Sketer Weak Point - Hinge Pin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgehead44

Reaction score
So, I have knocked the hinge pin out three times on the right A-arm. A buddy of mine did it last week. That's a total of 4x the right hinge pin came out after a crash. It seems like this is a weak point on the rig. Is there a way to trouble shoot this? I've driven and crashed the car hard, plenty of times. Otherwise it's bulletproof! But this is the only thing that seems to fail on the rig. Any ideas? Thanks so much in advance for your help.

IMG_20231218_154044764.jpg

Did not have that problem....yet. and i abused mine a lot. Even broke the lower arm. Maybe the hinge pin holder is bent? I have 7075 ones in mine. Still it is strange that it keeps popping out 🤔

The only things I can think of is that the front and rear hinge pin holders are loose or bent, the holes are damaged, or the pin is broken.
Can't see how the pin would otherwise be able to pop out.

I'm doing a wide build upgrade, so I could upgrade those as well. Where did you buy the 7075 ones?
Ask Erik van Ravenstein on Crapbook. He has really nice custom parts for the Sketer. Loads of info on it in my Sketer threat

Hmmm. Here's the front piece that holds the hinge pin. It looks a little worn out/open wider than it should be. Does it look like this is the issue?

1703025835316.png

Here's the rear one. Does it look okay, or does it look like it needs to be replaced?

1703025893144.png

Well these were mine after I face-planted the back of a berm.

IMG_20231220_000304_832~2.jpg

Both front and rear were damaged, as well as the pin snapping. I found the new pin didn't fit well, so I had to replace the braces too 😕

I think that the worn holes will allow the pin to slip out as it bends, rather than a good hole which will be more of a shearing force.

And thanks to Basil for 'helping' with the photo
IMG_20231220_000245_489~2.jpg

Okay. I'll order them. How does one replace the rear hinge pin plate? Will I remove the front diff to access it?

Well these were mine after I face-planted the back of a berm.

View attachment 5014
Both front and rear were damaged, as well as the pin snapping. I found the new pin didn't fit well, so I had to replace the braces too 😕

I think that the worn holes will allow the pin to slip out as it bends, rather than a good hole which will be more of a shearing force.

And thanks to Basil for 'helping' with the photo
View attachment 5015
No help like feline help when doing RC car stuff! 😻

Okay. I'll order them. How does one replace the rear hinge pin plate? Will I remove the front diff to access it?
If it's the same as the 6s trucks, then the diff case can be removed from the chassis with 4 csk bolts, 2 from the steering posts, a couple from the front brace, one from the servo link, and then the whole assembly comes away for easy access to the hinge pin braces.
IMG_20231119_144715_633.jpg

Back