher surface since usually the lose dirt helps fill the cracks and irregularities. Lots of rocks, roots, ect. For traditional truggies the 5.5" race tires work well, we also run 1/8 buggies, but the surface is quite rough and they get overwhelmed pretty easily, gotta be pretty conservative to make good laps with them.
I have a 6s Mojave, which is a cool rig, but can only really run with a similar rig due to it's heft and narrow stance. My bro refuses to get into an sct. I was hoping he might grab a rig that I could run against with the Mojo but, ain't happening I don't think.
So, I first converted the Mojo to a "Kraton xl", cool, but not track worthy in any realistic capacity. I'm now back to the Mojo, sort of, still has wide arms from the Kraton, narrow hubs from the Mojo/Typhon. I hogged out the wheel wells of the Mojo body and have been experimenting with different tires. The Mojo Fortress are a bit short, bottoms out too much for my liking. Plus there's really nothing clay worthy in that size. Essentially the Mojo and Asuga run the same 5.25" tall narrow tire size. Tried some 5.5" Losi XTT, great grip, too soft in the sidewalls, they get shredded rather quickly.. so next up was a set of Katar T's for the Arrma Talion, which are 5.75" or 146mm tall. Perfect in size, sidewalls are short, but they seem to hold up really well. Only problem is the tread pattern, well compound too, but basically they just lack grip for clay, too aggressive and open in the tread pattern..
So, that's where I'm at. Long wind, sorry.
I'll likely have to settle for some 5.5" truggy tires and just replace when the sidewalls tear. IDK. TRX does still make the 3.8 Response Pro which is 5.75" tall. 3.8 bead though, so stuck with TRX wheels there, and they only come in 1/2 offset with the splined 17mm hex..

Welcome! Sounds like you have quite the conundrum. I'm not too sure where or who sells taller buggy tires; truth be told I just kinda look at tread pattern. It also seems like we have similar surfaces to navigate. Our track here is clay based, with loose parts and a bit of rocks, ruts and bumps. The truggies handle it a lot better than the buggies do; one has to focus a bit more when driving a buggy. Maybe the Asuga tires will yield better results? I'm thinking that since the Asuga is a bigger buggy, it should have bigger/taller tires. The tread may not be the greatest though.

I'd offer a set of Magmas, but those are more like a basher tire. They'd probably feel pretty loose on a solid surface. I got them because at the time the track was pretty dusty and loose. I even have a set of Duratrax Badlands imitations; those didn't fare too well either. Well, on the loose dirt it produced some impressive rooster tails, but elsewhere on the track they seemed stiff and a little slippery.

I think the Gridirons and the Caymans have produced the best results so far. The Caymans are on my EB48.3 and the Gridirons are on my Python. Speaking of Python, that poor girl has been sitting. I tried to get her tuned up and race worthy, but there's something I'm missing in her equation. Maybe when I have a little more time in the summer I'll give her a good shakedown and see what I can improve.

Best of luck with the search!

Welcome! Sounds like you have quite the conundrum. I'm not too sure where or who sells taller buggy tires; truth be told I just kinda look at tread pattern. It also seems like we have similar surfaces to navigate. Our track here is clay based, with loose parts and a bit of rocks, ruts and bumps. The truggies handle it a lot better than the buggies do; one has to focus a bit more when driving a buggy. Maybe the Asuga tires will yield better results? I'm thinking that since the Asuga is a bigger buggy, it should have bigger/taller tires. The tread may not be the greatest though.

I'd offer a set of Magmas, but those are more like a basher tire. They'd probably feel pretty loose on a solid surface. I got them because at the time the track was pretty dusty and loose. I even have a set of Duratrax Badlands imitations; those didn't fare too well either. Well, on the loose dirt it produced some impressive rooster tails, but elsewhere on the track they seemed stiff and a little slippery.

I think the Gridirons and the Caymans have produced the best results so far. The Caymans are on my EB48.3 and the Gridirons are on my Python. Speaking of Python, that poor girl has been sitting. I tried to get her tuned up and race worthy, but there's something I'm missing in her equation. Maybe when I have a little more time in the summer I'll give her a good shakedown and see what I can improve.

Best of luck with the search!
Thanks brother! My bro go a chance to run the Asuga on our track two weekends ago. The Asuga handles really well, tires, eh. To hard and chunky for the clay, they were greasy TBH. I think I just have to go with truggy race tires for the Mojo, only realistic solution I think.
As to the Asuga, well, he's probably going to run either 1/2 offset truggy or zero offset truggy with hub extensions. Which nearly turns the Asuga into a truggy anyway IMO. LOL

Any time! Well dang...that sucks. I suppose that's the norm for stock tires; rare do we hear about how well they perform. Have you checked JRC? Maybe there's some tires from a HoBao that might do the trick?

It'd be interesting to see your Mojo on truggy tires. The Asuga we've seen them on truggy tires. Almost reminds me of the "Monster Slash" that people used to run awhile back. I think that was Maxx tires on a 2WD Slash. Looked beefy as heck. The Asuga seems similar when they put those big Badlands on.

Hey that's an idea. How about looking for a SCT body for your bro's Asuga? It technically wouldn't be a SCT, so perhaps that could be the gateway? :D It would be a Krajo/Mojaton vs Asugajave? MoSuga?

Any time! Well dang...that sucks. I suppose that's the norm for stock tires; rare do we hear about how well they perform. Have you checked JRC? Maybe there's some tires from a HoBao that might do the trick?

It'd be interesting to see your Mojo on truggy tires. The Asuga we've seen them on truggy tires. Almost reminds me of the "Monster Slash" that people used to run awhile back. I think that was Maxx tires on a 2WD Slash. Looked beefy as heck. The Asuga seems similar when they put those big Badlands on.

Hey that's an idea. How about looking for a SCT body for your bro's Asuga? It technically wouldn't be a SCT, so perhaps that could be the gateway? :D It would be a Krajo/Mojaton vs Asugajave? MoSuga?
I think the rtr tires work okay for most, at least for bashing where folks are running on differing terrains. I never leave home with my rc's, so my use is atypical in that respect. I do have a good sized yard, but TBH running on grass doesn't really excite me. For a quick test run maybe, or the occasional ramp session, but mainly I'm running on the track. I do have a set of the Hobao truggy pins, too fine of a pattern for the dusty clay I think, plus they're relatively thin and light. I don't think they'd hold up to a heavy 6s rig. I ran them on the Kaiju with 4s for a spell. The wheels are 1/2 offset which the Kaiju needs for stability. They might be worth a shot on the Asuga. I literally have cabinets and bins full of rc tires/wheels, at least 50 sets of all scales, tread and sizes. Too many LOL. I didn't grab any pics of the Mojo with the Losi XTT but did take a couple pics of it with the Katar T's on. Also a pic of the narrow Kraton with BE Coolrich from AliEx..

20240510_192505.jpg

20240510_192532.jpg

20240510_192451.jpg

20240426_181509.jpg

I think the rtr tires work okay for most, at least for bashing where folks are running on differing terrains. I never leave home with my rc's, so my use is atypical in that respect. I do have a good sized yard, but TBH running on grass doesn't really excite me. For a quick test run maybe, or the occasional ramp session, but mainly I'm running on the track. I do have a set of the Hobao truggy pins, too fine of a pattern for the dusty clay I think, plus they're relatively thin and light. I don't think they'd hold up to a heavy 6s rig. I ran them on the Kaiju with 4s for a spell. The wheels are 1/2 offset which the Kaiju needs for stability. They might be worth a shot on the Asuga. I literally have cabinets and bins full of rc tires/wheels, at least 50 sets of all scales, tread and sizes. Too many LOL. I didn't grab any pics of the Mojo with the Losi XTT but did take a couple pics of it with the Katar T's on. Also a pic of the narrow Kraton with BE Coolrich from AliEx..

View attachment 6048

View attachment 6049

View attachment 6050

View attachment 6051
Normally Iā€™m not a huge ST guy but that Mojave looks bad azz brother! Fire! šŸ”„

I want to see how narrow you got the Kraton! šŸ‘

Normally Iā€™m not a huge ST guy but that Mojave looks bad azz brother! Fire! šŸ”„

I want to see how narrow you got the Kraton! šŸ‘
The Mojo and Kraton have undergone a few changes recently.. and as you can see, never washed!!šŸ˜œ Actually that's not true, I washed a whole pile of rc bodies last fall. Not that you could tell that now, LOL.
But yeah, the Mojo originally got the Kraton arms and related parts, Kraton got the Mojo parts.. but then I decided to narrow the Mojo and widen the Kraton by a bit. So the Mojo got narrow hubs, Kraton got wide hubs. I like the current setup the best thus far.. I plan on buying some proper race quality rubber for all my truggies going forward, no more DTX, Losi or TRX crappy tires with open cell foam. I finally realized if you want the good stuff you gotta pony up for it, LOL. Not that I've been so disappointed by the tires, but the open cell foams just deteriorate so quickly it's saddening..
Here's a couple few pics of the two from last year. You'll notice that the Mojo was a Kraton XL until the RC Shredder body crumbled to bits, which prompted me to revisit and modify the Mojo body to it's current state..

20240423_101403.jpg

20231020_115341.jpg

20230922_143642.jpg

20230922_143458.jpg

20230922_142451.jpg

20230922_142420.jpg

20230715_120926.jpg

20230412_185505.jpg

20230329_200150.jpg

20230320_193415.jpg

Back